Ultralight Saw Option

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you guys post a link to the different blades? I did some searching and can't find the blades sold independently. Thanks.

Amazon has the large, medium and fine blades for the 130mm Pocketboy. They’re pretty proud of them though. I bought my blades on eBay from a Japanese vendor for less- not sure if he’s still selling.

Shraggs

WKR
That’s what I thought. Paid and ordered two 5 weeks ago and tracking he sent says in hit US on 9/1. I’m a bit concerned, not ticked yet…

WoodBow

WKR
These saws look great. I wanted to give another option for those with the DIY spirit. I used it on a trip last week and performed amazing when skull capping a buck.

Tahoe1305

WKR
These saws look great. I wanted to give another option for those with the DIY spirit. I used it on a trip last week and performed amazing when skull capping a buck.
Agree. I started on that thread and then when trying to search for it again found this other thread.

I “assume” that these reciprocating saw blade setups are really good for bone but less effective then the silky for wood. About the same weight too which is cool.

I tend to use one for wood a lot more than bone (maybe because I’m a bad hunter…..) so the silky is my go to. It’s the 210mm model (~9” blade) and is solid cutting 7” wood or so.

Curious if anyone has tested the reciprocating blades on wood like that?

WoodBow

WKR
Agree. I started on that thread and then when trying to search for it again found this other thread.

I “assume” that these reciprocating saw blade setups are really good for bone but less effective then the silky for wood. About the same weight too which is cool.

I tend to use one for wood a lot more than bone (maybe because I’m a bad hunter…..) so the silky is my go to. It’s the 210mm model (~9” blade) and is solid cutting 7” wood or so.

Curious if anyone has tested the reciprocating blades on wood like that?
This is the saw that originally got my attention and led me to design mine. Skip towards the end of the video to see him cut through a 7 or 8" hardwood log.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
Gonna have to look into the one from the OP, but wanted to throw out my suggestion - the Opinel 12. 120mm locking blade, round handle, and some panache at 4.05 oz on my scale.

SCIE_1245_2000x.jpg

valtteri

FNG
I bought a Silky Gomtaro 300 (12” blade) replacement blade. As a test, I simply cut out the cardboard out of the plastic shrink wrap for a blade guard.

Wrapped the bare handle with some grippy and soft tape.

With the og packaging as blade guard, weighs less than 4oz.

With an actual plastic blade guard cut to size, weighs exactly 4oz.

Did some test cutting and with gloves on, it’s fine. Wouldn’t use it for cutting firewood on a day-to-day basis but for a 7 day trip at a time, more than fine.2473E184-B49E-4EB9-A0B1-54DB002B247E.jpeg9E64A645-F9D7-45DA-B373-1CDDF21DCD2A.jpeg

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered (1) 170mm handle and (1) 130mm handle from Jan. I just received them and I am not going to end up using the 130mm handle. If anyone wants it, it is theirs for what I paid ($35).

Attachments

• IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 91

JordanM

FNG
I got my handle shipped quickly from Jan. Great experience and everything it is cracked up to be. Thanks @mtwarden for making this public knowledge. Love this forum.

Elnicko

WKR
Got to test out the handle this year. Worked great for cutting firewood and saved my ass when my bull piled up in an hole under a bunch of downed trees and limbs. Would have never got him out of there by myself without it.