Tuning issues

Got a new (to me) vxr this year and was excited to tackle everything it threw at me. So far ive been pretty frustrated.

First ill list my specs- 75lbs, 30in draw, 85% lo
Arrows- black eagle x impact 250 spine with tac drover 3 fletch and 180gr point, arrow length-30in carbon to carbon but 32 inches from throat of knock to my feild point (FOCUS outsirt system adds some length)

Ive tuned through paper and cant seem to get any consistent holes. One arrow will be a bullet hole and the next will be a tear an inch and a quarter wide. I get the same results when i shoot down range. I cant seem to get a group smaller than 5 inches at 20 yards which is absolutely pitiful considering my previous bow at 1/3 of the price put groups within 1/2 inch at that range. Bareshaft yield the same results but worse. All over the place.

Ive also tried switching around my tophats and its made no significant difference.

Anyone got any suggestions? Im guessing this is an arrow spine issue but i wanted to hear someone elses opinion before i go cutting expensive arrows.
Thanks

MT257

WKR
What grip do you have on it? I struggle with the factory grip that came with the vxr.

I doubt it's spine related, but you could play with point weight and/or draw weight to test weakening and stiffening dynamic spine without having to cut the arrows. FWIW qSpine says you should be spot on at 250.

Have you checked for vane contact?

Have you tried rotating nocks to see if the paper tears or groups improve?

Bow inputs: 344 fps IBO, 75# DW, 30" DL, 28" ATA, 6" BH, 85% LO
Arrow inputs: 30" C2C, 180 gr on front, 30 gr on rear
Screenshot_20220707-210911_qSpine.jpg

OP
K
What grip do you have on it? I struggle with the factory grip that came with the vxr.

Ive just been using the factory grip. I havent been a huge fan of it so far but i still feel like i can shoot a consistent shot. Maybe ill take it off and try shooting straight off the riser.

OP
K
Have you been able to rule out clearance issues? When things get that inconsistent it's frequently a contact issue.
I should have more than enough clearance but I suppose i could double check. Only thing that makes me question that it’s clearance is that i get the same result with bareshafts. Thanks for the reply.

I should have more than enough clearance but I suppose i could double check. Only thing that makes me question that it’s clearance is that i get the same result with bareshafts. Thanks for the reply.

If it's doing it with bareshafts, then I think it has to be some input you are doing to tge bow. Wildly inconsistent grip, or face pressure.

How many different arrows are you using to determine this?

OP
K
If it's doing it with bareshafts, then I think it has to be some input you are doing to tge bow. Wildly inconsistent grip, or face pressure.

How many different arrows are you using to determine this?
Thanks! Ill play around with grip. Also ive been shooting the same two arrows. I fletched and one barr. I made both weigh the exact same. 500grains

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Spine isn't an issue, but I'd still turn the bow down to 70lbs and try from there. The more weight you're pulling, it's more likely to have more grip and form issues. I'd also get rid of the 4mm arrows and that FOCOS system, but that's just me.

Reactions: Zac

wayoh22

WKR
This screams torque issue with me. I'd take a look at your vanes as well to see if there are any noticeable marks for contact issues.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with others that it is probably a torque or contact issue. That would explain what you are seeing. Depending on what type of rest you are using, contact may not be obvious or happen every time. If you are using a drop away, make sure that the arm is fully dropping and also make sure that it doesn't rebound. I have seen both happen, and it isn't always obvious and apparent that there is an issue.

OP
K
Spine isn't an issue, but I'd still turn the bow down to 70lbs and try from there. The more weight you're pulling, it's more likely to have more grip and form issues. I'd also get rid of the 4mm arrows and that FOCOS system, but that's just
I would agree with others that it is probably a torque or contact issue. That would explain what you are seeing. Depending on what type of rest you are using, contact may not be obvious or happen every time. If you are using a drop away, make sure that the arm is fully dropping and also make sure that it doesn't rebound. I have seen both happen, and it isn't always obvious and apparent that there is an issue.
Thanks for the info

I agree with everyone else either contact or a grip issue what rest are you shooting?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Stand in front of paper and shoot every shaft through it. I don't care if you get a horrible tear, however you need to be able to turn the individual nocks on every shaft so that you get the same tear with every shaft. I'll include a more detailed video for you.

i would also focus on the grip, not all bows like the same grip. some like high some like low etc. if you really like the bow spend some quality time with it see how she wants to be held.