Turkey gun for backpacking

fishslap

WKR
Looking for recommendations on a lightweight shotgun for turkey when covering lots of miles in difficult terrain. I do a lot of hiking in the spring and run into turkeys on occasion but they’re impossible to pattern on the Colorado public land I’m on. I’d like to keep a shotgun with me when the season’s open. Collapsible would be good but not mandatory. Thought?

Personally, I believe a 410 is a poor choice when compared to a 28 gauge. If you want a small bore turkey gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I bought a little Stevens single shot .410 with a red dot sight for my kids to shoot. It would be perfect for backpacking. I refuse to shoot the turkey loads because of how expensive they are. I spent more on shells than I did the gun.

Dos XX

WKR
My 28 ga CZ Bobwhite weighs right at 7 lbs.
According to specs the 28 ga Benelli U/L weighs 4.9 lbs.
My Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen weighs 5.75 lbs.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
My 28 ga CZ Bobwhite weighs right at 7 lbs.
According to specs the 28 ga Benelli U/L weighs 4.9 lbs.
My Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen weighs 5.75 lbs.
That benelli looks sweet. Might be more than I need but if I could find one locally it looks like a good option.

dtrkyman

WKR
Doubt you would find a better back packing turkey getter, just pretty much a must to shoot TSS or have a severely limited range!

Fordguy

WKR
First- how important is having multiple shots for a turkey? If it's important to you then you can probably stop reading this post now. Every turkey I've shot has been with a single shot.

In that vein, I'd suggest a break action, single-shot 20 or 12 gauge that breaks down/assembles quickly, quietly, easily. H&R/NEF singles are still easily found at pawn shops, Rossi has similar offerings, cva has made some take down model single-shots, and there are other backpack singles out there that I'm not familiar with. It's not terribly expensive to have barrels cut down and tapped for a choke tube if they need it.

First- how important is having multiple shots for a turkey? If it's important to you then you can probably stop reading this post now. Every turkey I've shot has been with a single shot.

In that vein, I'd suggest a break action, single-shot 20 or 12 gauge that breaks down/assembles quickly, quietly, easily. H&R/NEF singles are still easily found at pawn shops, Rossi has similar offerings, cva has made some take down model single-shots, and there are other backpack singles out there that I'm not familiar with. It's not terribly expensive to have barrels cut down and tapped for a choke tube if they need it.

I like having multiple shots. These two Tom’s came in together. Bang, bang.

We get 4 Turkey tags in TX, this is opening morning a few weeks back.

Youth 870 with 21” barrel and a Turkey choke. Love this little gun

ed2081eeb7547e3928c0abe58899a308.jpg

788ba89f06b183dc29b7df400f6e182d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordguy

WKR
I can pop a new shell into a break action single shot with less noise and movement than it takes to rack an 870. Add that to less weight, and simpler, quieter assembly and take down, and you see where I'm going.

That said, everyone has their own preferences. I don't expect anyone to blindly follow what I do. If an 870 works for you, that's terrific. Nice rios by the way (or Merriam's? The rios in my neck of the woods are darker).

Last edited:
Im up the mountain from you and also backpack turkey hunt. I use a Remington 870 express in 20 ga with a youth plastic stock on it. Kicks much worse than my 300 win mag shooting 3" tss but patterns awesome out to 60 yards, with a long beard X turkey choke. I run a Winchester X shell for my first round incase the birds are closer and TSS as my next two shells for long shots. Both pattern great. Even the X patterns very tight up close at 20 yds so I e been thinking of switching to a regular upland 2 3/4 #5 shot for that first round and see how it patterns. And a pleasure to carry in the mountains all day. After carrying a 12 ga 870 Wingmaster on a few many mile jaunts I knew I had to do something different.