Trijicon 2.5-15x42mm Credo HX SFP Field Evaluation Q&A

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
In the last pic where your shooting off trekking poles are you just holding them together (that's what it looks like to me) or are you using something like quick-stix:

No quick stix.

I ask because I've experimented with shooting off trekking poles a bit. Mostly with putting the loops of either handle around the other pole to make a cradle. That worked OK, it was just slow, so I'm curious how you prefer to shoot off trekking poles.

Generally looped over each handle, takes about 4 seconds.

Firth

FNG
No quick stix.

Generally looped over each handle, takes about 4 seconds.

I guess I'm just slow. (Apologies for the derail) I ask because one of the eye-opening things for me running the 20-shot drill with the 2, 3, 5, & 7 MOA targets has been speed getting into various positions. If I start standing, rifle attached to my pack with some flavor of carrier 20 seconds is plenty for the offhand shots and sitting unsupported. 20 is also fine for sitting supported, if I use my pack for the support or if I start with sticks in my hand. If I have to separate sticks from a pack, I'm not fast enough. Same with trekking poles unless they handles are looped beforehand and I start with them in my hands, rather than stowed on my pack. Just looking for ways to increase speed. It sounds like more practice is in order.

Prone off my pack is also tough for me to make in 15 seconds (again if I start with my pack on and rifle attached). It's no problem if I start with the pack on the ground and the rifle in my hands, but my understanding is the par times are for starting set up as if hunting.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Same with trekking poles unless they handles are looped beforehand and I start with them in my hands, rather than stowed on my pack. Just looking for ways to increase speed. It sounds like more practice is in order.

It takes me about 8-9 seconds or so to get off the first shot with rifle in carrier, hiking sticks in hands- if I use the pack and not sticks for a rest. If I use the sticks for the seated/kneeling supported, it takes about 13-
15 seconds for the first shot.

Prone off my pack is also tough for me to make in 15 seconds (again if I start with my pack on and rifle attached). It's no problem if I start with the pack on the ground and the rifle in my hands, but my understanding is the par times are for starting set up as if hunting.

It should be about 10-12 seconds to go from standing with everything on and strapped to first shot from prone.

Hagas4all

FNG
It takes me about 8-9 seconds or so to get off the first shot with rifle in carrier, hiking sticks in hands- if I use the pack and not sticks for a rest. If I use the sticks for the seated/kneeling supported, it takes about 13-

It should be about 10-12 seconds to go from standing with everything on and strapped to first shot from prone.
Are you using a rifle carrier or just side straps?

Firth

FNG

Thanks for these responses. Other than using trekking poles, I'm not far off. Really just a couple seconds slow. From prone I'm more like 13-14 seconds to first shot and the second is right at, or just after 15.

No, I don’t prefer the gun bearer. Almost always I’m using Stone Glaciers rifle carrier, or the rifle is in the side pocket of the pack.
If it’s strapped to side of pack are you typically carrying pistol? Also, do you recommend any gun carriers for MR packs?

SDHNTR

WKR
I find the sg carrier basically unusable, that little strap for the top never stays anywhere I can reach it.
I use a Stone Glacier pack too, so maybe that makes a different, but I don’t have that problem. Stays right on the shoulder pad.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If it’s strapped to side of pack are you typically carrying pistol? Also, do you recommend any gun carriers for MR packs?

When it is early enough that bears are a concern, and I am not carrying the rifle in hand- yes I carry a pistol.

I find the sg carrier basically unusable, that little strap for the top never stays anywhere I can reach it.

Put it on the frame at the top, or instead of using their strap, use your chest strap.

Anyone know if SG sling works with k3 frame?
It attaches or loops to some specific points on the sg frame. But maybe with some macgyvering might work on the exo. Check out some install YouTube vids on the sg channel and you should get a better idea for if it might work.