Truck tire question for you all

180ls1

WKR
Truck dosent get used off road a lot and is more of a highway and gravel road driver.
Probably put 15k on it a year or so also.

Look at all season tires. Its a mix of highway and all terrain. Perfect for your use.

Mud tires are a bad choice for your use case.

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
Please do not consider off-brand tires. Consider them up there with tractor trailer retreads...deadly.

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I also run Falken wildpeaks on my F350 and have had them for a year now. about 30K plus onto them and think I will see another 20k out of them but time will tell. I drive in all types of conditions, highway, mud, snow, dirt roads, offroad and have been very pleased with them. I am planning on getting wildpeaks for the SUV as well.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Never heard of Pit Bull brand tires. That is more than enough reason for me to never consider them. If they are not commonly sitting on display at tire stores I am not risking getting stuck without replacement tire option in the middle of a hunt.

Cooper Stronghold is what I would purchase. A new tire from Cooper that looks to be a fantastic tire. My son just put a set on his 2019 Ram 1500. They have been fantastic so far. You really cannot go wrong with Cooper Tires. The AT3 is a wonderful tire as is the ST MAXX.

Here's the new Stronghold.
View attachment 747000
I currently have the ST MAXX on my Ford F150, but my next set of Coopers is going to be the Stronghold.
Anybody else noticing that every new AT tire that comes out (Cooper, BFG) is a direct copy of the Falken AT3w?
I got 77k on my last set of Falkens and they were used on some pretty harsh cobble and basalt.

Oldrifle

FNG
I'm a fan of the Yokohama Geolander AT, and I prefer models that are widely available.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Anybody else noticing that every new AT tire that comes out (Cooper, BFG) is a direct copy of the Falken AT3w?
I got 77k on my last set of Falkens and they were used on some pretty harsh cobble and basalt.
That was my first thought looking at the picture of the Stronghold haha. Would NOT have guessed it wasnt a Falken Wildpeak

hunterjrg

FNG
I’ve always been a fan of BFG AT KO tires. They seem impossible to find when I need tires tho. I went with Cooper for my last set. I have a GMC 2500HD and pull campers and such. They have been ok. I put on Falken Wildpeak AT on my work truck and really like those.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting ready to replace my current set of General Grabber A/TX's. I've settled between getting another pair of Generals or the Falken Wilderness AT4W's. The Falkens are a bit more expensive so it depends on what deals happen to come up in the next months or so. Maybe a Labor Day sale will help.

Poser

WKR
I have the Cooper Evolution M/Ts. If you are doing some serious offroading and air down quite a bit, they are a great choice. Burly, tires with big, meaty lugs. They are ok in deeper snow, but don't have enough siping to really grab and hold snow for good friction in packed snow and can be downright terrifying in icy conditions. I ran them for 1 winter and had at least two, if not 3 really close calls one of which involved doing a 180 on packed icy-snow conditions and crashing into a snow bank after getting some rear end wobble that I could not correct. After that initial winter, I got some dedicated winter tires, though I do still use the Evolutions May-Oct and will probably buy another set of them in the next year or so. I have seen people add after-market siping for better performance in the winter, but you'll void any warranty and you still are giving up an amount of surface contact that you need on ice with such big lugs.

Like all Mud tires, they are loud on the highway and gas mileage will likely be impacted vs. AT tires as Mts are heavier. That doesn't bother me, but I also live 4 hours from the nearest interstate so seldom drive faster than 65 and I'm driving rough roads most weekends in the summer. I'd say that, practically speaking, to justify MTs, you need to spend a good amount of time on rough roads and not a lot of time on the interstate and then, depending where you live, I would consider their performance in winter months. they do have one line of stud holes, which you can add at purchase. I don't have studs on mine so I can't comment how that may affect performance on ice. I have had studded tires in the past, but this is just a single row of studs. Where I live, you can have studs year around, but, for example, if I drive across the border into New Mexico, you can't have studded tires between May and Oct. So, that could be a wash.

If money were no object, I would have a pair of MT tires, AT tires, Touring Tires and Winter tires all mounted up and ready to swap out at any time. MT tires are a speciality tire for certain conditions much like a winter tire is, so I don't expect them to be practical for most people unless you just want the big lug look.

carlc

Lil-Rokslider
I put about 45k a year on my personal f350, and my employees put another 60k spread between two other diesel work trucks. We are in Forestry, so a lot of rough roads and bad conditions. I ran duratracs for years, one set studded, one set non studded. I have found that they are the best all around tire. I have also been trying out new tires every go around on my personal pickup. The Falkens at3w's had the absolute worst wet and snow traction I have ever had. Multiple times I had to chain up to make it to the site in 6-12" of snow, when my other trucks made it no problem. They did wear good though, i think i got 45k out of them. I tried the ST Max's and was pretty impressed by those, but they didn't wear great, I think 35k. I now have the Geolandar AT XD and have been really impressed with them. They are a little noisy, but seem to have good traction and have been wearing well. These are my opinions from my personal findings, take it for what you want.

Need to get tires on my truck in the next month or so.
35x12.50x20.
Two that I am mainly looking at is a Pit Bull PBX A/T Hardcore and also a Cooper Evolution M/T

Do any of you have any experience with either of these tires?
You should take a look at yokahama, after owning numerous tire brands these have held tread the longest.

FWIW, I run 285/75/18 Falken Wildpeak AT3's on my old 2000 F350 crew cab 4x4. Knock on wood, I've never had a flat, they balance well and they aren't noisy.... well not any noisier than a 7.3. The truck, unloaded, weighs right around 7500#. My current set is 5 years old with ~35k on them. The truck is primarily used for hauling trailers throughout the year, but I also use it a lot during hunting seasons on typical USFS and BLM roads in the west. One particular "road" that I travel every year is 7 miles, but it takes 2.5 hours to get to the destination. It is rocks all the way, big, little, sharp, round... you name it. I've been most impressed with tire durability and performance on that specific trail.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Take a look at Kanati tires, Mud Hog if you want a little more aggressive, Trail Hog if you want a little more A/T style. The Mud Hogs are the old Wrangler MTR tread pattern, which is one of the best all around patterns ever produced. They're quiet on the road, and last plenty long for the price. I've ran them on 3 different full size diesels, and 2 Toyotas. You can check with your local dealer, but it's usually cheaper to order on ebay and then just take them in and pay for a mount and balance.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
It’s hard to beat the BFG KO2 or KO3 for what you are looking for. I have had them on my past three trucks and they do it all from snow and ice to light mud. They handle great on the road as well.