Tricer LP or MTN HNTR tripod head

ChrisAU

WKR
@ChrisAU , assuming that you got your $85 MTN HNTR Nano Pro. What do you think? Is it a good economical fluid head? Have you tested it with a spotter will it hold tilt when tightened/tensioned? I really don’t need a lightweight head but for that price it’s attractive. Thanks.

I’m happy with it. Could have had it cheaper but don’t have the cheaper ones here to compare. Here it is holding my heaviest spotter rock solid, 4lb 3 oz 85mm Athlon.

34CD1E6F-79D9-4D3F-8956-9CC24550A807.jpeg

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
@ChrisAU , thanks! That's assuring. Even though you paid a little more than what the Amazon ones cost, at least you can now always reach out to svmoose at MTN HNTR if needed.

sneek-ee

WKR
I guess that could have been taken that way. I should say that we made some specific changes to the samples we received and I don't know if our sample is a magicline. We adjusted the tension and knobs on our unit to stabilize larger optics. I believe the fluid cartridge was adjusted to accomodate my request. The result in our final production model was a smoother head, that does really well with heavy optics, and larger, oversize knobs for easier tension adjustment. We worked through each feature that I had on my list to make sure it was included in the head. We are currently working on a few more projects and toying around with a few other options that may be included in a gen 2 model sometime next year. Sorry I can't speak to the specifics. I just ordered both of those other heads so I can test them vs. ours and have a better answer on performance.

What's the max weight capacity you'd say? Didn't see one listed. I have an angled kowa 99. Would it stabilize it?

svmoose

FNG
What's the max weight capacity you'd say? Didn't see one listed. I have an angled kowa 99. Would it stabilize it?
We haven't published a weight capacity yet. We're still doing some testing. I think we'll land somewhere right around 6.8 lbs. I've been doing some testing shooting my rifle off of it. The rifle weighs 8 lbs 9 oz. Either way, it will handle the Kowa 99 just fine.

sneek-ee

WKR
We haven't published a weight capacity yet. We're still doing some testing. I think we'll land somewhere right around 6.8 lbs. I've been doing some testing shooting my rifle off of it. The rifle weighs 8 lbs 9 oz. Either way, it will handle the Kowa 99 just fine.

Thanks Brad, that's promising.

Did those other 2 that are similar show up and have you been able to test and compare the differences between them and yours? Just curious if you were able to figure internal or external differences?
Curious on differences and if/how much more stable yours is vs. the similar looking ones. Any input?

Thanks!

svmoose

FNG
Hey guys, first off, sorry for the slow reply. I've had a chance to test quite a few different heads, and I remembered that I needed to be accountable here for that. A few have asked about the Nano Pro head vs some of the other heads on the market. The Nano pro is different internally, and externally than any other head you can purchase online. We are using a bit stiffer fluid, that is more temperature stable and will continue to innovate on this end and push the envelope a little further in cold temperatures. We've added a new feature, an adjustable handle so you can customize the angle for your preference. We're keeping the handle short to save weight as I feel the length is just fine, the adjustment adds quite a bit to some users' experience though. We also back our products with an unlimited warranty for the first 2 years. This covers manufacturer defects, and we're extremely liberal on this warranty as want you to be very happy with your purchase.

This week we're getting the tripod in stock. I've been working on this product for quite a while. I wanted to build a stripped-down tripod that has everything you need for a stable platform, but at a weight that's significantly lower than what's on the market. We were able to create the MTN SS - I call it the short-stack tripod. My goal was to have the legs and the head be under 2 lbs, and it took some work, but got there. The tripod itself weighs 21 ounces and is incredibly stable. The biggest compromise we made was the overall collapsed height is not as short as some other tripods with a lot of leg sections - but there are advantages too. The leg sections are very strong and stable. We added a longer center column that allows for operation at up to 47 inches (without the head). I love this tripod and paired with the Nano Fluid Head, you're maintaining exceptional performance at an incredibly light weight.

We'll be at the Western Hunt Expo in Salt Lake City next week, and would love to chat gear if you're there!