Trivia (Big Game)

Which of the following big game animals is not native to the Western United States but has been succ

• Caribou

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Mountain Goat

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Muskox

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Axis Deer

Votes: 95 82.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Got my vote in. Based on the responses showing up after you vote either most of us are wrong or most of us got it right.

IDVortex

WKR
And while the Dept of The Interior iradicates Kaibab-genetic mule deer from Santa Rosa and American Mountain Goat from the Olympics, they choose to retain burros and "mustangs". Oh well.
I never knew the Olympics had goats... that is cool. Sad they're gone.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
And while the Dept of The Interior iradicates Kaibab-genetic mule deer from Santa Rosa and American Mountain Goat from the Olympics, they choose to retain burros and "mustangs". Oh well.
They relocated a pile of the goats, 50 or so to the North Cascades. All but 2 have died I think.

bpa556

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda my point!

BUT....in their defense, 98% of Border Patrol horse patrol mounts are (were?) mustangs.
A few BP mounts are forfeiture or confiscations.

The percentage was never anywhere close to 98%. Most units have stopped using them altogether and are back to purchasing Quarter Horses.

The only benefits to the mustang program were cost (essentially free) and the fact that they are nearly indestructible. Very hardy animals.

Biggest issue is they’re wild. You can break them to ride, but you can’t train the “spooky” out of a wild animal’s lizard brain. They spook at everything.

Most of them are also barrel-chested with no withers to speak of. Not a good recipe when a fair percentage of BP riders didn’t grow up on the back of a horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk