Odd thing happened to me....

dotman

WKR
Yea I got the SE version, but should've waited and got the Garmin.
No maps or anything on my SE, just waypoints, tracking and the Zach Griffin button, as it is now called.
I guess I hit my own version myself in calling the wife.

I kind of feel vulnerable here indulging all this, but I do have some real concerns as to what the heck happened.
I thought I was "that guy" who was super strong mentally with physical endurance like no other.

2 hunts this year taxed me to another bracket I haven't been at prior.
It's Trumps fault

Yeah I only have the SE with the ZG button 😂 as well, all that's needed with a smart phone.

Better to get thoughts then just ignore it happened. Get checked out.

OP
mfllood3800
Listen to this guy, he knows way more then anyone else posting in this thread.

Yep, way smarter than me for sure
I subject myself to higher intelligence for the good of my future.
If I lost hunting off my back, I would probably have to quit hunting.
Then what- watch podcasts all day and you tube videos wishing I was out there??

Thanks for sharing your story, very interesting. I'd have to strongly suggest having a doctor check you out thoroughly. That sounds incredibly dangerous and could have morphed into a very real nightmare situation. If you don't like what the first doctor says get another one to look at you. I've been exhausted in my early 20's packing out a bull elk and was wondering if i'd make it out(this was before cell phones). Completely exhausted and drank tons of water to the point that I ran out. It was not a situation i'd ever get myself into again if at all possible. I like to hunt alone too but over the years I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have another hunter hunting/camping with me, making sure I get back to camp at a decent hour. That sometimes can't happen but I know for me at least, having onyx to help me navigate is really a godsend and i've started using it extensively wherever I go. I hope you can get this figured out and glad you made it back safely.

OP
mfllood3800
Uncle R
Thx for the advice- I gotta do something, I am hoping for the best and believing it was just dehydration affecting other things. But as stated by many- and my wife, it is time to go to Dr.
My solo days aren't over yet and I don't have many I would want to hunt with any way. They are decent people, we just hunt different that's all.

The big draw for me, to Rokslide, is the amount of people who hunt the way I try to. Where I live it just isn't that common, yet we have a huge hunting population. And easily accessed animals from roads and trail systems.

I was asked by several friend/hunters where I got my bull, and I wasn't afraid to disclose that area for 2 reasons:
1. it's a general description to a huge area
2. no one is willing to go that deep in that area to uncover the sweetness of that honey hole

You guys have been great
Thank you

Heading out here in a bit - last day of the cow hunt for me
Then my Utah hunts are done.
Sad, but ready to rest as well.

Seems like the hunts took forever to get here and then Bam they are done.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My ear ringing gets much worse when I get dehydrated, just another sign for me to identify that.

I got a lot of what you're describing about 30+ years ago. Same kind of scenario. A small herd of elk crossed in front of the Jeep right at first light. I jumped out and went after them........got tunnel vision on the elk and forgot my pack. Ended up shooting a bull I don't know how far from the road. Back then we didn't have GPS's, it was all map and compass and sight identification. But I was soaked to the bone because I was running most the way. Back then didn't have merino or even decent base layers. I was soaked. By the time I was done with the bull, I couldn't even straighten my fingers and my forearms were in full on cramp mode.

Hiking out of there I would have paid $1000 for some water. I was also in a bunch of tall oak brush (which is of the devil). Just a maze of quagmire and dead ends, and you can't see out. By the time I got to a road I was toast. I didn't even know which way to go.......a little dazed and confused. Luckily another hunter drove by and he had one of those large water cooler jugs full of water. He drove me around until we found the Jeep.

Altitude always affects dehydration, but this was pure dehydration for me. If I had had water with me, I would have been fine.

Elknutz

FNG
I've had very similar symptoms twice. Once I assumed it was altitude sickness, I had to keep laying down cuz I was so dizzy. I drank all our water plus ran into a couple on horses & I drank all their water.

The other time I had started a new blood pressure medicine 3 days prior to the archery opener. I killed & packed out a spike elk by 9:30am. Met up with my son who had also killed a spike. On the way in to retrieve his I got most of your symptoms. It happens that my buddy who was with us had the exact same thing happen with the exact same BP meds about a year earlier. My doctor confirmed that it was likely the culprit.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
It's good you had enough sense to call someone. I definitely think your solo hunting days are done...call me next time you head out elk hunting!!!

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
2 years ago I was hunting north of Steamboat, second week of bow season and helicopters were flying near the area I was hunting. I later found out a man from Duluth Minnesota got altitude sickness and became confused got lost and died of hypothermia. His hunting partners said he was an experienced western hunter.

OP
mfllood3800
Good news bad news.
I went back out this morning, logged a ton of miles and no issues. My pack never left me , I stayed hydrated, ate more food, and it was 15 degrees cooler, and again I was on a herd of cows, in the exact same area ,this time twice. First time at 50 yards, but they skirted around me while it was still getting day light the second time even less, but I didn't get far enough in, and they winded me and I heard them blow out.
The area was so dense I could smell, hear and get glimpses, but never a decent shot opportunity. Little to no wind today, just pesty swirling changing thermals.
That's the bad news.

Northern Piker:
Next year for archery spike OTC look into it, I will host a fellow cheese head, you come and baby sit me so my wife doesn't panic
lol
Opens mid August

I am hunting one way or another.
2 days later and I am still 3.5 lbs lighter than what I was prior.
I believe I simply lost a ton of fluid, but will let the Dr decide that when I get home from my trip.

I checked my flight out tomorrow, and if I work it right, I can hunt in the morning up to 7:45, get an elk, qtr it, haul it to cooler locker, shower and head out to get to airport an hour early.

if I don't get dizzy, confused and lost
lol

OP
mfllood3800
5MB,
Your description is very close to my situation.
Though I wasn't running, I was taking huge strides, and able to be quiet and a few times ran a bit, kept this up for the entire 3-5 miles and stayed with the elk.
Tunnel vision, is a very good way to put it.
I became so focused on the elk, I disregarded good choices. At one point they turned and instead of heading straight away from my truck, they were heading at a right angle to it so I felt I was good and thats the last time I remember thinking about how far away I was, I felt I was still ok.

Ringing ears getting louder when dehydration escalates is good to know and remember.

I know many think less about dehydration in the cooler months, but here in Ut it is always so dry in winter, you have to really watch it, and I knew that, just got totally distracted by stupid elk.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Very kind offer mf...your wife might worry twice as much if you tell her a 62 year old is watching over you(63 next month). Something for me to think about thou. Thanks.

5MB,
Your description is very close to my situation.
Though I wasn't running, I was taking huge strides, and able to be quiet and a few times ran a bit, kept this up for the entire 3-5 miles and stayed with the elk.
Tunnel vision, is a very good way to put it.
I became so focused on the elk, I disregarded good choices. At one point they turned and instead of heading straight away from my truck, they were heading at a right angle to it so I felt I was good and thats the last time I remember thinking about how far away I was, I felt I was still ok.

Ringing ears getting louder when dehydration escalates is good to know and remember.

I know many think less about dehydration in the cooler months, but here in Ut it is always so dry in winter, you have to really watch it, and I knew that, just got totally distracted by stupid elk.
Without giving away your spot what area of utah are you hunting? I do Search and Rescue for my county and I am just wondering if we need to be ready to come find you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Finally made an account just to respond to this!

See a Doctor; my Old Man had very similar symptom's this year, both Elk season and Deer season. Turned out to be some dislodged "crystals" in his ears, which can apparently cause severe vertigo and/or disorientation. He had extreme difficulty orienting himself, nausea, inability to process simple logical data (like GPS coordinates), etc. similar to what you describe. I don't know what the condition is actually called but apparently it's more common in side-sleepers and more likely as you get older? His "fixed" themselves the first time, and then they gave him some exercises and positions to stretch, sleep, and lay in to allow gravity to fix them the second time.

Kept him in eyesight all season this year...better him alive than a deer dead. Best of luck with solving your conundrum, hope this helps.

OP
mfllood3800
Jake
haha

When I hit the ZG button on my In reach, you will get my coordinates promptly.

But in case it doesn't transpond quick enough,:

Beaver County

I am in hidden valley, by lost lake at the head of no name creek.
:)

OP
mfllood3800
RiGuy

I appreciate your response.
Getting a check up is definitely on my schedule.
I am a side sleeper.
Probably the hardest part of back pack hunting for me, is getting a decent pad for this style of sleeping, that doesn't weigh a ton, yet has the firmness to support.
I never heard of what your dad had and will have to check it out- thx

Come Dec I head to AZ for a couple weeks of archery mule deer and yes it is solo.
I'd like to make it out of there alive.
I am honored you joined to respond to this. It reveals how much your dad really means to you.
That itself is very honorable sir.

My vote is severe dehydration. Dehydration is extremely dangerous and can trigger Altitude sickness, Pulmonary Aden’s, etc....even for experienced hunters in altitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Finally made an account just to respond to this!

See a Doctor; my Old Man had very similar symptom's this year, both Elk season and Deer season. Turned out to be some dislodged "crystals" in his ears, which can apparently cause severe vertigo and/or disorientation. He had extreme difficulty orienting himself, nausea, inability to process simple logical data (like GPS coordinates), etc. similar to what you describe. I don't know what the condition is actually called but apparently it's more common in side-sleepers and more likely as you get older? His "fixed" themselves the first time, and then they gave him some exercises and positions to stretch, sleep, and lay in to allow gravity to fix them the second time.

Kept him in eyesight all season this year...better him alive than a deer dead. Best of luck with solving your conundrum, hope this helps.

benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), I had it this year, couldn't get out of bed for 2 days. Every time I stood up I would start puking. Went to the emergency room and they did some head movements to put the crystals back in place. It's been 6 months and still haven't fully recovered. Yea mf, we'd be a real good pair in the woods together, nothing for your wife to worry about😂.

OP
mfllood3800
NP- 63 is just a number

I hope to be hiking the hills at 63
:)

do you bow hunt ?

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes I bowhunt, been to Colorado a couple times with bow for elk( nothing yet). Hope to keep solo packing in till I'm 70, then my boys will have to help me, they're 5 and 7 now(yes, you read that right.)

I suffered many of your symptoms when I wasn't even dehydrated. Was unable to focus, irritable, I couldn't work or do simple duties i have been doing for 35 years and was just feeling puny. Ears were buzzing (slightly different than a ring) and a couple sports drinks had back to normal in 20 minutes.

Twice I have exerted myself while unable to get water and very dehydrated but was still able to determine my direction. I think you were probably low on electrolytes as a result of dehydrations and exertion. Get some NUUN tabs and carry em when in the field. Can't hurt. A full physical each year is a wise investment...I get mine 2 months before hunting season.