Trijicon Huron 3-9x40mm Drop Evaluation Q&A

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
See-

Loper

WKR
Good to know these did well. If I recall, these were pretty inexpensive a few months back when they were on sale.

WKR
A highly anticipated test for many. Thanks for getting it out so quickly.

@Formidilosus what was your opinion of the eye relief?

The Guide

WKR
I have this scope on my Howa Mini in 223 and it has done very well so far for me. With the Black Hills 5.56 77tmk @2758 fps, the hashmarks line up to ~250, 350, 450 yards. 480 yards is where that ammo hits 1800 fps so no need to dial with it. Everyone I've put behind the scope has shot well with it. My son killed a mule deer doe with it last year.

Jay

Dobermann

WKR
1 in tube, SFP, and BDC reticle. Yech.

To expand on what @JollyRoger said, if they did a 30 mm tube, FFP, with a good hunting reticle, which was as reliable as their other offerings have shown, this would give us something to add to the SWFA, Mave, and LRHS/LRTS stable.

C'mon Trijicon!

To expand on what @JollyRoger said, if they did a 30 mm tube, FFP, with a good hunting reticle, which was as reliable as their other offerings have shown, this would give us something to add to the SWFA, Mave, and LRHS/LRTS stable.

C'mon Trijicon!
They already have a 30mm ffp scope

C'mon Trijicon!
Cmon man, that’s not what this scope is trying to be.

the market also needs reliable budget deer hunting scopes that can take a hit. Lots of hunters want a set and forget deer rifle and aren’t shooting past 250 yards

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Cmon man, that’s not what this scope is trying to be.

the market also needs reliable budget deer hunting scopes that can take a hit. Lots of hunters want a set and forget deer rifle and aren’t shooting past 250 yards
This is exactly the market, and why I swapped out my Vortex BDC for this Huron model after seeing the drop tests. Same price scope, both 1" tube and BDC, but better reliability.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Really glad I picked up a couple of these from Euro when they were 299

I think its about the perfect kids scope

Last edited:

CBB1

WKR
Glad to read this

Me too, I invested in several of these for that price. For an east cost set and forgot scope I don’t know what else you would want. I just wish the BDC lined better with my rifle at a 100 yard zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
I have this scope on my Howa Mini in 223 and it has done very well so far for me. With the Black Hills 5.56 77tmk @2758 fps, the hashmarks line up to ~250, 350, 450 yards. 480 yards is where that ammo hits 1800 fps so no need to dial with it. Everyone I've put behind the scope has shot well with it. My son killed a mule deer doe with it last year.

Jay

Assume this is at 9X? Thank you for the report!

TxxAgg

WKR
Me too, I invested in several of these for that price. For an east cost set and forgot scope I don’t know what else you would want. I just wish the BDC lined better with my rifle at a 100 yard zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My short barrels are slow so the hask marks line up nicely

RWT

WKR
I am very happy with the results. Shows me I need to bed my rifle before I do anymore testing. This is also evidence to demonstrate bedding benefits more than just increased accuracy.

I now have a reasonably priced option to recommend to my Vortex/ Leupold buddies. The testing is consistent and evidential proving it should hold zero better than other options in that price range.

Macintosh

WKR

C'mon Trijicon!
I also dont care for the bdc reticles.

However, the large majority of hunters in the US are using set it and forget it scopes for hunting whitetailed deer at 250 yards and less, and this type of scope is probably the best tool for that job. The other scopes mentioned are made for a different use case and dont even enter the conversation east of the mississippi . Id go so far as to say that without getting the whitetail crowd to buy into the type of scope durability folks here are interested in, that getting manufacturers to pay attention is much less likely.
Also, the 3-9 huron is available both with a duplex and with a german #4 reticle. I don’t think trijicons duplex reticle is particularly good, the center section is too wide and too fine for my taste, but it works and I think if someone isn’t super finicky about having a really bold reticle it is ok. My wife didn’t bat an eye at it when I slapped one on her rifle.

Last edited: