Turbo tax I need help!

tony

WKR
I am trying to use turbo tax. Not only is it costing more than using my accountant, it keeps telling me my taxes are being rejected!

It wants line 11 of of my 1040 form from 2021. I put the information in 2 or 3 times now and it keeps saying the feds are rejecting it, which in turn is making the states reject it.

It gave me the option of placing a zero in and it still rejects it.
From what I’m reading, line 11 is some sort of IRS “ID”?

Takeaway here, don’t wait til the last day to do your taxes :D

Titan

WKR
What does the rejection error say? Usually a quick rejection like that is due to name/social not lining up or a child has already filed a return and did not say they are a dependent on another return.

wyosteve

WKR
I had the same problem. When I entered my 2021 AGI it rejected because the IRS had not processed the 2021 return. I then did the ‘0’ (zero) trick and it accepted it. Try the zero again is my best suggestion.

Yoder

WKR
I just checked. Line 11 is your adjusted gross income. They need it from 2021 to confirm your identity. I didn't have a copy of my return from last year. I had to recover the information from the IRS website. There was a link to this site in TurboTax. Maybe the IRS had a different number for some reason? Here is the link to the IRS site to get your AGI from 2021.

OP
T

tony

WKR
I put line 11 in from last years return rejected
I put zero in rejected

I one million percent agree, accountant from here on out. I spent more with TT than I did the accountant.
Granted I bought the “protection” package. Looks like I’m going to need it.
2 states at $59.00 each, federal was 59 and the protection was 59

I am trying to use turbo tax. Not only is it costing more than using my accountant, it keeps telling me my taxes are being rejected!

It wants line 11 of of my 1040 form from 2021. I put the information in 2 or 3 times now and it keeps saying the feds are rejecting it, which in turn is making the states reject it.

It gave me the option of placing a zero in and it still rejects it.
From what I’m reading, line 11 is some sort of IRS “ID”?

Takeaway here, don’t wait til the last day to do your taxes :D
If you're asking for help on a hunting site for tax advice, on the day taxes are due... you DEFINITELY need help!

Good luck!

Reactions: OMB
I use cash app taxes which was formerly credit karma taxes. Was able to do my 1040 with state for free and have had zero issues for several years that I've used them.

Yoder

WKR
My accountant screwed me over last year and didn't finish my return until tax day. I used TT this year with no issues. I was surprised how expensive it was.

OP
T

tony

WKR
Submitted 3 times and all rejected. Even call TT and got nowhere.
Downloaded my tax transcripts from the IRS and my AGI matches what the IRS has.
I guess I’ll call one more time and see about a refund.
Appt made with the accountant.

It was way more expensive than the cash app I used the last few years, but it was a godsend with small business expenses and such. Way easier to use. Sorry you had the AGI issue. TT has gotten way more expensive which is why I stopped using it several years ago.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully you just printed and mailed. Workaround to that issue.

I suspect you weren’t using the actual number that was in field 11 on your 2021 return.

Always print and save pdf of your return. Those companies are smart and make you pay later for a copy if you didn’t save one right away.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Submitted 3 times and all rejected. Even call TT and got nowhere.
Downloaded my tax transcripts from the IRS and my AGI matches what the IRS has.
I guess I’ll call one more time and see about a refund.
Appt made with the accountant.
Mail it today with todays postmark. And a short letter showing the AGI issue. Copies of errors, etc.

They have some latitude.

wyosteve

WKR
The problem has been that the IRS had not completed 'entering' the 2021 tax documents so if you put in the 2021 AGI, it doesn't recognize it since there is no return to compare it against.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
My accountant screwed me over last year and didn't finish my return until tax day. I used TT this year with no issues. I was surprised how expensive it was.
When did you give them your info? I'm a CPA and I set strict requirements for when info needs to be received. My past clients who thought I "screwed them over" by not filing by the deadline brought their info in a few days before the filing deadline while I still had hundreds of returns to finish that brought their stuff in on time.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
When did you give them your info? I'm a CPA and I set strict requirements for when info needs to be received. My past clients who thought I "screwed them over" by not filing by the deadline brought their info in a few days before the filing deadline while I still had hundreds of returns to finish that brought their stuff in on time.

It was somewhere around 40 days prior to tax day. She also never mentioned anything about being too busy to get it done.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
It was somewhere around 40 days prior to tax day. She also never mentioned anything about being too busy to get it done.
I told my clients I needed info by Feb 28. So not much different. But if they didn't communicate that to you, that's another thing. I was VERY clear about it to mine so they had no reason to be surprised or upset.

OMB

WKR
It was way more expensive than the cash app I used the last few years, but it was a godsend with small business expenses and such. Way easier to use. Sorry you had the AGI issue. TT has gotten way more expensive which is why I stopped using it several years ago.
I've used TT for the last 7 years, it's most definitely getting to the price point where I plan on looking into switching for next year. I did have to upgrade to the Live service this year and I actually used it a couple of times to walk me through a couple of situations, which was nice but I don't know if it was worth it.

But, I guess Intuit needs the money considering they spent a record amount lobbying Congress (and they've historically been one of the top money spenders on lobbying across all industries) to keep those tax laws complex and a have a market for their product!

OP
T

tony

WKR
Rejected again 5 times so far. I'm going to look into a refund or a charge back from CC company.
2021 was filed and I paid the IRS last year and got a state refund. So I'm really confused as to how they haven't entered my information?
I went to the IRS site and printed all 2021 transcripts. The AGI on these transcripts match the 1040 copy my accountant handed me last year.
So I have no idea whats going on.