Truck chainsaw?

TaperPin

WKR
Good post. As Dudes...we are "automatically" all that is Man. A Chainsaw is a great Humble(er). My InstaGram reels are 50% teenage broads with huge jugs....and the other 50% are BuckinBillyRay, TimberJill and random arborists doing amazing things dropping trees.

I've had some semi professional Falling instruction. And I can still very quickly F up dropping a small tree or pinching a saw. I left the WORST standing timber snag, half totem pole, woood origami, got 3 saws simultaneously stuck on my property when I sold it to my buddy. It was a humbling, "Hand back your Man Card" failure.

Lots to know with powersaws if you weren't born in the Timber or a Saw Shop.
Like a moth to the flame, like you, I love to cut weird big snags - and know that feeling when it’s so screwed up, a healthy amount of fear and pit in the stomach says to walk away. Lol

Last edited:

V-TRAIN

WKR
I have a bunch of cordless milwaukee tools, so I just ordered their rear Handel saw. It is a absolute joy to work with, always starts, stops when you let go of the trigger, don't smell like a gas/oil factory after using. The best thing is with a gas saw, once I got it running, I always felt like I needed to work with it while it was running until I was so tired, I had to put it down and take a break. With the battery saw, I just make several cuts, set it down (cause it always works/runs) move, drag stuff, etc. Then cut some other things. I now have 2 milwaukee chainsaws, rear and top handle, a pole saw, and just got the milwaukee hatchet, that looks nice. I had 3 pro gas saws, sthil and huskies, now only have 2, and have not used either since I got the battery saws.

cjdewese

WKR
I have a bunch of cordless milwaukee tools, so I just ordered their rear Handel saw. It is a absolute joy to work with, always starts, stops when you let go of the trigger, don't smell like a gas/oil factory after using. The best thing is with a gas saw, once I got it running, I always felt like I needed to work with it while it was running until I was so tired, I had to put it down and take a break. With the battery saw, I just make several cuts, set it down (cause it always works/runs) move, drag stuff, etc. Then cut some other things. I now have 2 milwaukee chainsaws, rear and top handle, a pole saw, and just got the milwaukee hatchet, that looks nice. I had 3 pro gas saws, sthil and huskies, now only have 2, and have not used either since I got the battery saws.
The Milwaukee 6" pruning saw is amazing too if you don't have that one yet. It's probably my friend and I's favorite tool for trail maintenance and smaller cuts, it's so small and compact we just throw it in our packs on most hikes just in case.

V-TRAIN

WKR
Yea, I just got the pruiner about a week ago. It seems really well made, I was thinking it might be kind of flimsy. It is made really solid like their chainsaws.
I haven't used it yet, but imagine it will be really nice. I will probably keep that in my truck all the time.

cjdewese

WKR
Yea, I just got the pruiner about a week ago. It seems really well made, I was thinking it might be kind of flimsy. It is made really solid like their chainsaws.
I haven't used it yet, but imagine it will be really nice. I will probably keep that in my truck all the time.
We just keep a few extra batteries and an extra chain so we are always working with a sharp chain. It really is amazing how much those things can cut. Punches way above it's weight class.

Is it common gear for some of you to bring a chainsaw in your truck.

I have never actually owned one, but I am looking to buy one for some projects in the cue. I have run into some downed trees over the years and have been lucky to negotiate around them. Figure a saw in the truck could be nice insurance.

Good idea, or waste is space.

If so, what size saw? I am looking at something with a 18” bar but open to feedback! I am starting at “0” for chainsaws other than a few hours with my neighbors old Stihl with a 16” bar.

Thanks,
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From October through April, I have my little stihl, mixed fuel and bar oil in my pickup at all times

It’s not a waste of space and I use it fairly often, it’s essential gear to me

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Jeep goes over whatever logs and trees might be in the way. When the pickup gets the call I carry a Husqvarna 460 Rancher with 20” bar. Amazing saw.

Macintosh

WKR
Bring the gas saw once in a while, but mostly I don't when hunting. We just picked up a milwaukee electric pruning saw, that would make some sense, but I prefer to just leave stuff in the truck 24/7 so the battery would be dead when I needed it, and the gas saw is leaky, stinks like gas, is funny shaped and doesnt hide well, etc so prefer not to leave it in the truck.
I have various tow straps, a 100’ 12mm static rope, chain, a come-along and a big hand saw that lives in my truck tool box. This is in the northeast, its mostly hardwood and smaller-medium trees that come down anywhere I hunt. Ive seen downed trees big enough that it would have been a pain for me to deal with, but 99.9% of what I see I can either just drag out of the way by hand or with the truck, or a quick cut or two will allow dragging or to drive around. We usually get a windstorm every year here at home that traps everyone in our dirt road, myself and a couple neighbors usually cut everyone out since we can be done 24-48 hours before the road crew or power company gets there, so people can get to work and a fire or ems truck could reach people if anything happened—thats when I definitely bring the big gas saws.