Trekking Poles

What kind of trekking poles does everyone use? I noticed some Easton Compact 5 poles 50% off the other day on camofire. Anyone use them before?

ahlgringo

WKR
I run these same ones- like them- twist locks are ez and quiet. Only thing i font really like is the wrist straps- but ez enough mod. They are light.

ahlgringo

WKR
Sorry misread your post- i run the carbon 3's. I know these were also on camofire a while ago.

I've been using the Komperdell Carbon Vario 4's the past couple season's and they've been great. I'm amazed at how tough they are, even being so light. I've thrashed them around pretty good in the mountains on rocky stuff and they're still going strong. They'll be with me again here soon in the mountains, so I hope I'm singing praises after the trips over.

Infidel

FNG
Trialed the Leki Micro Varios this last week on a scout trip. Very pleased with them. However before that I was using a classic scout stick

I have some Easton carbons with flip locks that I picked up on sale five years ago that are still going strong. A lot tougher than I thought they would be.

tttoadman

WKR
How useful are the ones with carbide tips vs the ones that only have the round rubber pads?

The rubber pads will be gone in 10 minutes anyway. The carbide tips will bite on anything. This is really handy when making a creek crossing with your boots off. The last place you can afford to have a pole slip.

Thanks tttoadman. I had bought a pair of Komperdell's from REI and then picked up a pair of Easton's (lighter by 3oz) on Camofire but I think those will go back as the only have the rubber.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork here. I have always used cork handles they seem to have better grip and don't get slippery in the rain or from sweat.

Trekking poles are mandatory for me. I run the Black diamond trail pro shock. I actually almost always try to have the rubber feet on unless I'm in ice where I need some extra bite. The carbide tip makes a bit of a click. The rubber foot is fairly silent, and lasts for years and years...

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never leave home without my Carbon ultra distance black diamond zpoles....in my pack for the way out or long climbs until the snow comes in

Kotaman

WKR
I've run the Black Diamond Alpine Corks for years, but just recently picked up a set of the Black Diamond Carbon Ultra Distance ZPoles. The Z Poles are incredibly light and fit anywhere. The only downside to the Zpoles is that they aren't adjustable length wise. Lots of great choices in poles. I would avoid anything with a "twist" lock.

Hunter6

WKR
I bought the Easton compact carbon poles off camofire a couple weeks ago. My first tracking poles. Used them on a few scouting trips so far. I'm a believer they are a great asset off trail and in technical terrain especially. Would defiantly recommend.