Trivia (Big Game)

Which of the following big game animals is not native to the Western United States but has been succ

• Caribou

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Mountain Goat

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Muskox

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Axis Deer

Votes: 95 82.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The percentage was never anywhere close to 98%. Most units have stopped using them altogether and are back to purchasing Quarter Horses.

The only benefits to the mustang program were cost (essentially free) and the fact that they are nearly indestructible. Very hardy animals.

Biggest issue is they’re wild. You can break them to ride, but you can’t train the “spooky” out of a wild animal’s lizard brain. They spook at everything.

Most of them are also barrel-chested with no withers to speak of. Not a good recipe when a fair percentage of BP riders didn’t grow up on the back of a horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of the CBP HPU's I'm aware of, all their mounts are mustangs and a couple of forfeitures. No blooded stock.
Along the southern desert border, they would be smart to use Arabian stock. Much more resilient to heat and dry with outstanding stamina.

While "snowbirds" in south Texas, the wife and me attend alot of local parades and events. CBP HPU has been present numerous times and I don't recall they ever had a problem with their mounts being spooky or nervous.
Like you, I figured mustangs would always be a bit "edgy". Haven't witnessed it......yet!

.....and you're correct. Most of the agents don't have much of a seat.
At the station nearest where we stay, there is a female HPU agent that is very friendly and has told us quite a bit about the horses.