Ultralight Ground Blind Chair

jdvanstar

WKR
I live in the midwest and hunt excusively from the ground. I like to be ultra-portable, taking with me a small fold up chair and a roll of camo fabric. I've had a lot of success hunting this way but my chair has been killing me. It's a small three-legged stool (https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...eg-hunting-stool/bdga-200/p-1454046229050.htm) with no back support. It was cheap and it's super light but I need something with some back support.

Any suggestions for something that'd be a little comfier but stilll portable (small, light, etc)?

Turkey chair and an ASAT leafy suit are my ground hunting go to things.
eaa6f89cd5b6ad946eda1e4a0cc4866d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamm88

WKR
I sit up against a tree brushed in on a butt pad, when i shot opritunities comes i get on my knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Flexlite chair from REI. You can usually find d it on sale. Used mine mule deer hunting quite a bit this year. It's small and lightweight, also half the price of a helinox chair.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
The top section of a Lone Wolf hand climber makes a very light seat for ground hunting but not in a blind. You can rig it with a ratchet strap and get your back up against a very large tree....or use the traction belt for a smaller tree.

Another vote for Helinox. Rig something to put under the legs as they can dig into the ground a bit. A sheet of plastic or something.

Beendare

WKR
The 'shooting a recurve' creates a unique set of circumstances- been there.

The problem with the Helinox style chairs are the angle. They are designed for relaxing...thus are leaned back a little....almost impossible to shoot a recurve from that style chair vs the upright stool concept. The 3 legged stools with back are designed better for sitting more upright and still being able to shoot from them....but they aren't exactly UL.

You could use a REI/Helinox chair for comfort and roll onto your knees to shoot?

As a side note, I have been in buddies' GB's that were impossible to shoot from with a recurve......I see why you use the fabric and I recently had to setup one of those on a hunt vs the GB. Have you tried the taller GB's from Barronet that are 80" tall by chance?

danarnold

WKR
The 'shooting a recurve' creates a unique set of circumstances- been there.

The problem with the Helinox style chairs are the angle. They are designed for relaxing...thus are leaned back a little....almost impossible to shoot a recurve from that style chair vs the upright stool concept. The 3 legged stools with back are designed better for sitting more upright and still being able to shoot from them....but they aren't exactly UL.

You could use a REI/Helinox chair for comfort and roll onto your knees to shoot?

As a side note, I have been in buddies' GB's that were impossible to shoot from with a recurve......I see why you use the fabric and I recently had to setup one of those on a hunt vs the GB. Have you tried the taller GB's from Barronet that are 80" tall by chance?

in my experience (shooting a compound) the helinox swivel fit the bill, the non swivel wouldn't work in my application. I've made comfortable kill shots on elk and whitetail without a blind. also I do practice shooting my bow from every position I think I'll be in hunting

Shraggs

WKR
I bought a light weight stool from my mountain shop, but can’t recall the name. Not much more than a pound. Great option comfortable but no back. Got the size just a touch low and it makes it much more comfortable cause knees are up some to level and I can lean forward onto my knees. Easy to shoot any weapon from it.

Helinox chair zero is just under a pound. Comfy. Beendare is right. Can’t shoot from it. But I have absolutely set up knowing I need to get on my knees with staged weapon. Best in a concealment blind to hide movement.

I’ll see if I can get the stool maker brand for you as they have many models. Who knows maybe one with a back.

John

Shraggs

WKR
I bought a light weight stool from my mountain shop, but can’t recall the name. Not much more than a pound. Great option comfortable but no back. Got the size just a touch low and it makes it much more comfortable cause knees are up some to level and I can lean forward onto my knees. Easy to shoot any weapon from it.

Helinox chair zero is just under a pound. Comfy. Beendare is right. Can’t shoot from it. But I have absolutely set up knowing I need to get on my knees with staged weapon. Best in a concealment blind to hide movement.

I’ll see if I can get the stool maker brand for you as they have many models. Who knows maybe one with a back.

John

The stool is from Walkstool. 24oz and packs 12”. They don’t offer one with a back tho