Tricer LP or MTN HNTR tripod head

intunegp

WKR
My tripod came a day early so I'll give another initial update. Tripod is a Slik 634 in case anyone is wondering about that part.

Once attached to the tripod with binos on top, the tilt feels great. Even with my 45oz Maven B.5s mounted on a Tricer adapter, I'm able to tension it so that movement is smooth and easy but everything stays put when I let go. The pan is still stiffer than I'd prefer, but maybe it will break in some and get smoother. I tightened everything down pretty firmly and while not enough to unscrew the head, panning is stiff enough that it can cause me to "jump" at times rather than being a smooth, fluid motion. Again, hoping that with time I'll get used to the head and it will break in enough that this isn't an issue. The tilt has enough range that with the tripod completely folded I'm able to tilt the head so that the handle lays down flush between two legs.

For now I'm satisfied enough to keep the head and continue playing with it for scouting and the upcoming hunting season. I'm a bit worried about the above comments about the SmallRig freezing up, so it might spend a night in the freezer one day soon to make sure things will still function in freezing conditions.

JakeSCH

WKR
The pan is still stiffer than I'd prefer, but maybe it will break in some and get smoother. I tightened everything down pretty firmly and while not enough to unscrew the head, panning is stiff enough that it can cause me to "jump" at times rather than being a smooth, fluid motion.
Interesting. Did you loosen the pan screw or tighten it? I would loosen it way up. Mine pans smoothly, I just use the bridge of my nose to pan and it stops immediately when i stop with no back adjustments like others i've tested.

intunegp

WKR
Interesting. Did you loosen the pan screw or tighten it? I would loosen it way up. Mine pans smoothly, I just use the bridge of my nose to pan and it stops immediately when i stop with no back adjustments like others i've tested.

The pan screw is not adding any tension. It seems to be loosening up a little the more I play with it but it definitely wouldn't be comfortable to pan with the bridge of my nose.

tracker12

WKR
Just got my Tricer last week and tested it in the field yesterday. It really is surprisingly smooth and efficient for a non-fluid head, and I'm really starting to be weight-conscious with gear upgrades so this one checks all the boxes. Only gripe, and it's a minor one, is I wish the handle nested down more vertically for storing. Very happy with it overall though and plan to have it in my pack for a long time.
I thought he Tricer was a Fluid head?

intunegp

WKR
Hey guys, this is Brad Carter. I own MTN HNTR. The Nano Pro is not a rebranded small-rig. I know they are similar sized, but there are quite a few differences if you look closely. The profile is quite different, shorter handle, etc. I actually didn't know about the small rig until the final stages of development of the Nano Pro. I wish I could say that I have many years of durability testing on the Nano Pro, but we go prototypes in last fall and have been testing them extensively. We made some upgrades to the final version - like larger aluminum handles, and a shortened metal handle with rubber molding. Pre-orders were shipped last weekend, and we got through them all on Monday.

Our goal was to build a fluid head that was more compact and lighter that wouldn't compromise function vs. other heads on the market. I wanted top loading functionality and arca-swiss mounting. I think we accomplished that and were still able to maintain a really nice price point. I get that you can pickup the small rig for $50 and I need to order one to do a real side by side comparison with our new fluid head. It's also no the lightest tripod head on the market, but I believe it is the lightest fluid head. In its lightest configuration (no handle or QR plate) it weighs in a right under 7 ounces, but I've tested it with large spotters like the Swarovski BTX with 115 objective.

I just thought I would jump on and let you know a little more about it. Feel free to ask any questions. Brusso, I didn't see your email. Anyone can shoot me an email as that's the best way to get ahold of me [email protected].

Any comment on your head being identical to the Raubay and MagicLine Amazon heads linked above?

Saying things like "final stages of development", "we made upgrades to the final version", and "our goal was to build a...." give the impression that you designed something from scratch when currently it kind of seems like a chinese factory rebranded their product for you. To be fair, they both only have reviews dating back to late 2022, so I'm open to the idea that whoever you're using in China is also selling YOUR design to other companies.

I'm not trying to bash you here, but as someone who bought the MTN HNTR only to find seemingly identical counterparts on Amazon for significantly cheaper, I'd like to know exactly what I have. Currently it is hard to fight the feeling that I got got, and if I knew I could return the MTN HNTR I'd probably buy a MagicLine while it's still Prime Day. If that's not an option I'll just keep it as a reminder to research a product more before I impulsively pull the trigger.

svivian

WKR
Any comment on your head being identical to the Raubay and MagicLine Amazon heads linked above?

Saying things like "final stages of development", "we made upgrades to the final version", and "our goal was to build a...." give the impression that you designed something from scratch when currently it kind of seems like a chinese factory rebranded their product for you. To be fair, they both only have reviews dating back to late 2022, so I'm open to the idea that whoever you're using in China is also selling YOUR design to other companies.

I'm not trying to bash you here, but as someone who bought the MTN HNTR only to find seemingly identical counterparts on Amazon for significantly cheaper, I'd like to know exactly what I have. Currently it is hard to fight the feeling that I got got, and if I knew I could return the MTN HNTR I'd probably buy a MagicLine while it's still Prime Day. If that's not an option I'll just keep it as a reminder to research a product more before I impulsively pull the trigger.
I have a feeling this is no different than when Akek first came out with packs.... Alibaba carries so much stuff that can easily be rebranded

svmoose

FNG

I'm happy to speak to that, and provide some information about the process and how this head came together. I've ran a retail shop for the past 7 years, and hand pick and test the gear that we sell. I prefer fluid heads and was a put off by the weight and felt like it might be possible to build a head that was lighter. We made drawing, and researched heads and the features that I felt were essential for a tripod head. I started doing research on manufacturers who could help us build a head, and finding people who had a better understanding of how to build a tripod head.
I found several oversees manufacturers and started talking with them about the features I wanted and if it would be possible. Our manufacturer mentioned that they could build what we were looking for and put together a sample. This sample was shipped to us last year, and we tested it. This was exactly what we were looking for. We made a couple more tweaks on the fluid mechanism, knobs, and aesthetics and had our production put together.
I was really unaware of the Raubay heads - I'm not sure what came first honestly, but I do know that our head, although it has a nearly identical form factor has some unique features that we requested that makes our head different. The response and demand has honestly been much higher than I anticipated. We are also working on about 6 more products to bring to market this year. These ideas start as either a concept, or a list of essential features that we would like to see on an existing product that people are already using. Finding the right partners to help us learn about building the product is the next step and a lot of times, manufactureres who are producing similar products are an incredible resource to learn more, and create partnerships to get these products to market.
I totally understand how you're feeling about the tripod head. If you feel shortchanged because it closely resembles a cheaper head on amazon, I'm happy to accept a return of your product. Ultimately, I do sincerely appreciate your support and the support of everyone who has purchased this product and am excited about some of the other new products that we will be releasing over the next year that I feel will be valuable to hunters who value purpose built gear made specifically for hunters and the unique and specialized needs of hunters. Feel free to reach to me with any questions - [email protected]

svmoose

FNG
One more thing...It's easy to look at specific parts of these products and I think it's important to realize that many big manufacturers are already making parts and have dialed in a lot of pieces and know what works. We selected several options to build this head vs. other options that were available. For example, the manufacturer gave several options in alot of places to look at and consider - like the knurled knobs, round vs other shapes, metal vs plastic, handle length and composition, rubberized vs non, etc. We made a few additional requests and changes from our original sample. We are currently developing additional changes and will likely release a gen2 of this product, althought I don't know the timing exactly as the development and timing takes some time. It could be quick if the first concepts work like they hope, or it could be longer based on testing.

In the spirit of transparency, my list was as follows on what this head needed to be:

Save Weight - Obvious places to do this are in a shorter handle, less fluid, smaller body, which means a few things - less adjustability, smaller max load capacity, you have to give up a few features to save weight.
Arca-Swiss Compatibility
Top Loading Ability - For shooting
Plate tightening without a screw or bolt directly touching the plate
Round knob to tighten that won't be obstructed
Sturdy knobs that can be adjusted in case of obstruction from tripod or optics adapters or pieces
Fluid tilt was a must
Horizontal and Vertical knobs to control pan and tilt seperately
Ability to support a hunting rifle and larger optics
Compact

intunegp

WKR
I'm happy to speak to that, and provide some information about the process and how this head came together. I've ran a retail shop for the past 7 years, and hand pick and test the gear that we sell. I prefer fluid heads and was a put off by the weight and felt like it might be possible to build a head that was lighter. We made drawing, and researched heads and the features that I felt were essential for a tripod head. I started doing research on manufacturers who could help us build a head, and finding people who had a better understanding of how to build a tripod head.
I found several oversees manufacturers and started talking with them about the features I wanted and if it would be possible. Our manufacturer mentioned that they could build what we were looking for and put together a sample. This sample was shipped to us last year, and we tested it. This was exactly what we were looking for. We made a couple more tweaks on the fluid mechanism, knobs, and aesthetics and had our production put together.
I was really unaware of the Raubay heads - I'm not sure what came first honestly, but I do know that our head, although it has a nearly identical form factor has some unique features that we requested that makes our head different. The response and demand has honestly been much higher than I anticipated. We are also working on about 6 more products to bring to market this year. These ideas start as either a concept, or a list of essential features that we would like to see on an existing product that people are already using. Finding the right partners to help us learn about building the product is the next step and a lot of times, manufactureres who are producing similar products are an incredible resource to learn more, and create partnerships to get these products to market.
I totally understand how you're feeling about the tripod head. If you feel shortchanged because it closely resembles a cheaper head on amazon, I'm happy to accept a return of your product. Ultimately, I do sincerely appreciate your support and the support of everyone who has purchased this product and am excited about some of the other new products that we will be releasing over the next year that I feel will be valuable to hunters who value purpose built gear made specifically for hunters and the unique and specialized needs of hunters. Feel free to reach to me with any questions - [email protected]

Can you give some examples of these unique features?

svmoose

FNG
Can you give some examples of these unique features?
I think you're wanting to know the diference between the nano pro and the others, and I honestly coudn't tell you exactly what the differences are because we didn't start with a base model. I gave them a list of what I wanted to see in a tripod head and they produced a product for us. We went through a few iterations of changes.

I was really unaware of the Raubay heads - I'm not sure what came first honestly, but I do know that our head, although it has a nearly identical form factor has some unique features that we requested that makes our head different.

I think you're wanting to know the diference between the nano pro and the others, and I honestly coudn't tell you exactly what the differences are because we didn't start with a base model.

These are conflicting statements, no? In one post you state that you do know that your Nano Pro head some unique features that make it different than the rest of the heads, but in a following post state that you don't know actually know what those features are?

I have one of the MagicLine heads and I'm not crazy about it, I'd love to know if there truly is anything unique about your head that makes it different - any specific details you can share would be much appreciated!

svmoose

FNG
These are conflicting statements, no? In one post you state that you do know that your Nano Pro head some unique features that make it different than the rest of the heads, but in a following post state that you don't know actually know what those features are?

I have one of the MagicLine heads and I'm not crazy about it, I'd love to know if there truly is anything unique about your head that makes it different - any specific details you can share would be much appreciated!
I guess that could have been taken that way. I should say that we made some specific changes to the samples we received and I don't know if our sample is a magicline. We adjusted the tension and knobs on our unit to stabilize larger optics. I believe the fluid cartridge was adjusted to accomodate my request. The result in our final production model was a smoother head, that does really well with heavy optics, and larger, oversize knobs for easier tension adjustment. We worked through each feature that I had on my list to make sure it was included in the head. We are currently working on a few more projects and toying around with a few other options that may be included in a gen 2 model sometime next year. Sorry I can't speak to the specifics. I just ordered both of those other heads so I can test them vs. ours and have a better answer on performance.

For what it's worth, I bought a Mtn Hntr head a few weeks ago and tried it out on a scouting trip last week with 15x binos and my spotter (both a 55x and 77x kowa). I loved the head, and plan on buying another, selling my Outdoorsman heads and switching over to this for both of my tripods. I also preferred it to the Sirui head I have used on a larger tripod.

sr80

WKR
I never liked the small `arca` clamp on the small rig heads. So i did some hacking and modified mine and installed actual acra swiss tops. Now mine actually looks different than the amazon knock offs that are floating around everywhere it seems. IMG_1646.jpg

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Well I have a Wiser which I came in here to recommend, but I left $85 poorer. Gonna try that Fluid head out for that price.
@ChrisAU , assuming that you got your $85 MTN HNTR Nano Pro. What do you think? Is it a good economical fluid head? Have you tested it with a spotter will it hold tilt when tightened/tensioned? I really don’t need a lightweight head but for that price it’s attractive. Thanks.