Ultralight double wall shelter thoughts?

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

Im researching lightweight tents for high country mule deer trips and ultimately a Dall hunt in 2024. I’m pretty sure I want double wall to help with condensation. I’m leaning heavily towards a Tarptent Notch LI. Anyone else have any ideas?

Jimss

WKR
Hilleberg tents are amazing! I actually use my Nallo GT with and without the inner mesh body with bathroom tub floor. The fly is bomber-proof when use alone without the inner body if I want to go super light. The Anjan is similar to the Nallo with better airflow with vents on each end plus the bottom of the fly doesn't go all the way to the ground. Overall the Anjan is lighter construction but better ventillation than the nallo.

The huge vestibule is amazing for storing gear, drying clothes, and cooking when it rains. You can also vent the body of the tent when the vestibule is slightly open.

I've been on numerous long sheep and goat trips in Alaska and would rather have more room than cramped for space. I really like the design of the Nallo and Anjans. The walls are steep so there is actually more usable room inside than other types....plus lots of space in the vestibule. If you have 2 guys in 1 tent plus gear on an extended Alaska hunt in rough conditions you know exactly what I'm talking about!

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
No, it has an inner mesh body and a rain fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has an inner mesh for bugs but there is not a second mesh on top. The ceiling of the tent is single wall so nothing there to help with condensation.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
It has an inner mesh for bugs but there is not a second mesh on top. The ceiling of the tent is single wall so nothing there to help with condensation.

Not sure exactly what you mean by second mesh on top. There is no solid inner option, yet, Dan is working on one. But it is a traditional ultralight double wall tent that you would compare to how most freestanding ones are built with mesh inner with bathtub floor and rain fly. The mesh inner and fly are separate at top so it does help with condensation some as it prevents you from rubbing and it won’t drip on you. I’ve had two of them and they are awesome tents. There is a pro version coming out that is dyneema too. Good luck in your search.

Hey guys,

Im researching lightweight tents for high country mule deer trips and ultimately a Dall hunt in 2024. I’m pretty sure I want double wall to help with condensation. I’m leaning heavily towards a Tarptent Notch LI. Anyone else have any ideas?

You might want to take a look at a North Face Mountain 25. It's about 6 or 7 lbs. Double wall 4-season mountain tent. Great in the wind and can withstand a pretty substantial snow load. I have three of them that I use in Alaska, on occasion. Darn good tent.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Silex , can be a total double tent pitched at once. The Eolus can , the Forthcoming Guardian can.

They all are around 2 lbs in Dyneema , 2 - 3 lbs in Nylon. Guardian maybe a couple ounces more (larger).

They all can pitch the inner and outer at the same time so the inner is protected from rain. They can be left attached.

I would consider all of them , close to 4 season with the current inners, probably 3.5 season. Some mesh for breathability but mostly DWR.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure exactly what you mean by second mesh on top. There is no solid inner option, yet, Dan is working on one. But it is a traditional ultralight double wall tent that you would compare to how most freestanding ones are built with mesh inner with bathtub floor and rain fly. The mesh inner and fly are separate at top so it does help with condensation some as it prevents you from rubbing and it won’t drip on you. I’ve had two of them and they are awesome tents. There is a pro version coming out that is dyneema too. Good luck in your search.

Can you link the model you describe? The ones I see have a bug mesh side wall but no mesh on top. Maybe I’m looking at the wrong one bc this one says single wall in the description.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Can you link the model you describe? The ones I see have a bug mesh side wall but no mesh on top. Maybe I’m looking at the wrong one bc this one says single wall in the description.

1d10e244583d4a5e6cdbae812a2a11de.jpg

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been running the 2 man Li (great if you use walking poles). 29 oz for a double wall. I use the solid interior which is more suited to cold winter conditions, Ill open a zip if needing summer ventilation. The only very very minor downside is not much headroom when lying down.
Impressive stability in wind. Epic product if you want to be mobile with a decent shelter.

Last edited:
OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider

I was looking at the pro model. Seems the standard model is double wall and looks very nice!

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the pro model. Seems the standard model is double wall and looks very nice!

Got it, I didn’t know the pro was a different design other than dyneema. Dan is active on the forum and would be happy to answer your questions. He’s been active on this thread below over last couple days.

The x mid is an awesome tent. It’s hard to beat IMO when you consider all the trade offs he made to get great balance of weight, features, strength, etc. There is a reason they sell out in seconds. That’s the one downfall, hard to find.

Good luck.

Durston X-Mid Tents

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Tarptent Stratospire Li- very roomy for one, not overly roomy for two. Double entrance, double vestibules (that are pretty roomy), it's a true double wall construction and has done well in some pretty nasty weather. It's a strong 3.5 season shelter imo.

It weighs in at under 2 lbs (all in) which doesn't seem possible, but it is :).

0PmuFlS.jpg

jW1Gz0W.jpg

6.5x284

WKR
Notch Li is what I went with for a true double wall at 19oz. If you find something else let me know! Other option is Stratospire Li as well if you need more space or have bigger pitch sites.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You might want to take a look at a North Face Mountain 25. It's about 6 or 7 lbs. Double wall 4-season mountain tent. Great in the wind and can withstand a pretty substantial snow load. I have three of them that I use in Alaska, on occasion. Darn good tent.
NF Mountain 25 is almost 10lbs, 9lbs 13oz. They've never made a 6lb version of that tent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Notch Li is what I went with for a true double wall at 19oz. If you find something else let me know! Other option is Stratospire Li as well if you need more space or have bigger pitch sites.

Are you happy with the Notch? How tall are you?