Silky Saws

Thought I'd start this thread to have one place dedicated to all Silky Saw models and experiences.

I've been looking into backpacking/camping saws and it looks like Silky saws are top of the line. Seems a lot of people here use them and love them.

Hoping this thread can help in the decision process.

Considering the Super Accel curve 210 or the Gomtaro 210, and picking up a fine blade for use on game.
Both seem like a good all-around saw, long enough for some larger pieces but still light and compact.

Definitely going to have to get a Katana Boy at some point for around the house, car camping and to leave in the vehicle.

Shraggs

WKR
Think I have almost every folding silky including the katana boy. Can’t say enough about them.

For an all rounder the 210 gomboy is great.

The smaller 170 are what I hunt with.

The big boy is what I think competes and beats any bow saw for more extended fire wood camp chores.

Katana is for survival, homesteading or trail/road clearing if no chain saw.

Most folders I have medium teeth, but if I’m in hard woods I’ll switch to fine teeth. Large teeth are best for soft and green wood.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 210 Gomboy and use it often. Works great for clearing brush, cutting stove wood, and goes through a whitetail sternum like it’s butter.

Medium teeth and curved blade will probably be your best bet. 210mm blade is 8.25" . I would consider a limb saw to be indispensable when hunting

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Pocketboy 170 and it makes cutting up firewood for my Seek Outside stove a breeze. I don't know how I ever used the cheap saw I used to pack around. I don't use saws for breaking down game, the Havalon Piranta is all I need for an elk so I have no experience with any thinner tooth saws.
No issues with the tip breaking on the 170, but I am pretty hard on things so I will stop short of saying it won't ever break.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have an Ibuki (kind of large for backpacking) and a Pocketboy 170. The latter would make a great pack saw. I carry a combo Wyoming saw so I've never taken the pocketboy out. Both are great little saws. You cannot go wrong with any Silky.

Edit to add, My Ibuki is a 390.

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
Where in the heck did you get that?! I love the silky saws, but the handles are so heavy!
170mm blades. A guy overseas is making them on one of the backpacking forums.

Here is a thread on it

psirus7

WKR
170mm blades. A guy overseas is making them on one of the backpacking forums.

Here is a thread on it

Thanks! Email sent to Jan!