Ultralight Camp Set up

Doddse1

FNG
Hey Everyone,

I am looking for some advice regarding my camp kitchen set up. For a little context, I have only used a jetboil and freeze dried meals. I have a second season mule deer tag in some high country this year (9k-12K) for an 8 day hunt. I have an msr whisperlite but never used it on a hunt. Just camping in the winter. I am considering the MSR pocket rocket delux with either a 700ml titanium pot, the sea to summit alpha 1.2L pot, or the MSR Trail Lite Pot. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I plan on eating out of the pot occasionally, and melting snow if needed. is it true that titanium can be difficult to clean and that food sticks to the bottom? I have never used any titanium pot for a long hunt. Again, any advice is appreciated.

-Elliott

Drenalin

WKR
I use a BRS stove and and a 650 ml pot - I’ve cooked in the pot and have come to the conclusion that it will never look clean again. But I haven’t gotten sick continuing to use it, so there’s that.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I also use a BRS stove and a 750mL pot (Toaks). I don't cook anything in it except oatmeal which cleans out pretty easily if you don't let it dry. Everything else cooks or rehydrates in a ziploc!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t cook in my ti pot, just boil, but I can tell you that the MSR Pocketrocket Deluxe is a solid choice for a stove. Being regulated it will do better than most canister stoves in the cold. It’s high output and subsequently quick boils.

Love that stove :)

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
I don’t cook in my ti pot, just boil, but I can tell you that the MSR Pocketrocket Deluxe is a solid choice for a stove. Being regulated it will do better than most canister stoves in the cold. It’s high output and subsequently quick boils.

Love that stove :)
awesome thanks for the reassurance. I guess worst case is that I get a toaks TI 750ml and if i have issues I can hopefully return it at rei. If not then ill consider it a lesson learned. Have you used that stove at altitude? I don't want it to die while im on the mountain around 11-12k

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve used it a lot at 6-10,000’. I’m bringing it next month on a two week trip in the Sierra’s and don’t anticipate any issues :)

mlgc20

WKR
When I’m counting every ounce, I use a BRS stove and a 650 Toaks pot. If I’m going out in the cold or high elevations, I will take my Pocket Rocket Deluxe. Either way, I never make food in my pot. The pot is for boiling water only.

6.5x284

WKR
I run a Soto Windburner II and Toaks Amazon knockoff 650 ml pot. Any of the small stoves like those are great. I prefer simmer control and self spark starter but not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yobrevol

FNG
I use a lightweight aluminum pan I got on amazon for like 6 bucks and a pocket rocket. Works great. Last meal seasons the next one lol.

OP
Doddse1

Doddse1

FNG
Yea I think the freezer ziplocks are going to be what I use this year. Don't know why I haven't done that yet because I am pretty tired of the packages for freeze dried meals. I got the Soto Wind Burner stove and going to order a titanium pot probably around the 750-900ml range

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I hate the packages from those, I will separate one package into 2 and then add dehydrated mashed potatoes to each package, also do the ramen bomb pre packed and ready.

What is in a ramen bomb? I’ve never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I‘ve camped many seasons at over 10k’, the pocket rocket with a Ti pot works great. The jet boil works, but the utility of the pot just doesn’t match the plain Ti.

I eat out of either my JetBoil Sol Ti (titanium) and my Toaks titanium pot when I need to. I carry a little microfiber cloth to wipe it out if needed. I don't get the aversion to doing that. You're sleeping in the dirt. You're hoping to put your hands inside the guts of a dead animal. What's the big deal?

Redneck09

FNG
1.2L for sure. I bring a scotch brite pad for cleaning and it makes things easy. If you find yourself doing a lot of cold trips a inverted canister stove works good just below freezing where the upright canister stoves perform poorly.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I eat out of either my JetBoil Sol Ti (titanium) and my Toaks titanium pot when I need to. I carry a little microfiber cloth to wipe it out if needed. I don't get the aversion to doing that. You're sleeping in the dirt. You're hoping to put your hands inside the guts of a dead animal. What's the big deal?
I just find it to be more work then I want to do to clean my cup, cleaning oatmeal from a cup in the cold and dark when I want to be getting to a spot is no fun. For me it is not that’s its unsanitary.