Triple Seven

Anyone out there using using Triple Seven powder? How does it stack up to Blackhorn 209? Can’t find BH209 at a reasonable price so looking for an alternative.
I used Triple 7 for years before I ever tried BH209. Honestly, I like Triple 7. It never let me down and was very accurate. I just got in the habit of swabbing between shots at the range. It's not a big deal. I also like the water cleanup at the end of the day. With BH209 getting so expensive and hard to find, I'm probably going back to Triple 7 when I run out of what little BH209 I have left.

OP already bought the 777, so probably a moot point now. However, I would never switch back to 777. It draws moisture and will rust out your gear if not cleaned immaculately.

I've never had any ignition issues with BH209 out of CVA Accura with BH breech plug. To the contrary, I've left the rifle loaded for months and picked it up and fired it without any problems whatsoever.

I won’t use any ammonia on my barrels. Use ammonia free windex or good old hot water and dish soap. Cleans easy.
That is to bad... ammonia is a metal stripper and works very well getting T7 residue out.

Here is a statement from Dan Lilja about the use of ammonia in a barrel

Windex with ammoinia

Dan Lilja of Lilja Precision Rifle barrels has never seen any damage in one of his barrels caused by the use of ammonia. Dan writes: "The rumor is that copper-removing cleaners with ammonia will pit and damage the interior surface of a barrel. Ammonia is very effective as a copper remover. We use solvents, such as Butch's Bore Shine, to remove copper during the break-in. We routinely leave Butch's solution in the barrel over night too. Again, I repeat, we have never seen a problem with ammonia in the concentrations found in commercial cleaners, in either our chrome-moly or stainless steel barrels. This includes examination with our borescope."

Ucsdryder

WKR
That is to bad... ammonia is a metal stripper and works very well getting T7 residue out.

Here is a statement from Dan Lilja about the use of ammonia in a barrel

Windex with ammoinia

Dan Lilja of Lilja Precision Rifle barrels has never seen any damage in one of his barrels caused by the use of ammonia. Dan writes: "The rumor is that copper-removing cleaners with ammonia will pit and damage the interior surface of a barrel. Ammonia is very effective as a copper remover. We use solvents, such as Butch's Bore Shine, to remove copper during the break-in. We routinely leave Butch's solution in the barrel over night too. Again, I repeat, we have never seen a problem with ammonia in the concentrations found in commercial cleaners, in either our chrome-moly or stainless steel barrels. This includes examination with our borescope."
Have you tried hot soap and hot water in a bucket? Use a cotton bore swab, but the end of the barrel in the bucket and work the cotton bore swab back and forth. It’ll “suck” the hot soapy water into the barrel. Let dry and your done. It works amazingly well. I bet I can clean 777 out of a barrel as fast or faster than you can with ammonia. The difference is that ammonia is a very aggressive cleaner. Maybe he’s right, but I’ve also heard the opposite. If there’s an alternative that works just as good or better, why would you risk it?

I used butches in my centerfires for a long time but stopped due to ammonia. I can’t remember where I read it, but the article talked about the microscopic cracks in the inside of a barrel and how that when you get ammonia in those cracks you aren’t getting it out. So they just stay in there eating away (the reason that any ammonia based cleaner tells you to NOT leave it in your barrel for more than about 10 minutes). Anything that can damage my barrel if left in there for more than a few minutes isn’t something I want to work with. 10 years ago there weren’t alternatives that worked as well as ammonia, now there are. So once again, why take the chance when I can use a similar product that is not corrosive to my barrel, but works just as well.

Btw, I’ve used ammonia free windex and it works just as well as the hot soapy water.

Last edited:
Have you tried hot soap and hot water in a bucket? Use a cotton bore swab, but the end of the barrel in the bucket and work the cotton bore swab back and forth. It’ll “suck” the hot soapy water into the barrel. Let dry and your done. It works amazingly well. I bet I can clean 777 out of a barrel as fast or faster than you can with ammonia. The difference is that ammonia is a very aggressive cleaner. Maybe he’s right, but I’ve also heard the opposite. If there’s an alternative that works just as good or better, why would you risk it?

I used butches in my centerfires for a long time but stopped due to ammonia. I can’t remember where I read it, but the article talked about the microscopic cracks in the inside of a barrel and how that when you get ammonia in those cracks you aren’t getting it out. So they just stay in there eating away (the reason that any ammonia based cleaner tells you to NOT leave it in your barrel for more than about 10 minutes). Anything that can damage my barrel if left in there for more than a few minutes isn’t something I want to work with. 10 years ago there weren’t alternatives that worked as well as ammonia, now there are. So once again, why take the chance when I can use a similar product that is not corrosive to my barrel, but works just as well.

Btw, I’ve used ammonia free windex and it works just as well as the hot soapy water.
I like that soapy bucket idea! I'll have to give that a go.

^^^^100%

When I used 777 back in the day, this method always worked fantastic. Screaming hot water and soap, and it indeed sucks it right up the barrel. Also, when you get the steel really hot it dries more completely or so I read back in the past.

Have you tried hot soap and hot water in a bucket? Use a cotton bore swab, but the end of the barrel in the bucket and work the cotton bore swab back and forth. It’ll “suck” the hot soapy water into the barrel. Let dry and your done. It works amazingly well. I bet I can clean 777 out of a barrel as fast or faster than you can with ammonia. The difference is that ammonia is a very aggressive cleaner. Maybe he’s right, but I’ve also heard the opposite. If there’s an alternative that works just as good or better, why would you risk it?[/quote[

O gosh YES! many years ago especially when shooting side hammers it was a regular routine! And it worked. But today I have moved way beyond that and I would like to believe - it is much faster easier and just as clean. + plus no real mess to clean up.

I used butches in my centerfires for a long time but stopped due to ammonia. I can’t remember where I read it, but the article talked about the microscopic cracks in the inside of a barrel and how that when you get ammonia in those cracks you aren’t getting it out.
[/QUOTE]
Really not sure about that - the ammonia evaporates so fast it will not stay anywhere for very long. The amount of ammonia in Windex is negligible as compared to other bore cleaning fluids.
So they just stay in there eating away (the reason that any ammonia based cleaner tells you to NOT leave it in your barrel for more than about 10 minutes). Anything that can damage my barrel if left in there for more than a few minutes isn’t something I want to work with. 10 years ago there weren’t alternatives that worked as well as ammonia, now there are. So once again, why take the chance when I can use a similar product that is not corrosive to my barrel, but works just as well.
[/QUOTE]
I have not found a major manufacturer that supports your thoughts. I assume you saw Dan Lilja statement about the se of ammonia.

This will get you to his web site.

I can note locate the post on the use of ammonia that Dan put up right now other than my copy that I copied several years ago.

Yes, I tried the regular Windex with vinegar for awhile but it didn't seem to work as well or consistently like Blue Windex.

In fact I use it every time I shoot T7 powder with 209 ignition - it pushes right through the infamous "crud ring" - cleans it out very well.

Cleaning for me is not a really easy routine! This picture illustrates what I do for cleaning and works very well for me either with T7 or BH.

Bore-Cleaning.jpg
]

This pic shows how I make the bore swabbing patches for shooting T7

Also make sure you understand that I am telling you how I do it - not saying what you do is wrong at all! Lots of people have other ideals that work well for them!

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone out there using using Triple Seven powder? How does it stack up to Blackhorn 209? Can’t find BH209 at a reasonable price so looking for an alternative.

They are not comparable in my opinion. Bh209 is the best powder out there by a long shot for muzzys. It is spendy but soooooo much cleaner and more accurate. If you aren’t willing to pay more for bh209 then I would-
A-reconsider and pay more:) because it’s worth it
B- shoot 777 loose powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR

I was told to use 1/2 windshield wash fluid and 1/2 rubbing alcohol mix. Works great. Not sure if it has ammonia in it.

Been using it for years and it works great.

I was told to use 1/2 windshield wash fluid and 1/2 rubbing alcohol mix. Works great. Not sure if it has ammonia in it.

Been using it for years and it works great.

Rich that is a widely used combination for patching. It is especially good for winter use in the field while hunting.

And that combination would not contain any ammonia.

They are not comparable in my opinion. Bh209 is the best powder out there by a long shot for muzzys. It is spendy but soooooo much cleaner and more accurate. If you aren’t willing to pay more for bh209 then I would-
A-reconsider and pay more:) because it’s worth it
B- shoot 777 loose powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has not been my experience that BH209 is more accurate than well measured Triple 7. If anything, I have shot better groups with the Triple 7.

I would concur with Newtosavage.

I use both powders a lot. There is no doubt that BH is more convenient than T7 and will produce greater velocities with the heavier bullets. In the case of a 300gr. bullet - 120 gr. V load of BH will create about a 150 fps more than a like amount of T7. But then again with lighter bullets BH loses velocity as compared to like amounts of T7.

Accuracy, I really do not see a huge difference. They both hit the spot with the right load combination and do a great job.

Last edited: