Ultralight double wall shelter thoughts?

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tarptent Stratospire Li- very roomy for one, not overly roomy for two. Double entrance, double vestibules (that are pretty roomy), it's a true double wall construction and has done well in some pretty nasty weather. It's a strong 3.5 season shelter imo.

It weighs in at under 2 lbs (all in) which doesn't seem possible, but it is :).

0PmuFlS.jpg

jW1Gz0W.jpg
Yeah I’ve seen you post about your tent before. Thanks for the input! I’m heavily considering it as well. So light for a 2P double wall.

6.5x284

WKR
Are you happy with the Notch? How tall are you?

I don’t have enough real world experience yet to be honest. I’m 6’0” and length wise it’s fine. Definitely a 1 person shelter though. If I wasn’t worried about actual ground space available to pitch I would have gone Stratospire Li but I was worried I wouldn’t be able to find a spot up high big enough on a few of the ridges I plan to glass and sleep from. With the vestibules though my gear all fits in out of the weather. I think it’ll be a little bombproof shelter for tight spaces. I’ll be taking it to the MT Unlimiteds this year. I did add 4 additional guy out points in case I have to pitch up on a nasty ridge for a night in brutal winds. The down side of the Notch Li would be getting weathered into your tent for a day or two. Stratospire Li would be much better in that regards. I’ll probably pick up a Strat Li as well to round out my quiver for other trips and offload one or my tipis.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Small weight penalty (7oz extra, 29 oz total weight) for a lot more versatility if you go stratosphire Li. I prefer having some space to spread gear around and option of 2 up.

I was looking at the pro model. Seems the standard [X-Mid] is double wall and looks very nice!
Yes we essentially have three versions of the X-Mid:

X-Mid: Doublewall with a silpoly fly and mesh inner
X-Mid Solid: Doublewall with a silpoly fly and mostly solid fabric inner
X-Mid Pro: Hybrid/Singlewall with a DCF fly.

We have each of those three versions for the 1P and 2P sizes, except the Pro 1P won't be out for another 6-10 months. For the 1P and 2P the Solid versions aren't officially released yet, but they will be formally announced in a few weeks when they go on presale (June 16 for delivery in early August). They will sell out in a few minutes so we recommend being on the stock notification list. We are working to make these easier to get which has been hard during covid, but we'll have much better supply starting in the fall when we'll hopefully be able to keep them in stock.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seek Outside Guardian , Silex or Eolus all fit the bill. Right around 2 lbs for each in Dyneema, with mostly solid inner .

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I just got in line for a Durston X-mid 1 P with solid nest today for $269! Will save 2 full pounds on my pack weight over my Marmot Tungsten. They went on sale, preorder, at 10:00 AM central time today.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I just got in line for a Durston X-mid 1 P with solid nest today for $269! Will save 2 full pounds on my pack weight over my Marmot Tungsten. They went on sale, preorder, at 10:00 AM central time today.

I got one two, will be my third xmid 1P! Had v1, v2, now solid! Just posted my v2 for sale in classifieds…

I thought the 1oz penalty for the draft reduction, splatter reduction, etc. made sense? I also liked the color better if I’m honest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a durston 2p today. Have any of you guys tried both the 1p and 2p? I was hemming and hawing on which one to get, but figured that the 2p would allow use backpacking with my wife

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I got a durston 2p today. Have any of you guys tried both the 1p and 2p? I was hemming and hawing on which one to get, but figured that the 2p would allow use backpacking with my wife

I have no personal experience with 2P but I’ve heard foot print is huge. I can imagine it is because 1P isn’t small…

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider

I’m sure you will be thrilled with it though. They are awesome tents and can’t be neat IMO…I might buy a 2P one day for some reason you said, can go with my wife…

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
Yes we essentially have three versions of the X-Mid:

X-Mid: Doublewall with a silpoly fly and mesh inner
X-Mid Solid: Doublewall with a silpoly fly and mostly solid fabric inner
X-Mid Pro: Hybrid/Singlewall with a DCF fly.

We have each of those three versions for the 1P and 2P sizes, except the Pro 1P won't be out for another 6-10 months. For the 1P and 2P the Solid versions aren't officially released yet, but they will be formally announced in a few weeks when they go on presale (June 16 for delivery in early August). They will sell out in a few minutes so we recommend being on the stock notification list. We are working to make these easier to get which has been hard during covid, but we'll have much better supply starting in the fall when we'll hopefully be able to keep them in stock.
Where are they manufactured?

When someone says "double wall" this is what I think they mean:

The inner material should be breathable, able to hold in at least a smidge of heat, and modestly prevent condensation from dripping. I don't consider mosquito mesh to fit those criteria.
msr-hubba-hubba-2-2022.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most shelters that aren’t considered single wall are referred to as double wall- mesh or solid inner. There are now shelters that are “hybrid” - part single wall, part double.

A mesh interior does a good job of mitigating condensation. Solid interiors typical of 3+ or 4 season shelters- retains heat better and less spin drift from snow.

I'm pretty sure the Durston mid's are made in Vietnam. Not USA but a far cry from China. I've also heard that its a factory that also manufactures some of MSR's stuff. I'm sure Dan Durston will correct me if I'm wrong.

I grabbed a 2P Durston yesterday in the solid. Kind of wish they had one a little more in between. I generally like as much ventilation as I can get, but the original had the screen going down so far I was concerned with snow blowing in and silting through the mesh (which I've had issues with before in other tents). In my perfect world it would be mesh from about the window level (say a foot from the ground) and up. Excited to try it out.

A mesh interior does a good job of mitigating condensation.

Maybe out west? I've spent too many humid Ozark nights get misted by condensation falling through mesh as rain pelted the fly. I haven't even experienced that in single wall Montana to Arizona tho.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm pretty sure the Durston mid's are made in Vietnam. Not USA but a far cry from China. I've also heard that its a factory that also manufactures some of MSR's stuff. I'm sure Dan Durston will correct me if I'm wrong.

I grabbed a 2P Durston yesterday in the solid. Kind of wish they had one a little more in between. I generally like as much ventilation as I can get, but the original had the screen going down so far I was concerned with snow blowing in and silting through the mesh (which I've had issues with before in other tents). In my perfect world it would be mesh from about the window level (say a foot from the ground) and up. Excited to try it out.
The regular X mids are made in Vietnam, the X Mid Pro in DCF is made in China. The China factory is the only factory in the world that is capable of heat bonding DCF. Same factory that TT, Big Agnes etc DCF tents are manufactured. His Vietnam factory is the same one that makes MSR tents and others. US doesn't have the capability on our manufacturing side that those places have, it sucks but it is what it is.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tarptent Stratospire Li- very roomy for one, not overly roomy for two. Double entrance, double vestibules (that are pretty roomy), it's a true double wall construction and has done well in some pretty nasty weather. It's a strong 3.5 season shelter imo.

It weighs in at under 2 lbs (all in) which doesn't seem possible, but it is :).

0PmuFlS.jpg

jW1Gz0W.jpg
I was planning on getting a Double Rainbow Li with the liner, but I think this might suit me better