Truth or Consequences NM

Used to be called Hot Springs before 1950, so go for a soak.
Socorro might be a better stop. Main drag through town has a couple of brewpubs but the #7 green at the El Camino is (used to be anyway) classic NM.
I agree - Socorro is a much better choice. Holiday Inn Express is nice. Best Western is ok. There are a bunch of AirBnB's too. Make sure to visit the VLA if you stay there - it's super cool.

Nope ... heroin is. Espanola is not only the lowrider capital of the world, but heroin use, too.
you might be right the prescription to illicit opioid pipeline is real.

Haven’t been up to northern NM in a bit but want to take the family soon. Good memories fishing and exploring northern NM as a kid. But guessing best to skip “Espa”?

you might be right the prescription to illicit opioid pipeline is real.

Haven’t been up to northern NM in a bit but want to take the family soon. Good memories fishing and exploring northern NM as a kid. But guessing best to skip “Espa”?

Northern NM is great! I loved working/living there. I'm retired Forest Service, worked on the Santa Fe NF for some time. My ex is from Espanola . It has one of the best golf courses I've ever played (Black Mesa). The town is historical. The people out the box. Heroin use (combined with fentanyl) is out of control. Combine this with low riders and you got problems! Haha! If you're visiting the area, I'd stick to Taos (even though drugs/crime have struck heavily there, too). Even Los Alamos. Santa Fe is presumptuous and snotty. Best place is Jemez Springs, in my opinion. It's small, quaint, great townfolk, and has access to some of the most beautiful parts/culture of NM (Valles Caldera Nat'l Preserve, Bandelier Nat'l Mon, Jemez Pueblo Feast Days, and of course the Jemez RD and their hot springs). By the way, you're not wrong about meth - there were lots of labs we cleaned up on the Forest and Districts, too.