Triathlon/Marathon/Endurance Sports Thread

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm signed up for the 50k this year, looking forward to it. Another tough one is Speedgoat 50K here in UT at Snowbird - it has ~1k more vert than the Rut, but not sure how the terrain compares.

you'll "like" it :D

I had Speedgoat on my list, but never made it sadly (or maybe not sadly :D). Another one on my list that was never completed was one my buddy had done, the Volcanic 50k- circumnavigates around Mt St Helens crossing a couple of major drainages, some rock scrambling, etc.. He said some of it looked like moonscape where the volcano blew, but other parts perfectly intact Pacific rainforest- lots of contrast in the 30+ miles.

P Carter

WKR
I signed up for my first 50 miler. 50 miles + 11,000k elevation gain. Pretty nervous! I did 40 miles with around that elevation gain, but a number of years ago. Trainings going well so far, we’ll see how it goes! At the very least I’ll get a good number of miles under my feet during the spring and early summer…

schmalzy

WKR
Anyone signed up for the Methodist Mountain 50k in Salida in June?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O
Did my first Oly Tri this past weekend. Felt great (pretty gassed right after though) and loved the dedication needed to train properly. Now looking to do a 100mi bike ride and possibly a half-iron next year depending on if I can get my knee to where it needs to be. Really hoping I see a difference in my ability in the mountains this year with an Idaho archery elk and difficult deer tag in my pocket. Planning on a ton of elevation gain over those two hunts.

Hope everyone's races for the year have been going well!

cs1

FNG
Nothing works better than having an event on the calendar. My wife and I are signed up for a trail 25k in September. I’ve done six marathons, three 50k’s and one 100m in the past but covid shutting everything down and family matters have really put a damper on our running the past four years. We had to get off our butts and a 25k is perfect for that. I’ve been at IPA weight for way too long.

I ran the Big Horn 50k in 2018 (i would say it was the mud year, but that race is always a mudfest). That has to be the most beautiful country one could run in.

P Carter

WKR
Thanks for bringing the thread to the top.

My planned 50m was a no-go due to family obligations. Planned a diy 50 miler on the next weekend, but the area caught on fire so I had to cancel. Decided I had to do *something*, so I played hooky from work for a day and did the so-called Boise Grand Slam in a day. 4 peaks in the Boise area that folks mostly hike in the spring to get ready for the summer. 37ish miles, just under 11,000 feet of elevation gain. Took me just under 11 hours. I was lucky to have access to the truck between peaks - high was 102 for the day, so even starting at 3:00 am the last two peaks were toasty.

Everything worked great. Leaned on teddy grahams and tailwind. Took the last peak very slow so as not to frickin pass out and die in the heat. (No one else was out there mid afternoon!)

No ill effects other than I’ll probably lose a toenail. My extreme heat techniques worked great (white sun sleeves, ice in sun sleeves, ice in hat, towel off in cooler of ice at the truck, tons of tailwind and nuun).

Was sore for a day but back to running 2 days later. I think this was partly due to the heat - I kept the effort level very under control so as not to overheat; that means I didn’t really have the chance to overdo it on the muscles.

Definitely a route to do in the spring, not summer, but glad to have done it. Now time to work in some weighted pack hikes to specialize for September.

If anyone in Boise ever wants to do this route, or even 2 or 3 peaks, let me know. Would be a great goal for April or may.