Truck Batteries

OP
E

elkliver

WKR
Dows AGM require additional steps/parts if your vehicle has a conventional battery? I read something about Regulator Design?

Weldor

WKR
I have read abunch about the AGM's VS Lead acid. Charging seems to be the issues. I put 2 new AGM's in my Ram 2500 diesel, they lasted about a year. Thought that was strange, so went to the dealer and battery guy from Interstate. Both said they get overcharged at anything over 14 volts. So my high output alternator on the diesel killed them. Don't know if it's true but I guess I will find out in couple of months if they tank again. They are subject to alot of heat in the desert also while charging. The weird thing is my side x side came with agms, I checked the charging voltage when running and it is 14.5 and that battery lasted 4 years.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Because they are rebranded or because they are Optimas??
Because they are optima’s. Back when they were a small company and foreign owned (Sweden?) you couldn’t hardly kill them. Everybody I knew had them in cars, trucks and boats. Lifespan went way down not long after Johnson bought them. The company has been sold again I think.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
I was told not long ago, there are only 2 (or maybe 3) battery manufacturers . They make ALL the batteries, regardless of the brand name that is put on them. Is there really any difference in them, except maybe the AGM compared to the liquid acid brands? I too was looking to replace the 4 year old battery in my truck and was looking at the Optima AGM, until I saw the price. Is it really worth the high price?
Optima’s are high priced junk. No, not worth it. Odesseys are much better and will last 10 years and multiple cycles, including withstanding temperature extremes and vibration.

Poser

WKR
Optima’s are high priced junk. No, not worth it. Odesseys are much better and will last 10 years and multiple cycles, including withstanding temperature extremes and vibration.

I looked up Odyssey batteries for my 4runner. The 2 options through Oreilly are $402 and $466. Dang!

OP
E

elkliver

WKR
From what i'm seeing/reading , i'm somewhat inclined to go to a Walmart or O Reilly's, It's likely the same manufacturer and is easily returned since they have locations all over. Unless one steps into the higher end of battery, they are all the same manufacturer so quality is about the same.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Batteries Plus X2 Power. Just replaced one in my 4Runner. IThe previous one lasted 5 years, which is a heck of a long time....that's 5 "oven" season here. We set a record this year for consecutive days of triple digits....something like 110-ish.

When I bought my X2 in 2019, they had a 5 year full replacement warranrty. Now it is 4 years. Generally Corporate America sucks, but this is a great battery.

Good luck,

Eddie

traildust

WKR
I just replaced both batteries in my Cummins, I got 6 years worth use for my daily driver. I replaced them with the same ones as before

O'Reilly ~ SuperStart Platinum......made in Austria

CorbLand

WKR
Fan of Interstates myself. My pickup was going on about 5 years and it only gave out when it got really cold out overnight. Negative temps. We get that bone chilling, no wind kind of cold here.

Just put an Interstate AGM in my wifes car back in Mayish. We will see how it does. Mostly went Interstate on this one because Costco had them and it was the best priced out of all.

Batteries are like tires. You got to be willing to switch brands because one company will do well for a bit, then they seem to cut corners and someone else starts to beat them.

I was told not long ago, there are only 2 (or maybe 3) battery manufacturers . They make ALL the batteries, regardless of the brand name that is put on them. Is there really any difference in them, except maybe the AGM compared to the liquid acid brands? I too was looking to replace the 4 year old battery in my truck and was looking at the Optima AGM, until I saw the price. Is it really worth the high price?
Yes on mfg difference as they are built to customer specs. Normally weight tells you a lot on a lead/acid.

I run AGM in everything but side by side. Interstate AGM went 7 years in 6.7 f250, now running Napa AGM due to back order on Interstate.

Another vote for Odyssey AGM batteries! I have two ODX-AGM65's in my 7.3 Powerstroke. They are by far the best battery I've ever ran. They are an investment, but worth it if you've ever been stranded with dead or weak batteries in sub zero temps. The Odyssey's spin the engine fast at negative temps. After sitting for multiple days in single digit Wyoming temps last fall, it spun over like it was sitting at home in California. I've been running the Odyssey's for 2.5 years. The previous 10 years, I ran Costco and Walmart wet cell batteries. Had decent experiences with both.... until they changed the warranties and I couldn't trade them in for new ones every three years.

I converted my Can Am Defender over to an Odyssey AGM last fall. Huge difference when cranking over! I believe the battery has 1200CA for the first 4-5 seconds.

From what i'm seeing/reading , i'm somewhat inclined to go to a Walmart or O Reilly's, It's likely the same manufacturer and is easily returned since they have locations all over. Unless one steps into the higher end of battery, they are all the same manufacturer so quality is about the same.
Did you ever pull the trigger on a new battery??

Yes on mfg difference as they are built to customer specs. Normally weight tells you a lot on a lead/acid.

I run AGM in everything but side by side. Interstate AGM went 7 years in 6.7 f250, now running Napa AGM due to back order on Interstate.
Why not in the SxS?