Truck bed cover preference

get a soft topper canopy.
like you said, if someone wants to break into a hard top canopy, they will.
soft topper is nice because it folds down in seconds so you can haul stuff that you wouldnt fit under a canopy or tonneau cover, can be removed by yourself and hung on your garage wall taking up no space, weighs about 30 lbs, and is cheaper. loved mine on my last tacoma.

Twang10

FNG
I have soft one you roll up. I love it cuz you can utilize all your bed space!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bat-cave

WKR
I had a Pace Edwards JackRabbit on my last truck and went with the RetracPro on my current truck. I like the security and weather resistance you get with both. Both have options for adding rails, which means you can mount up towers (Yakima/Thule etc ...) for whatever you need to carry. I had the manual version with PaceEdwards and went the automatic route this time around ... mostly it's easy to hit the auto tailgate and open the bed cover w/o getting out to unload hockey bags on the go etc ... Not necessary, but it is convenient. I would strongly suggest looking into both as they are both solid products and mine have worked very well.

It's also pretty slick to be able to close the bed just enough to leave room for antlers or bulky objects w/o having to open it all the way.

Cap, I've had roll tops before, seems like everything I wanted to haul didn't fit while closed.

I used to make fun of caps, thought they were for old men. Then I bought one... Didn’t know how I lived without it. I certainly wouldn’t fit half the shit I needed hunting without it.

I’d go cap, especially with a truck with as small of a bed as a Tacoma.

mlgc20

WKR
I have a 2018 Ford F250. When I bought it I had them put in one of those OEM trifold covers. Had it for about a year and then switched to an ARE cap. I couldn't be happier. It has so much more useful space than before. And it is truly weatherproof.

Topper on my Dodge Ram, I wouldn't own another truck without one. Keeps everything dry and allows me to sleep/eat/change/etc...wherever I am.

Nuther vote for the Bakflip MX4...keeps water & dust out, can be used with a truck tent and looks nice. Even smooths the ride a bit cuz it weighs 80lbs. Makes a nice shelf in the tent.

I can close the cover tight with three Coleman® Xtreme 6 Marine 150-Quart Coolers under it.

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just bought a cap for my truck. Impatiently waiting for it to come in. Roof racks for our kayaks, warm and dry for the dog, and a place to camp out of were some of the reasons why I went with a full cap.

What did that run if you don’t mind me asking. I ordered a BAKFlip G2 hard cover for the bed of my new pickup. Would like a topper at some point so I can camp out in it. My beds only 5’8” so I’ve been going back and forth on it.

NEhunter

WKR
What did that run if you don’t mind me asking. I ordered a BAKFlip G2 hard cover for the bed of my new pickup. Would like a topper at some point so I can camp out in it. My beds only 5’8” so I’ve been going back and forth on it.

Hey Jordan, I was near 3k with the one I ordered, however I added Thule roof racks and upgraded the windows to windoor sliders amongst some other smaller options. If those options weren’t wanted you could easily shed near 1k off that at least.

turk870

FNG
I have a 2019 Tacoma TRD offroad, I was thinking of one of the roll up bed covers, but the bed was is so small anyway. I went with an ARE CX cap. I am very happy with it so far.

Have an Extang solid fold, on both a Tundra and Tacoma. Love them. But as others stated the down fall is they must be fully removed to utilize the complete truck box.

Have the same on a Tundra. Takes under 5 minutes to take it completely off to use the full bed if needed.

Use it in the summer months but come fall the topper goes on.

unclerichie724

Lil-Rokslider
Cheap roll top ones are the best. Easy to roll up to gain full access to the bed. I haul a lot of lumber and firewood. I used to use a fiberglass topper and I hated having to crawl into the bed to get the last pieces of wood out and I was always worried about breaking a window. I can lock my tailgate so, unless someone uses a knife, stuff inside is out of sight and reasonably protected.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My 98 Silverado had an access tonneau cover on it when I bought it in 2006, tonneau cover still works fine and that pickup has lived outdoors in ND/MN the entire time.

I’ve had access tonneaus on 3 new trucks since 2014 and no issues with any of them. If not getting a topper, that’s what I’d get.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just put our BAKFlip G2 on this evening. Of course we haven’t used it much but so far super impressed. Fits tight if you put seals on like recommended. That hard top will be nice piece of mind that no one can cut into it easily when parked at say a trailhead or parking lot.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
I have a BakFlip G2 on my 2017 Tacoma and the only issue I have with it is that it leaks water. It mainly leaks on the sides because the top of the truck bed is not flat so the cover doesn’t lay completely flat on it. I think they might have fixed that, but go through a car wash to see if your cover will leak. I’ve learned to put things inside the cabin if I’m expecting rain. Otherwise it’s been super convenient and I’d probably get another on the next truck.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Just put our BAKFlip G2 on this evening. Of course we haven’t used it much but so far super impressed. Fits tight if you put seals on like recommended. That hard top will be nice piece of mind that no one can cut into it easily when parked at say a trailhead or parking lot.

How hard was it to install? This is probably what I’ll end up getting

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How hard was it to install? This is probably what I’ll end up getting

Took us 15 minutes tops. Just need a ratchet/socket to tighten the clamps that hold the rails onto the bed. Then you screw the front of the cover onto the rail and your in business. The instructions are straight forward and simple. Our bed was already sealed from the previous owner but I think I’d recommend doing that if your going to be on dusty roads a lot

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I would say ARE topper or similar. I've had a topper and roll covers and much prefer the topper/cap.