Trekking Poles for idiots....

barkdevi

FNG
Is it just me or am I the only one who feels like a complete idiot training with trekking poles? I'm a pretty athletic guy and coordinated. But I find myself tripping over these damn things, missing steps, screwing up my cadence etc...

My buddy and I are getting ready for separate hunts...he to Alaska...me to chase elk in New Mexico. Our workouts vary as he is a crossfit fiend and I am a gym goer. However, we try to mix in some pack training a couple of times a week together. Unfortunately we are flatlanders with elevation hovering around 300ft. What we lack in elevation we make up for in temperature and humidity. The Texas summers here can be unforgiving. This morning it was 84 degrees and 90% humidity at 6 am...but I digress.

Our pack training currently consists of the local high school stadium. We go up and down each set of stairs and throw in an extra lap or two for good measure. Typical distance is about 1.75-2 miles covered with around 80lbs on our backs.

We both are trying to make ourselves LEARN to use our trekking poles. They are so damn akward! We are like two monkeys F'ing a football with these things. I sure hope they pay off in the long run though.

On a serious note, I believe our cadence is much faster than a hunting situation will be and don't think we will have problems with using them. However, stadium stairs make for an awkward hike with trekking poles....
Dont feel awkward at all those things are life
Savers sometimes! I like to use them with a heavy load.

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
Like most things it feels akward at first. I'd say stick with it, and they will feel better on real dirt as opposed to stairs. I didnt care for them at first but now am a big fan for most situations