UL fuel efficient cook system

Here's my cut down jetboil flash pot and brs. Cut the pot to hold about 2.75cups to the brim since most meals I eat don't need more than 2 cups.

If I can find one of those nifty ultralight titanium or aluminum lids that fit (3.75" diameter pot) then it should drop even more weight replacing the old mouse chewed jetboil lid.

No lighter in the weight, but figure in an extra ounce for that I guess.

I'll have to test it soon.

No lid

1000001357.jpg

With Jetboil lid
1000001358.jpg

sr80

WKR
Here's my cut down jetboil flash pot and brs. Cut the pot to hold about 2.75cups to the brim since most meals I eat don't need more than 2 cups.

If I can find one of those nifty ultralight titanium or aluminum lids that fit (3.75" diameter pot) then it should drop even more weight replacing the old mouse chewed jetboil lid.

No lid

View attachment 739995

With Jetboil lid
View attachment 739996
looks good, takes up less room in the pack as well. What did you use to cut it down?

sr80

WKR
This youtube hiker from Canada (justin outdoors) I have since little snippets of this pot lid in a few of his videos. Looks like a small iso butane canister and small bic lighter snap into the lid. I gather from the comments that he designed and is testing this lid and it isnt available yet, he seems pretty tight lipped on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-23 054706.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-23 054706.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2024-07-23 054837.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-23 054837.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2024-07-23 054908.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-23 054908.png
    192.8 KB · Views: 50

Voyageur

WKR
Just finished reading through all 12 pages of this thread. Thanks to all for the good info.
I'm curious what others' thoughts are on the advantages/disadvantages of a stove with a pressure regulator.
Besides the weight penalty and increased cost are there other drawbacks?
Is the pressure regulator necessary for cold temps and/or higher altitudes?
Thanks.

BBob

WKR
I'm curious what others' thoughts are on the advantages/disadvantages of a stove with a pressure regulator.
Besides the weight penalty and increased cost are there other drawbacks?
Is the pressure regulator necessary for cold temps and/or higher altitudes?
Other than weight and cost you mentioned I don’t think there’s much of a downside to a regulated stove except mby size compared to a BRS.

I’ve used the BRS up to ~10K ft. It does fine at that altitude and retains good efficiency at least with my setup. I have not used it in what I’d call cold conditions. Down to freezing or slightly below but not what I’d call cold.

Voyageur

WKR
Does anyone have any experience with the Jet Boil MightyMo stove? Its lightweight and has a pressure regulator. In addition any of the Jet Boil pots will work with it.
Thanks.

BBob

WKR
Does anyone have any experience with the Jet Boil MightyMo stove? Its lightweight and has a pressure regulator. In addition any of the Jet Boil pots will work with it.
Thanks.
I have a Mini Mo which I believe is the same stove. Yes? No? Regardless I won't be much help there as I didn't use it much. It worked fine for the short period I used it is about all I can say. It was a gift and I currently use the pot with a Soto Windburner. As far as lightweight I don't think it's as light as the Soto and certainly not a BRS and it's bigger than either.

Thanks.

I have a MicroMo. Works well, never had any issues with it, but its definitely heavier than the fire maple/BRS setup.

Interesting enough though, I just noticed over the weekend that my fire maple and micromo pots are almost exactly the same - the only difference is the shroud on the bottom of the jet boil. I actually could've skipped the fire maple and just used the jetboil pot with the BRS for a lightweight setup, and the micromo stove when I want a regulator.

Voyageur

WKR
I have a MicroMo. Works well, never had any issues with it, but its definitely heavier than the fire maple/BRS setup.

Interesting enough though, I just noticed over the weekend that my fire maple and micromo pots are almost exactly the same - the only difference is the shroud on the bottom of the jet boil. I actually could've skipped the fire maple and just used the jetboil pot with the BRS for a lightweight setup, and the micromo stove when I want a regulator.
Excellent insights. That's what I was thinking/wondering as I perused all my different stove options yesterday.

OP
AK Troutbum

No lid

View attachment 739995

With Jetboil lid
View attachment 739996

I have CF and aluminum lids that both fit (not a snug fit), but the aluminum is half the wt. so I went with it.
3472912ee32f4905d9ba5e43bb44ddcb.jpg

378097ef24d6c5acc98a0b7939570797.jpg

744a641b2fbcca9ab890a29d6eada2e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Is that aluminum lid available for purchase anywhere?
Zelph Stoves I think was the first to offer that one but I don’t think they offer it anymore. Bushcraft does but with a little wood handle instead of the high heat tape tab. Flatcat has one but it’s a little heavier than the Zelph or Bushcraft.

I tested my cooking system efficiency this evening.

First, here's some weights with various parts. I found a plastic Tupperware lid in my kitchen that fits pretty well... About 6.5g!

The whole deal. A new olicamp 100g canister inside, with a large box and the brs stove in the bag. 13.9oz. without the rubber band, a small size bic, and no stove bag, I'd probably save a half ounce and would be around 13.4oz. not bad considering the jetboil flash I was using was over 14oz for just tue pot and stove whose igniter didn't work and wasn't replaceable due to being melted into the plastic stove housing.
1000001528.jpg

I cut it down to hold 2 cups most of the time, but could fit 2.5 or so in there if needed.

1000001536.jpg

Pot, burner, and lighter: 6.73oz. it might be 6.5oz or less with a small bic. That's not too far off a sterno stove!

1000001531.jpg

Now for the testing.

For test 1, I put cold water in up to the 2cup line and put it, the fuel and stove in the fridge for a few hours. I didn't think to measure the temp on the first test, but I'm fairly certain the water temp was around 38ish. I had the burner on very low. A setting I figured would get it to boil but might take awhile.

For test 2, I cooled off the pot, filled cold water to 2 cup line, put in a couple ice cubes and stirred to melt, then made sure the water was at 2 cups. 41F. Put it and the fuel and stove in the fridge for a couple hours. Starting temp was 39F. I put the burner on a setting a bit below max output.

These tests were done in my kitchen, at 4400ft asl.

Test 1: 9.5 min boil time, 5.4g fuel consumed
Test 2: 4.5 min boil time, 6g fuel consumed

Looking at the numbers, either my system is really inefficient compared to a couple others using the brs and sterno pot, or I'm skewing the number with putting everything in the fridge for a couple of hours and having it all cold. I can't fathom a test with this system where everything is cold and I get a 3.5-4min boil time with only 3.5-4g fuel consumed.

So....

Is it the pot?
Is it the stove distance from bottom of pot?
Or is it the temperature of the system when testing?

How do I make this more efficient?

1000001532.jpg1000001534.jpg1000001535.jpg

252to208

FNG
Most of the mountain house meals take 16oz. Now, doing a meal and a beverage out of 16oz... that's a party trick I think

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Not a hunting guy but a through hiking guy "Darwin on the trail" did a great video on his favorite meals and systems for through hikes. He loves the peak refuel because of the tiny amount of water they require and also the protein/calorie to weight ratio definitely worth a look.

I tested my cooking system efficiency this evening.

First, here's some weights with various parts. I found a plastic Tupperware lid in my kitchen that fits pretty well... About 6.5g!

The whole deal. A new olicamp 100g canister inside, with a large box and the brs stove in the bag. 13.9oz. without the rubber band, a small size bic, and no stove bag, I'd probably save a half ounce and would be around 13.4oz. not bad considering the jetboil flash I was using was over 14oz for just tue pot and stove whose igniter didn't work and wasn't replaceable due to being melted into the plastic stove housing.
View attachment 750608

I cut it down to hold 2 cups most of the time, but could fit 2.5 or so in there if needed.

View attachment 750613

Pot, burner, and lighter: 6.73oz. it might be 6.5oz or less with a small bic. That's not too far off a sterno stove!

View attachment 750614

Now for the testing.

For test 1, I put cold water in up to the 2cup line and put it, the fuel and stove in the fridge for a few hours. I didn't think to measure the temp on the first test, but I'm fairly certain the water temp was around 38ish. I had the burner on very low. A setting I figured would get it to boil but might take awhile.

For test 2, I cooled off the pot, filled cold water to 2 cup line, put in a couple ice cubes and stirred to melt, then made sure the water was at 2 cups. 41F. Put it and the fuel and stove in the fridge for a couple hours. Starting temp was 39F. I put the burner on a setting a bit below max output.

These tests were done in my kitchen, at 4400ft asl.

Test 1: 9.5 min boil time, 5.4g fuel consumed
Test 2: 4.5 min boil time, 6g fuel consumed

Looking at the numbers, either my system is really inefficient compared to a couple others using the brs and sterno pot, or I'm skewing the number with putting everything in the fridge for a couple of hours and having it all cold. I can't fathom a test with this system where everything is cold and I get a 3.5-4min boil time with only 3.5-4g fuel consumed.

So....

Is it the pot?
Is it the stove distance from bottom of pot?
Or is it the temperature of the system when testing?

How do I make this more efficient?

View attachment 750619View attachment 750620View attachment 750622

I redid my test without refrigerating whole system. I did a measured two cups of water at 45° and Jen shot for medium low heat. It took about 5 minutes and used about 5 g of fuel.

That's still far from what I was expecting to get out of this setup. I think it must be the design of the pot in comparison to the Sterno, which is confusing because the sterno is made of titanium and this pod is made of aluminum. I would think the aluminum would conduct a bit better. It could be the heat exchanger design and the large holes in the shroud below the pot. The pot is really old, and there's a couple spots on the pot shroud where it meets the main part of the pot that looks like it started to disconnect a bit. That could be the major source of my inefficiency.

I've got to get it figured out so that I can get 10 days out of 100 g can with two boils a day in the high mountains in October.

TaperPin

WKR
I love this thread. I still pump up an old Whisperlite and get some weird satisfaction lighting raw gas on fire and carefully having to fold the aluminum foil wind break like a caveman to get it going, but the light weights and efficiency you guys achieve are remarkable. I have been contemplating a second Wisperlite as a backup, but may have to get a gee whiz stove after reading this.

TaperPin

WKR
Without a half full gallon jug of Coleman fuel that’s always in the way, what do you guys do with the extra space?