Triathlon/Marathon/Endurance Sports Thread

1jeds

FNG
To update on my post in this thread back in March:

100K (6,800 ft. vert) in April - Completed (8th overall)
50 miler (11,400 ft. vert) in June - Completed (4th overall)
100 miler (21,100 ft. vert) in July - Completed (11th overall and my first 100 miler)

Now I just have the Rut 50K next weekend that I'm going to take leisurely. I've heard good things about the event and signed up as a "fun" race. I'm in full on hunt prep and that's where my head is at right now. Luckily after The Rut I'll be moving on to the actual elk rut with a week of archery in MT.

P Carter

WKR
^Incredible, great work, what a year! Kudos on not getting injured with that workload.

Last edited:

mtbraun

FNG

100 miler (21,100 ft. vert) in July - Completed (11th overall and my first 100 miler)

Now I just have the Rut 50K next weekend that I'm going to take leisurely. I've heard good things about the event and signed up as a "fun" race. I'm in full on hunt prep and that's where my head is at right now. Luckily after The Rut I'll be moving on to the actual elk rut with a week of archery in MT.
Nice work! would you mind sharing what 50 and 100 milers you did? I'm always looking for new races. Take care!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats on all your races!

The Rut Run for a 50k is a grind for sure. With hunting season so close, take care on the backside of Lone Peak; would be easy to twist an ankle in all the scree heading down. Just what a guy wouldn’t want this time of year :D

Lone Peak 2015

9Q1oce9.jpg

1jeds

FNG
Nice work! would you mind sharing what 50 and 100 milers you did? I'm always looking for new races. Take care!

For sure - I did Squaw Peak 50 (now named Snow Peaks 50) in Provo, it has been around for a while and is low key but has a pretty decent turnout. The 100 was Crazy Mountain 100 in Montana - it is relatively newer but has gained in popularity very quickly, and for good reason. I really enjoyed everything about it. Registration for next year's race opens 12/15 and I would expect it to fill up within 24 hours or so.

The Rut Run for a 50k is a grind for sure. With hunting season so close, take care on the backside of Lone Peak; would be easy to twist an ankle in all the scree heading down. Just what a guy wouldn’t want this time of year :D

Lone Peak 2015

9Q1oce9.jpg

That is 100% my goal, to not get injured doing something stupid during the race. That's a really cool picture, I'm looking forward to the grind of Lone Peak

With that kind of work load, what’s your training look like leading into those races? And what’s your recovery time look like before you start gearing up for the next one? Very impressive and good luck in The Rut and during the actual rut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O
I have a half marathon in two weeks and just signed up for the Salem Half Ironman 70.3. Once hunting season is over, I'll be spending a LOT of time in the pool and on the bike.

Wanting to sign up for a 100mi bike event in the spring to make sure I'm prepared for the half IM.

1jeds

FNG
With that kind of work load, what’s your training look like leading into those races? And what’s your recovery time look like before you start gearing up for the next one? Very impressive and good luck in The Rut and during the actual rut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at this entire year, my average running time per week is over 11 hours. 16.5 hours on average including any other gym work, biking, hiking, etc.

For the 100 miler I had peaks of an 18 hour running week followed by a big "training camp" style week at 21 hours (112 miles and 27k ft. vert). I eat a lot and try to take my sleep seriously. The 50 miler I treated as a large training run and didn't push myself into the well, so that was easier to recover from.

I do think there is carryover to being in the mountains hunting. Not just physically, but mentally pushing through difficult training weeks and races. Add some strength/pack specific work and it goes a long way.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
For those who struggle to run or want to get better at running faster/longer distances, Google: run slow to run faster, or 80/20 training.

That training theory blew my mind and I've never enjoyed running as much as I do now.

Before this research; every run I pushed as hard as I can for as long as I can. I was always getting injured, super sore all the time and dreaded my run days.

The general idea is that 80% of your running should be at a very slow, like VERY slow pace and keeping your heart rate under a certain level. This allows the body to build up your aerobic system, tolerance and adapt to longer runs while not beating up your body. It took me a while to get used to the slow pace and I thought for sure I'd be running slower, but sure enough, my pace runs are faster than what I was doing before this training.

*One thing of note, the other 20% needs to be HARD HARD to keep up the anaerobic system in check.
20% being a hard push is probably too much. I believe most olympic sprinters push hard for less than 5% of their training time. It will vary by person and fitness level. Look into Evoc Endurance, Uphill Athlete, and the Uphill Athlete books.

Not saying you should change your training plan today, just giving things to consider.

Last summer I ran a couple 50K distances for training and focused heavily on running, I suffered under a pack for it. This year I did more rucking with some heavy rucks (such as 110 lbs for 1200 feet elevation gain) and kept all running in zone 2 and 3; I felt better than ever in the mountains (though I also changed my nutrition strategy, so cannot put all of that down to how I trained).

Good luck. Stay ready.

Truck24hr

Lil-Rokslider
I've been tossing around the idea of entering a 55k here at home. It's Nov 1st, and on a trail I know very well, but prime whitetail time.

Not sure if I will or not. I do hikes on this section pretty regular during the cooler months, finishing in the 11-12 hour mark.

Just started this about a year ago. All of my runs besides a few 5-8 mile trails have been flat ground work.

Cut off time is 10 hours. I'm pretty confident I could handle it. We'll see, it's very new and not looking like it'll fill up

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been trying to do a 50 mile ruck event in my area for a couple of years but keep having life get in the way but I’m going for it again next year.

Whoa, more than impressive progress. Best of luck this season!

1jeds

FNG

Lone Peak 2015

9Q1oce9.jpg

I came out unscathed today fortunately! I came in to the weekend with fatigue and nasal issues, I think I was catching a cold or bug. The plan was to wake up this morning to see how I was feeling, and take it easy and have fun out there (mission accomplished).

Those climbs were steeeeep! 31 miles with 10K ft. vert, definitely challenging but rewarding. I'd recommend it to anyone, the only unfortunate thing is that it is smack dab in the middle of September.

I took this coming down from Lone Peak:

IMG_1877.jpg

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I came out unscathed today fortunately! I came in to the weekend with fatigue and nasal issues, I think I was catching a cold or bug. The plan was to wake up this morning to see how I was feeling, and take it easy and have fun out there (mission accomplished).

Those climbs were steeeeep! 31 miles with 10K ft. vert, definitely challenging but rewarding. I'd recommend it to anyone, the only unfortunate thing is that it is smack dab in the middle of September.

View attachment 764700

What a cool race! I have looked Into it a bit, did you get the tattoo??

mtbraun

FNG

View attachment 764700

Looks awesome. Nice work!