Truck bed cover

Dented

WKR
My Diamondback arrived this morning. Holy crap, I had seen them previously, but never opened so that I could inspect the interior. These things are bombproof. I'll start the install tomorrow. Right now, I'm pleased with the build quality and details.

tony

WKR
If you can, have somebody help you set it up. Especially the locks, it can be done one person, 2 makes it a lot easier. Did you get a cross bin? Well worth the money!

Attachments

• IMG_6839.jpeg
    IMG_6839.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6844.jpeg
    IMG_6844.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
Glockster26
Diamond Back SE with an 8" cross bin on my ranger
Made in the US with a LT warranty
Super secure, like you would need a crowbar and some time to get into it. With the locks set right, there's no smash and grab with the DB.
Real good water resistance.

Question is, what model truck you putting it on. Small truck is a real pain in the ass. The DB has a cross bar that the lids mount on. You can take the lids off, but you are left with the cross bar. That might be fine on a 6.5 or 8 foot bed. My 5 foot ranger, I'm not hauling much in that bed with the bar in place. Yeah you can remove the whole thing, again a PITA. And no way I'd haul a ATV on this cover like DB says you can. That looks so top heavy its not funny.

Do I hate it? Not at all, just know what your getting. If I had to do it again, I would have bought a cheaper tri fold. I had an extang or something like that on my f150. It was pretty decent, secure and held the water out pretty good. Big reason on a small truck, I can remove the cover myself and put it back on myself.
I see what you mean about the crossbar. That really wouldn’t work for as much as I use my bed to haul stuff.

Dented

WKR
I'll have one of my kids help with the setup. Looked at it and decided I'd definitely want a second set of hands. 😅

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to pick up some type of retractable or trifold bed cover for my pick up this year. Seems like most start out around $1,000 and up.
No soft covers. Want something that provides some security.
What do you have, what do you like, any good places to buy or lesser known models that are good value?
I know you wanted to avoid softcovers but my .02 cents based off having a softtopper on a truck for two years before I sold the truck. Holds up extremely well in the wind, make a solid back panel for cheap if you want full concealment, and security wise imo it has so many cross bars that even if someone tried to get it it would be near impossible unless you were ballsy trying to bust in. I would assume same with a hard tonneau. Kept waterfowl decoys, dog kennel and misc items in it throughout all last winter and lots more space than a tonneau.

Earp

FNG
I have a diamondback on my Tundra, and I really like it. I have hauled my Honda rancher atv on top of it with no problems. The ramps are really nice, but it’s steep and always a little hairy driving it up on it.

Fowl Play

WKR
Allot of people recommending diamondback, I have one. They are great, I love mine, but likely not what you are looking for. Retrax or Bakflip likely fit it better. With diamondbacks you can flip the individual panels back onto themselves. Open up 1/3 the bed for something larger. After that you are left with putting it on top or removing the crossbar. Now if you need to haul 1600lbs worth of ATV on your cover, nothing beats it.

Attachments

• IMG_3976.jpeg
    IMG_3976.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 16
I got the lomax trifold. It’s real nice but only folds up 2/3. It is easy to take off and set in the bed if you need the whole bed. Got a good price too from the f150 forums. It’s dry and haven’t had any leaks yet. Pretty secure. I wanted to like the diamondback but I just don’t think it was for me and my uses. I like to be able to jump in the bed and grab stuff because I am not very tall and these new tricks are ginormous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony

WKR
Allot of people recommending diamondback, I have one. They are great, I love mine, but likely not what you are looking for. Retrax or Bakflip likely fit it better. With diamondbacks you can flip the individual panels back onto themselves. Open up 1/3 the bed for something larger. After that you are left with putting it on top or removing the crossbar. Now if you need to haul 1600lbs worth of ATV on your cover, nothing beats it.
Whats the front piece you have on yours?

Fowl Play

WKR
Whats the front piece you have on yours?
It’s the “low profile cab guard”. Allows the front ATV tires to rest against it so they don’t go through your back window. Also super nice for catching wood and lots of other things I put on top.

Ebby

WKR
The main thing you need to decide is how much you want to use the full bed. If you don't think you will need to use the full bed very often, Diamondback is a great option. If you need to use the full bed occasionally then you need something else. I think the best of the Trifold ones are the Bakflip models. I've had several. The only drawback really is that you lose visibility if the cover is folded fully open. The roll up models like Retrax that use a canister also take up a lot of the bed space inside the bed. The best compromise I found was the Sentry CT Roll up cover from Truxedo. Opens almost fully and does not restrict your view when open. Does not take up any space insside the bed when opened. It's also rigid and just as secure and weather tight as any others. Super easy install as well. Just my 2 cents after having owned 5-6 different models from various brands. Currently I'm using a SmartCap. Love it.

Lee