Tricer LP (panhead)

6.5x284

WKR

The Wiser is definitely more robust. I’ll run the wiser on my hunts and the Tricer on my window mount I’ve decided (and backup and if a buddy needs, etc…). I will say I doubt it would ever break. But it’s noticeably thinner in what I as a non engineer would consider key load supporting right angles. I can flex it where I can’t flex the Wiser. Again, I doubt I’d ever actually break it on a hunt. But I’ll carry the on that appears stronger. I prefer the handle on the Tricer however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
I don't see any sort of locking mechanism on this head, as in pin or anything for plates, anyone have any concerns with loosing their optics off the top?

OP
JakeSCH

JakeSCH

WKR
I don't see any sort of locking mechanism on this head, as in pin or anything for plates, anyone have any concerns with loosing their optics off the top?

Do you mean to lock the plate in place?? Yeah there is a knob on top that you twist to tighten, same as most panheads.

Attachments

• CC4B2C51-8251-4B61-A945-B0B3C9B09EDF.jpeg
    CC4B2C51-8251-4B61-A945-B0B3C9B09EDF.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 65

sr80

WKR
Do you mean to lock the plate in place?? Yeah there is a knob on top that you twist to tighten, same as most panheads.
yeah i understand how that works, a lot of heads will have a second type of fail safe, as in a pin with a push button. Or even the small rig units have on their plates two little allan screws that if you place your spotter on and for some reason dont tighten it fully the plate wont slide off because the allan scews catch.

Rob5589

WKR
There is no secondary locking mechanism. That would certainly add weight and complicate the design some.

sr80

WKR
Could someone post a picture of it folded down as if you were stowing it to strap to the side of your pack please and thanks!

Just ordered one through GoHUNT. Excited to try it out with my old sirui tripod. Really want to upgrade to the AD or BC but not sure if I can justify the cost.

The Wiser is definitely more robust. I’ll run the wiser on my hunts and the Tricer on my window mount I’ve decided (and backup and if a buddy needs, etc…). I will say I doubt it would ever break. But it’s noticeably thinner in what I as a non engineer would consider key load supporting right angles. I can flex it where I can’t flex the Wiser. Again, I doubt I’d ever actually break it on a hunt. But I’ll carry the on that appears stronger. I prefer the handle on the Tricer however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great reason to keep supporting the US made and better quality manufacturers. I get everyone is trying to make a living, but the nighthawk was out well before this one and I feel like a Chinese knockoff of the wiser nighthawk is all it is. Appreciate your comparison between the two!

The wiser on a 634 for comparison - its lighter than my 624 with Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip by about 5-6 ounces. Put the wiser on the 624 and save about another 5 ounces. The handle folds between the tripod legs perfectly. Also on the wiser vs tricer video review, 1 of the cons of the wiser is the bounceback on the pan if the pan knob doesnt have any resistance on it. Wiser changed their sealings and there is no bounceback regardless of the tension on the pan knob. I think theyll even replace the old ones if you send it in to them.

Ive also seen a video review (backwoods pursuit) that lists a con of the wiser on a slik tripod. He says that the base on the slik tripod is too big and prevents the wiser to going straight down. That base on slik tripods comes off by loosening a set screw and screwing the base off. What is under that is almost a perfect match to the wiser base (see pic), and doesnt come into contact with the handle in any way.

Attachments

• IMG_3148.jpeg
    IMG_3148.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 135
OP
JakeSCH

JakeSCH

WKR
The wiser on a 634 for comparison - its lighter than my 624 with Outdoorsmans Pistol Grip by about 5-6 ounces. Put the wiser on the 624 and save about another 5 ounces. The handle folds between the tripod legs perfectly. Also on the wiser vs tricer video review, 1 of the cons of the wiser is the bounceback on the pan if the pan knob doesnt have any resistance on it. Wiser changed their sealings and there is no bounceback regardless of the tension on the pan knob. I think theyll even replace the old ones if you send it in to them.

Ive also seen a video review (backwoods pursuit) that lists a con of the wiser on a slik tripod. He says that the base on the slik tripod is too big and prevents the wiser to going straight down. That base on slik tripods comes off by loosening a set screw and screwing the base off. What is under that is almost a perfect match to the wiser base (see pic), and doesnt come into contact with the handle in any way.

If you switched to the tricer lp and bc tripod you could save another 6 oz's. I can't speak to wiser quality but definitely looks solid, but i have been very impressed with my tricer so far.

Great reason to keep supporting the US made and better quality manufacturers. I get everyone is trying to make a living, but the nighthawk was out well before this one and I feel like a Chinese knockoff of the wiser nighthawk is all it is. Appreciate your comparison between the two!

Yeah, for sure supporting US made is great. Problem is that our "better" manufacturing is a myth...it is par at best and we say it to make ourselves feel better. Now I have no doubt that the nighthawk is a solid product, but it costs ~60% more and weighs ~40% more for subjective comments about better quality.

Now I think it would be great to have @Formidilosus think of a panhead test to compare a bunch of them for solid objective results.

Last edited:
If you switched to the tricer lp and bc tripod you could save another 6 oz's. I can't speak to wiser quality but definitely looks solid, but i have been very impressed with my tricer so far.

Yeah, for sure supporting US made is great. Problem is that our "better" manufacturing is a myth...it is par at best and we say it to make ourselves feel better. Now I have no doubt that the nighthawk is a solid product, but it costs ~60% more and weighs ~40% more for subjective comments about better quality.

Now I think it would be great to have @Formidilosus think of a panhead test to compare a bunch of them for solid objective results.
And I have heard that in many instances. It’s a shame the quality Chinese stuff rarely makes it this way. Well maybe that is a good thing because it forces us to buy more US made products. But I agree China is capable of building some very high quality things.

I should have worded it that the nighthawk is better quality that we have access too, because we never get anything real good from China it seems. And the nighthawk can be configured down to .2oz heavier than the tricer so weight isn’t really an argument. Build quality is probably the only thing to compare between them.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider

Thank you for this info!!! I was so frustrated by that big flat at the top of the center post. I never even considered looking under the rubber for a way to remove it.
boom! fixed, and I got to remove an extra ounce as a bonus.
thanks.

IMG_5492.JPG

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
My Tricer LP and bino adapter showed up today, I knew it was small but still blown away by how small it was when it took it out of the box. I spent about 30 minutes glassing the field across the road with my binos and spotter to get a feel for it, it’s smoother than I was honestly expecting for something so small.

The integrated Arca plate on the bino adapter is awesome. Very happy with the pair.

IMG_0439.jpeg
IMG_0445.jpeg

How do these things compare to the outdoorsman micro and standard pan heads? That is all i've used for pan heads for a long time.

duckhunterrr

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for this info!!! I was so frustrated by that big flat at the top of the center post. I never even considered looking under the rubber for a way to remove it.
boom! fixed, and I got to remove an extra ounce as a bonus.
thanks.

View attachment 572540
How did you solve the problem of the center screw rattling or coming loose? Just plan on leaving wiser attached to tripod permanently?

cck

FNG
How did you solve the problem of the center screw rattling or coming loose? Just plan on leaving wiser attached to tripod permanently?
I did the same thing. I just used locktite blue to secure the center screw to the tripod itself. It’s seeming to stay plenty secure even after a few times taking the ph off for travel.