Truck Batteries

elkliver

WKR
I am looking at buying a new battery for my 2004 Tundra. Obviously i want something with good Cold Cranking amps and a decent warranty. . Anything I should look for? Avoid? Current battery is still working but goes dead pretty quickly if you leave the lights on for a bit.. I dont want to have a problem in a bad spot :)

SDHNTR

WKR
Napa Legend if in the market for a standard wet cell. Or Odessey if you want the best and have it in the budget.

Just went thru this decision making process on our 2 household vehicles. Wanted to put a CostCo battery in the wife’s car - we buy everything possible at that damn place; but they never came in stock when they promised. I insist on buying AGM batteries for everything, (maintenance, reliability & longevity), so ended up putting a Duracell Platinum in her Highlander and a yellow-top Optima in my GMC Sierra 1500. Both were insanely expensive, but the older I get, the more I believe in buy once, cry once; and even moderately expensive brand names don’t last worth schit anymore. The days of 5-6 yrs out of a battery are long gone. I feel like I havta pay for reliability & performance - I’m a marketing sucker maybe. But everything on both vehicles runs snappier and brighter, (y)

2531usmc

WKR
Here in Maryland batteries seem to last three to four years no matter how much you spend or what battery you buy. So I buy a new one every three years. Batteries are cheap compared to a dead battery on a dark night or winter morning

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had really good luck with motorcraft batteries they’ve got like 100 month warranty I think normally 10 years if you take care of em also caterpillar batteries usually last 10 years

Wrench

WKR
Battery minder makes a desulfation maintainer that does amazing things for batteries. My jet boat batteries are 2015 and still show 95%. Before I used the battery minder I would be lucky to get 2 years out of them.

Backyard

WKR
Interstate in all my vehicles including the bike. Never needed to use the warranty. Never had a problem with any in over 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have always put Wal-Mart Everstart in all my vehicles. Went down this rabbit hole and wet cell batteries are made by like only two companies and just rebranded and priced based on the sticker. Current one in my Tahoe has been there since 2018. I probably need to replace it but it isn’t showing any signs of issues.

I carry a jump pack with me so worst case scenario I jump it and can be at a Walmart within 30 minutes or less no matter where I am.

Poser

WKR
Just went thru this decision making process on our 2 household vehicles. Wanted to put a CostCo battery in the wife’s car - we buy everything possible at that damn place; but they never came in stock when they promised. I insist on buying AGM batteries for everything, (maintenance, reliability & longevity), so ended up putting a Duracell Platinum in her Highlander and a yellow-top Optima in my GMC Sierra 1500. Both were insanely expensive, but the older I get, the more I believe in buy once, cry once; and even moderately expensive brand names don’t last worth schit anymore. The days of 5-6 yrs out of a battery are long gone. I feel like I havta pay for reliability & performance - I’m a marketing sucker maybe. But everything on both vehicles runs snappier and brighter, (y)

Yeah, I've read that Optimas have gone down hill since relocating manufacturing, though, they are still a better option than most other brands. The Yellow tops are running in the $300-$400 range these days so that's a tough pill to swallow. Of course, with modern vehicles having starters that require 5 hours of labor to replace, the more CCA, the better. Been contemplating this brand as I'll need a new battery for my Toyota soon as well.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I run the walmart everstart for everything. I've never had an issue, they have lasted me for years. I think 3-5 year life span is nuts for a battery and should be bare minimum. That is living in Mid Atlantic and even northern Maine. So, they've seen some cold

I even use the deep cycle for fishing. I run 2 group 29 for trolling motor and fish finder.

I was told not long ago, there are only 2 (or maybe 3) battery manufacturers . They make ALL the batteries, regardless of the brand name that is put on them. Is there really any difference in them, except maybe the AGM compared to the liquid acid brands? I too was looking to replace the 4 year old battery in my truck and was looking at the Optima AGM, until I saw the price. Is it really worth the high price?

BBob

WKR
Odyssey. I have one pair in a diesel going on 15 years. We’ve gotten our $$$ worth out of those.

In the Arizona heat an interstate gets replaced at 4 years tops to avoid getting stranded. Optima’s went to shyte years ago after Johnson bought them out.

Interstate agm’s are rebranded optima’s. I wouldn’t trust them.

Last edited:
I will only buy AGM batteries.

Personally from Oriley, they're all over the place and my commercial account saves me a big chunk on batteries.

Buy from a place you can easily warranty lots of places.