New Argali Trekking Poles ***Update 1/18/23***

Thought long and hard about cork, and we may do it at some point, but in using and testing we didn't have anyone that preferred cork over the foam and all it seemed like it would do is increase price without a lot of added benefit. I have used cork for a long time and thought I liked it better than foam, but after using both I personally found foam to be just as good so long as the foam was of a high quality.
Thanks for the response. I have used cork as long as I can remember but last season I tired the peax with foam handles and hated them so that's why I asked. I'm one of those guys that never carries a tripod and just glass off a trekking pole so with the accessories you guys are offering i think you hit a homerun (minus the foam handle :ROFLMAO:)

OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the response. I have used cork as long as I can remember but last season I tired the peax with foam handles and hated them so that's why I asked. I'm one of those guys that never carries a tripod and just glass off a trekking pole so with the accessories you guys are offering i think you hit a homerun (minus the foam handle :ROFLMAO:)
Well, I appreciate that and can understand the foam v cork issue. Having been a cork guy for years I really do like our foam, for what it's worth. But I hear you!

TheHammer

WKR
Seems these are a hot item! Seen several positive reviews! Any idea of restock? Was looking at a couple other things to order at the same time. Thanks!

svivian

WKR
I actually forgot i had a chance to play with these at the Hunt Expo. I was very impressed with how rigid it was setup for both poles connected. I could easily see my self using this in a 6' tipi.

OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seems these are a hot item! Seen several positive reviews! Any idea of restock? Was looking at a couple other things to order at the same time. Thanks!
the pre-sale just ended, but we'll have product in stock and available for everyone that didn't get in on the pre-sale in late April or early May.

the pre-sale just ended, but we'll have product in stock and available for everyone that didn't get in on the pre-sale in late April or early May.
So many comments on the durability of collapsible trekking poles... How would you compare these to a fixed pole?

OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So many comments on the durability of collapsible trekking poles... How would you compare these to a fixed pole?
Not sure what the comments on durability for collapsible poles are, but we built our poles with carbon tubing walls on our Carbon X poles that are thicker than Burley. All other poles and our aluminum poles use 7075 aluminum so they are engineered to be burley. Also, there's a huge difference in strength with telescoping vs collapsible style trekking poles.

Not sure what the comments on durability for collapsible poles are, but we built our poles with carbon tubing walls on our Carbon X poles that are thicker than Burley. All other poles and our aluminum poles use 7075 aluminum so they are engineered to be burley. Also, there's a huge difference in strength with telescoping vs collapsible style trekking poles.
Right nobody's doubting the strength of your carbon or aluminum... How would you rate your poles at the weak points, like the ideal would be that the telescoping would be designed to be as strong as a straight pole with no collapsibility, or telescoping... It seems so many rely on the same type connection points that have been known to fail... I think it's ripe for an engineering solution. 🤷‍♀️. How did you guys do testing? Would you say your connection points are on par or better than competitors? (Just trying to see if this is a me-too product, or some real innovation that put you above the competition).

Well dang! Looks like my wife or I need a new set of poles 😉

I would say she could have my current ones and I could get these, but she’s going to like the accessories option… I’ll just get them for her and then guilt trip her to convince her I need a set too… or I could break one of mine🤔

Looks about perfect to me, and I dig the accessory option, especially for calling cats, a mono pod is perfect, and I assume not carry poles and a shooting monopod… I also do a lot of glassing off of poles between vantage points or archery elk hunting when carrying a tripod doesn’t make sense

OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well dang! Looks like my wife or I need a new set of poles 😉

I would say she could have my current ones and I could get these, but she’s going to like the accessories option… I’ll just get them for her and then guilt trip her to convince her I need a set too… or I could break one of mine🤔

Looks about perfect to me, and I dig the accessory option, especially for calling cats, a mono pod is perfect, and I assume not carry poles and a shooting monopod… I also do a lot of glassing off of poles between vantage points or archery elk hunting when carrying a tripod doesn’t make sense
They make the perfect "gift" for your spouse. ;)

OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Right nobody's doubting the strength of your carbon or aluminum... How would you rate your poles at the weak points, like the ideal would be that the telescoping would be designed to be as strong as a straight pole with no collapsibility, or telescoping... It seems so many rely on the same type connection points that have been known to fail... I think it's ripe for an engineering solution. 🤷‍♀️. How did you guys do testing? Would you say your connection points are on par or better than competitors? (Just trying to see if this is a me-too product, or some real innovation that put you above the competition).
Here's my long answer...

A telescoping pole should be stonger than a single piece carbon pole because where the poles slide in/out from each other you have app. double the carbon tubing thickness, making it harder to bend the pole at the overlapping point. And not all carbon fiber poles are created equally. I can't speak to how thick/thin other companies make their carbon fiber tubing, but the options for how they are engineered are vast, and there are two different ways carbon fiber can be made into a "roll" that have significant impacts on the amount of torsional force, i.e. flex, that it can withstand. We use a roll-wrapped process, which allows for a lot more flex, but if you get a "pultrusion" carbon tubing in a pole, they will break a lot easier (i.e. cheap carbon fiber costco poles) as this type of carbon tubing cannot withstand as much flex. No way to know as a consumer other than to ask the manufacturer. And the variation on carbon tubing quality is signficant when you compare a very cheap carbon pole to something like our poles.

So, the strength starts with the carbon fiber itself, the way it is manufactured, and the carbon tubing thickness. Our poles are different in that we designed the pole sections to withstand a lot of force for when you are packing out a heavy load by making them thicker, using a very high quality fiber, and a roll-wrapped process. Most companies are not anticipating their customers putting 100+ pound on their backs and expecting or needing a trekking pole that strong. Second, our SnapLocks, or where the carbon fiber sections overlap, have a fair amount of overlap in the pole sections, and as long as you don't go beyond the orange "STOP" when extending the legs, they have a lot of strength built in. The way a telescoping style pole can become compromised is if you over tighten the locking mechanism, which can collapse the carbon fiber tube. So as long as you don't over tighten (this is fairly easy to avoid), there isn't a downside to a telescoping pole from a strenght persepective.

We did a lot of testing with both our poles, both in the lab and in the field. IMO, you have to do both. Not sure what to say other than we spent 2 years testing and refining the product to get it to where it is today.

To your last question on whether or not this is a "me to" product. I would stack our poles up against any other brand in terms of strength and quality as a stand alone set of trekking poles, but the real innovation for us is in the grip and attachments. Hope that helps.

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
For those of us who pre-ordered, any idea how much longer til our poles get shipped? Will we see them in time for spring bear season!? Excited to get my hands on them...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Brad@Argali

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For those of us who pre-ordered, any idea how much longer til our poles get shipped? Will we see them in time for spring bear season!? Excited to get my hands on them...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
They are en route as we speak. All pre-orders should arrive and be shipped out early next week.