Trophy Elk: What's it to YOU

I think it goes without saying that a 350 inch bull is a trophy in anyone’s book. If it isn’t take me hunting where you hunt and I’ll shoot the little ones.

I keep seeing that 300 number. I know that a lot of guys on here know what a 300 inch bull looks like. But a lot of newer hunters do not.

For 12 years I did outdoor shows all over the east selling guided hunts in western Montana. I had a bull in my booth. I considered it to be a very realistic expectation for anyone who booked a hunt with me. Some outfitters have giant bulls on display that any of their hunters would be extremely lucky to even lay eyes on. Ancient bulls. Sometimes elk that weren’t even killed in their area. Anyway, the one I had has really nice fronts. Very good thirds as well. The fourth points are just average. The backend was small. Over the years I had countless hunters point at that elk and say to me “if I could get a 300 inch bull like that I would be happy“. I would say are you going to be a happy hunter if you kill an elk like this one? They would say yes and then I told him that it scored 270 inches. It was officially measured and in the Pope and Young book at 263 after deductions..

As long as a bull isn’t a little scraggly little raghorn 6, any 6 point bull is worth shooting every year on public land in a general license or OTC unit. I’ve passed up my share of bulls but never a 6 point. I consider it a good mature representative animal for the species.

And every time I read a post from guys that say yep I killed a 300 incher, I can’t help but think I wonder what that bull actually taped at.

My only bull, killed just last year, measured 339. If it would have scored 250 I still would have been overwhelmed w excitement. It was a hunt I’ll never forget, the whole experience and not just the harvest. I try to take everything into consideration.

Also, realizing I’m gonna have a hard time topping my first. But, I’ll try..