ubco electric bike-anyone used one for hunting?

Elk97

WKR
A buddy of mine got one just for riding around but it looks like it would work great for elk hunting. I have a small motorcycle that works well but the electric bike with two wheel drive seems like it would get anywhere the cycle would and it's lighter and probably carries more load. Just wondering if anyone has actually used one and what they think of it. Expensive but...
Thanks.

I know nothing about this manufacturer. However, hub motors are considered to not be optimal for trails and hill climbing. Midrive motors have clearly been the leader in hill climbing ability. But, I have not kept up with the technology.

OP
Elk97

Elk97

WKR
With both wheels being driven and knobbies this bike seems like it could go up anything my dirt bike could but haven't had a chance to try my buddies out on anything difficult. Definitely not fast, 30 mph tops but lots of torque. Nothing like a Rokon, except for the two wheel drive concept.

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
UBCO: I have one. A Work bike. Haven’t had a lot of time on it yet, but have high hopes for using it this deer season. Opinions:

Dislikes: I had a battery fail right after I bought it. Still trying to sort this out with shop, but they do tell me they will replace it with a new one. Says the first one was likely defective. Yes, it wont cost me anything…except a lot of frustration and lost time/availability trying to get it sorted out. I consider this a major fail. Other dislikes— Tires are skinny. Yes, plenty knobby, but skinny. No doubt in firm terrain the skinny tires work, but in wet or muddy conditions you need a wider knobby tire. Other dislike is the key fob + app required to operate the bike. For users in rural/farm/backcountry conditions it is crazy to require all these electronics and internet connection; all I want to do is get on my bike and go.

Likes: Very rugged and well built. Plenty of power. Some folks gripe because it doesnt go over 30 or 35 mph, but for real world usage this top speed is plenty for off-road and rough-road/trail usage.

I will learn more about it as I use It this fall while hunting.

Spindrift

FNG
I, too, joined the UBCO craze. After a few mellow town errands, I took it elk hunting tonight.

Holy smokes.

I did 11 miles with 2300' gain on a dry, loose single track. Stream crossings, really steep sections, loose rocks, some mud. I had a full pack and bow on my back with my normal kit and 3L of water and I weigh 195lbs. This thing did it all with ease and I was at 89% battery at the end of the ride. It was like adding a million fun points to hunting and doing it totally silently.

It takes a little getting used to. When climbing, really weighting the front wheel helps and I think it would benefit from a set of rear pegs which I'll likely add. It's a pig...you can't flick it around like a MTB but it also rolls over just about anything.

I cannot comment on durability yet but man, that was fun and I'm really impressed so far.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
I, too, joined the UBCO craze. After a few mellow town errands, I took it elk hunting tonight.

Holy smokes.

I did 11 miles with 2300' gain on a dry, loose single track. Stream crossings, really steep sections, loose rocks, some mud. I had a full pack and bow on my back with my normal kit and 3L of water and I weigh 195lbs. This thing did it all with ease and I was at 89% battery at the end of the ride. It was like adding a million fun points to hunting and doing it totally silently.

It takes a little getting used to. When climbing, really weighting the front wheel helps and I think it would benefit from a set of rear pegs which I'll likely add. It's a pig...you can't flick it around like a MTB but it also rolls over just about anything.

I cannot comment on durability yet but man, that was fun and I'm really impressed so far.

"...like adding a million fun points to hunting..."

Totally agree. And what's it worth to you to get there totally silently, your hearing intact, and not smelling like a two cycle engine? A LOT.

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
UBCO: I have one. A Work bike. Haven’t had a lot of time on it yet, but have high hopes for using it this deer season. Opinions:

Dislikes: I had a battery fail right after I bought it. Still trying to sort this out with shop, but they do tell me they will replace it with a new one. Says the first one was likely defective. Yes, it wont cost me anything…except a lot of frustration and lost time/availability trying to get it sorted out. I consider this a major fail. Other dislikes— Tires are skinny. Yes, plenty knobby, but skinny. No doubt in firm terrain the skinny tires work, but in wet or muddy conditions you need a wider knobby tire. Other dislike is the key fob + app required to operate the bike. For users in rural/farm/backcountry conditions it is crazy to require all these electronics and internet connection; all I want to do is get on my bike and go.

Likes: Very rugged and well built. Plenty of power. Some folks gripe because it doesnt go over 30 or 35 mph, but for real world usage this top speed is plenty for off-road and rough-road/trail usage.

I will learn more about it as I use It this fall while hunting.
Update a few weeks later: Have had back to back flat tires on both front and rear tire in the last two weeks. Cannot identify cause. Big pain in the backside to deal with, of course.

Then, ran out of power a few days later because there is no power meter on the bike and I thought I had another 25%...but didn't. Again, a big pain to deal with.

I really wanted to like my UBCO, and spent a lot of money buying it, but this is not going well.

Holy smokes.

Hey fellas, any updates on the UBCO? Just curious if yalls opinions have changed since these last posts. Thanks

Spindrift

FNG
Hey fellas, any updates on the UBCO? Just curious if yalls opinions have changed since these last posts. Thanks
I used her multiple times last season, including a week of really aggressive use. One trail was 18 miles and 3k elevation round trip and absolutely sketchy with serious exposure and tons of rocks, ledges, etc. The UBCO had no issues at all. I think I got back with 75% battery?

There's a great, global Facebook group that I belong to with a lot of info, mods, etc. One thing I might mod is the stock rear suspension. Some folks are going with high end MTB gear and reporting great results. The UBCO has held up well but on really rocky terrain, you get pretty worked. I'd also like to improve the grips. I added some paniers and they're absolutely money. I can fit my tipi tent, jet boil, ti stove and a bunch of food in those alone.

Other than that, I used it as my daily driver whenever I could. I also use it as a raft shuttle which is fantastic. It's super fun.

So yeah, so far I'm really stoked I bought it.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoyed your post, Spindrift. The e-bike adds a whole new element of fun to the hunt-- both coming and going!

I used her multiple times last season, including a week of really aggressive use. One trail was 18 miles and 3k elevation round trip and absolutely sketchy with serious exposure and tons of rocks, ledges, etc. The UBCO had no issues at all. I think I got back with 75% battery?

There's a great, global Facebook group that I belong to with a lot of info, mods, etc. One thing I might mod is the stock rear suspension. Some folks are going with high end MTB gear and reporting great results. The UBCO has held up well but on really rocky terrain, you get pretty worked. I'd also like to improve the grips. I added some paniers and they're absolutely money. I can fit my tipi tent, jet boil, ti stove and a bunch of food in those alone.

Other than that, I used it as my daily driver whenever I could. I also use it as a raft shuttle which is fantastic. It's super fun.

So yeah, so far I'm really stoked I bought it.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
It sounds like we'll have similar use. I'll be using mainly rough, rocky, steep fire roads. I've read that dudes are having trouble going up steep hills but it sounds like you're smart enough to know to put your weight forward... did you install those rear pegs?

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
I have an UBCO 2023 work bike. Pretty happy with it. Both tires flatted due to bad tube valve stem. Had a battery meltdown too. Anyway, I am 100% committed to the ebike for hunting and hoping my UBCO reliability improves.

Have not installed rear pegs. However, I installed a fatter rear tire, a 4.6X17. So far so good. It barely fits inside the wheel well.

Noting that there is a site on Facebook devoted to UBCO ownership (UBCO Owners Group). It has a lot of UBCO propaganda (seems to be moderated by the company), but it also has some useful modifications and applications (including the rear pegs mod).