Turret Not Level

Lawnboi

WKR
I was simply trying to say that you can't just level the reticle to the bore and assume all is well.

That is what I was trying very poorly to say. Just aligning to the reticle isn't enough. You have to check the turret alignment as well, and for me, I do that first, then check the reticle. IF the mechanics aren't aligned, nothing is going to work right regardless of what the reticle looks like.

Keep in mind, you can pass a tall target test with a canted reticle as long as the mechanics are lined up and the rifle is level. The reticle will be cocked and drive you nuts, but it will track just fine up and down the target. Then you send the scope in to be fixed.

Jeremy

Got it, now it all came together

Bbell12

WKR
Resurrecting this thread because I tried to mount 2 different scopes today and with both of them, the reticles were not square to the turrets or the bottom of the turret housing. Before I go to the trouble of actually mounting them and testing their tracking, is this acceptable or should I just go ahead and send both of them back in? They're not cheap scopes, at least for me their not; one is a Trijicon Tenmile and the other a Zeiss V4 so this is pretty frustrating

Simple explanation via YouTube

I always use my headlamp at max and strap it to the turret with the headlamp going into the objective. The reticle then projects onto the wall. I then match the reticle to be perpendicular to the plumb bob. I don't care if it isn't level with the gun, the reticle will never be level with the caps.

13:40 is where I will match the space between the plumb bob and the reticle from both the top to the bottom.

I use a slight cant for my scope (not level with the gun) but my bubble is level with the reticle in the scope. That is all that matters.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread because I tried to mount 2 different scopes today and with both of them, the reticles were not square to the turrets or the bottom of the turret housing. Before I go to the trouble of actually mounting them and testing their tracking, is this acceptable or should I just go ahead and send both of them back in? They're not cheap scopes, at least for me their not; one is a Trijicon Tenmile and the other a Zeiss V4 so this is pretty frustrating
dealing with this now with a new Tenmile. did you ever get it sorted out?