Truck Camping recommendations

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking about selling my Cabelas Alaknak 12x12 tent to get a little bit smaller, and simpler/quicker to set up. thoughts on good alternatives?
Things I am considering, Springbar tents, Hilleberg red label free standing, Davis single pole tent, Montana Range tent, ???

Looking at using this tent for solo weekend trips with the dogs. I am on the fence for a stove or not a stove. I
currently have a Seek Cimeron, and a Davis 14x16, so looking for a middle ground. I don't like the idea of camps/tents that are attached to the truck, I prefer to throw down shop and take off from a base location.
I looked through a search of the forum and mostly found tents people are keeping attached to trucks. Thoughts on other brand/tents to research?
IMG_0871.jpeg

taskswap

WKR
Wow is a that a Britt in the background? Missing mine now...

I'm confused about your title. You seems to be poking around the options for various wall tents but the original post is about truck camping? What's your goal?

OP
coyote_out

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
@taskswap yep that's a Britt, I now have two, love them! the other dog is a Griff.
I guess what I mean by truck camping is that I will be using my truck as primary mode of transportation, and weight isn't really as much of a concern, as would be some extra space and room for extra gear. I am not set on wall tents because of the size they take up in the truck, and typically they are an ordeal to set up. (but I do like canvas). Springbars seam like a good option, like a compact or a 7x9 is probably what I would want, so other tents in that type of functionality I think would be interesting.
Goal is to reduce packed size in the pick-up, smaller footprint on the ground, and to reduce set up time.

I don't know how long it takes to setup an Alaknak, but if I'm trying I can get my Kodiak Canvas 10x14 up in less than 10 minutes. I think the only downside is weight/bulk. If it's really just you and dogs only maybe a 10x10 or even one of their smaller options.

PlanoDano

FNG
I went with the same option as the 2 posters above me. I usually do not worry about truck camping and rely on light backpacking setup even close to the truck. I purchased the KC 10X14. I do not want to mess with a wood stove on hunting trips. I do have a Mr. heater buddy with tank adapter if really needed but I have went really cold without heat and been comfortable. The exception is once I ended up with soaked through rain gear in moderately cold weather.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the spring bar 10x14 now and it’s a great tent but the bulk,poles, and number of stakes all have me searching for something a bit smaller and easier/faster to setup…

Wheels

WKR
I have an Alaknak 12x12 if I’m with others and a Cabela’s Alaskan Guide 6 person if I’m hunting solo. The Alaskan Guide is perfect for 1 person and a cot with room for your supplies. I am going to ditch the Alaknak for a Kodiak Canvas Cabin Lodge with the awning though.

rootacres

WKR
IMG_FAC28A9DD22E-1.jpeg

So I went on a coues hunt not really knowing if it was going to be a truck camp or backcountry so I kinda had to be prepared for both. I rocked my SO Cimarron and then brought my 10x10 pop up tent. Tied it down with some P cord and it served as our cook/lounging tent. It fits a table and two ARB chairs with plenty of room to spare. You could easily sleep in it too. Not fancy but ended up being very functional. On the cooler nights I would bust out the Mr. Buddy heater. Setup and teardown was quick.

dtrkyman

WKR
I bought a Gazelle t4 overland, used it about 10 nights now and it has been great. Mostly dry weather but did have a good storm one night and several really windy days, no issue.

The overland model is worth the extra coin, upgraded stakes and a ground sheet as well as a nicer carry bag I believe.

It takes me longer to get it out of the bag than it does to set it up! Used a buddy heater in it morning and evening, even half the night on a few cold nights last week after grabbing the wrong sleeping bag.

Tall enough to stand in and plenty of space for a legit mattress, heater and your stuff, I heard someone talk of bad condensation running a propane heater but I had zero even having the heater on for 5 hrs. I am in New Mexico so the condensation thing may be different elseware?

Only draw back at this point I can see is it packs up really long, it does fit inside my grand cherokee no problem.

If you had a minimal camp you could easily relocate camp daily with this thing.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking a little outside the box. Ice tent link.

I've spent a bunch of time in a pop up ice shelter similar to that. Quick to set up, heats easily and has lots of space. I'm planning on using it for camping also.

dtrkyman

WKR
I almost went the insulated ice tent route. Thought the Gazelle was more practical.

TSAMP

WKR
I bought a Gazelle t4 overland, used it about 10 nights now and it has been great. Mostly dry weather but did have a good storm one night and several really windy days, no issue.

The overland model is worth the extra coin, upgraded stakes and a ground sheet as well as a nicer carry bag I believe.

It takes me longer to get it out of the bag than it does to set it up! Used a buddy heater in it morning and evening, even half the night on a few cold nights last week after grabbing the wrong sleeping bag.

Tall enough to stand in and plenty of space for a legit mattress, heater and your stuff, I heard someone talk of bad condensation running a propane heater but I had zero even having the heater on for 5 hrs. I am in New Mexico so the condensation thing may be different elseware?

Only draw back at this point I can see is it packs up really long, it does fit inside my grand cherokee no problem.

I liked the idea of these but thought the doors design for entry/exit would be annoying. How do you like that?

fmyth

WKR

I have a Gazele T3. I love it for solo trips and one nighters. As you posted it takes longer to get it out of the bag than to set it up. I took it on a solo scouting trip late last November near Flagstaff AZ. I was prepared for single digit tems with my Little Buddy heater. The first night I had the little Buddy on low and was sleeping like a baby when the Carbon Monoxide detector went off about 3am. I jumped out of my sleeping bag and tried to unzip the door but it was frozen shut. I had the zipper on 2 of the windows open about 12"s for ventilation but the condensation from my breath and the propane stove covered the mesh ceiling vents and window screens and then froze over sealing me in. If I hadn't taken my battery powered Kidde Carbon Monoxide Detector I don't think I'd be here today. I've never had this problem camping with the Buddy Heater in my canvas Kodiak tent. I wont use the Buddy heater in the Gazelle again.

dtrkyman

WKR
Wow that is crazy, maybe the larger t4 is the reason I had no condensation? Definitely a dry climate where I was, temp was 16 degress both nights. Zero condensation and very little frost on any walls.

Is most of the ceiling on the t3 vented? The majority of it is on the t4. The material of the tent is definitely not breathable.

I never planned on running heat all night but forgot my zero degree bag.

fmyth

WKR
Wow that is crazy, maybe the larger t4 is the reason I had no condensation? Definitely a dry climate where I was, temp was 16 degress both nights. Zero condensation and very little frost on any walls.

Is most of the ceiling on the t3 vented? The majority of it is on the t4. The material of the tent is definitely not breathable.

I never planned on running heat all night but forgot my zero degree bag.
I ran the heater all night and it was in the single digits. I think the smaller volume of the T3 combined with running the heater all night was probably the issue. The mesh on the ceiling and windows does a great job at keeping bugs out but may be woven too tight and seemed to catch the condensation. Probably wouldnt have been an issue if it hadn't been so damn cold.