Tripod discussion

I'm looking into getting a vortex spotter from Elknut, but I have no idea where to start for a tripod. Post up what you guys use for tripods! I'm looking into something smaller and lightweight and that can hold a viper HD65mm , I'll most likely be glassing while seated.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the Slik 340 EZ as a balance between weight, stability, and expense.

I am strongly considering going all out on an Outdoorsmans setup, though, after reading Aron's article.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Outdorrsman Medium Tripon and Jim White head is what I use and it is just perfect. You can't go wrong with the Outdoorsman Tripod.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use the same tripod as Doug, but I use the Outdoorsman pan head instead of the JW.

I would highly recommend it to anyone.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Velbon ultra MAXi M best I have used so far given the weight, compactness, and ability to be used in the sanding position

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I know I'm a cheap ass, but after buyin my swaro last season I didn't have much money to spend on a tripod so I went with this one and while I know it isn't very well known I have been using it w/out issue for the past year and a half w/ a promaster panhead and I really like it. I was gonna look at upgrading but just decided to use this on til it craps out then upgrade since it has worked very well for me...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...&skuId=1062852

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
I also run the Outdoorsman. Medium Tripod with the Pan Head. My only bitch is that I keep loosing the little rubber feet. I need to start glueing them in.

The best Tripod I have found.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I glued those things in about 5 minutes after I pulled it out of the box...used epoxy and I don't think I could get them out now if I wanted to.

a3dhunter

WKR
Velbon Ultra Max tripod just arrived this evening in the mail.
All I can say is WOW.
I've been using the Vortex Ridgeview, it is big and heavy.
The Velbon is very small, very packable, and lightweight. Perfect match for the Minox MD50 scope I picked up, and will work well with my binos as well.

Luke did an excellent review on here:
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/167-velbon-ultra-max

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Dotman, I looked that one over and basically just came down to it weighing nearly 30% more than the one I chose. Other than that I am sure it's a great tripod as well just never got my paws on that one.

B

bearguide

gitzo is the lightest strongest and most expensive in each size class

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know what Gitzo is offering now, but my Outdoorsman Medium with the head is just under 3pounds and works in every possible position except standing. The Gitzo brand is top of the the line photography tripods, which are generally built heavier for maximum stability, but poor pack ability. I guess the could have broadened their market. The Outdoorsman is for hunters by hunters.

B

bearguide

i will take a look at outdoorsman / i am always looking for lighter better stuff , that is why i am on this site / to find the best stuff , recomended by people who really check things out

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bearguide, I don't think you will be disappointed. One thing about the Outdoorsman is the tripod can go down flat, so if you sit with your legs out, folded, or any other way, it will flatten out so the scope is at the correct level for your comfort. The Outdoorsman is pricey though when you add up the tripod and one of their heads. I have not personally seen anything lighter or stronger though, and I have bought and sold many others before settling on this one.

Benny

FNG
I've got a Slik 613CF w/ an Outdoorsman Pan Head that I....well I simply lust over when I'm not using it. Combo sits somewhere in the 2.2lbs range.

Dead eye

FNG
I've been using the medium Outdoorsman for about 4 years and I don't think you can get a better tripod! I even went on a weight kick and drilled out the legs and center post to reduce weight even more! I wish you could take the center post out and still be able to attach the scope to the tripod when the legs are straight out! I spoke with Outdoorsman and they said they would look into it!