Travis Bertrand's (Drhorsepower) semi-live hunt in Arizona

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better late than never is my motto, I have a strong urge to thread jack so I thought I would start my own thread.

I am down here near the border of old Mexico. This is day 3 for me. I have to be back to work on the 21st.

I brought my travel trailer down here and parked it at an rv park because the wife and kids along with my mother and her boyfriend wanted to come to check out historical sites and do some metal detecting and prospecting my hunts will be based out of that every day. I am going to try to do a few overnight trips though. Any hunting is better than no hunting so I will take it with a grin on my face.

I am down here not looking for a monster although that would be nice. I'm looking for a respectable mule deer or almost any coues deer(bucket list). I also have a javelina tag burning a hole in my pack.

So far I have only seen a few does of both species, I've been mainly hunting the flats though which you can't really glass for obvious reasons. I have seen a few illegals too!

Stay tuned! Right now I'm waiting for a little light at my glassing spot

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck Travis! It's blowing some serious gusts where I'm at.

Same here brother.

All the deer I've seen are already bedded down. Saw them at first light and had about 5 minutes. The sun hasn't crested and all activity has stopped.

Slim Jim

WKR
All the deer I've seen are already bedded down. Saw them at first light and had about 5 minutes. The sun hasn't crested and all activity has stopped.

It's gotta be the winds today. Haven't seen anything but a skittish lone doe early and bedded right as sun crested ridge. I was hoping that there was a buck with her but no such luck.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Found this buck, around 18" 4x4.

81864828-EA0F-44DE-AC02-34CD310E8990-158-00000005A29D992F.jpg

FD47DB7D-07B7-4753-A925-AE1A79F68FBC-158-0000000599FDE0A7.jpg

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
No other notable deer tonight. I did see some pretty coyotes. Really light colored.

Here's a pic.

7863FF69-180C-4466-A92E-3A9DA08670BF-158-000000610CC9E375.jpg

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hiked about an hour into a spot this morning trying to conserve water as I expect to be here all day, I pulled a few sips when I reached the top of the mountain and my tube went dry. I thought, that's weird, I must have a link in the hose. I take my pack off and reach into my pack to unkink the hose and my bladder is dry;( I filled it up last night, I guess the pressure in my pack squeezed it out over night!

Note to self- buy a lock valve

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
ehave7y7.jpg

Here is my view

One of the best purchases I have made this year is a tripod adapter. It's amazing how much more you will confidently look through your binos with them. I have them on a pair of zen-ray 10x43 ed3's and I can only imagine setting up a tripod with a set of 15x56s. I can see why Arizona hunters have them.
huga5eba.jpg

Mckinnon

WKR
I have been looking into a tripod adapter, thanks for the info Travis. Did you get any more water?

Craig4791

WKR
Yep putting your binos on a tripod is a huge advantage! I am saving for a pair if 15X56's for desert hunting.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck Travis!!! I'm surprised you haven't seen any javelina yet an connected with one even though I'm sure deer is the main focus with your hunt

I'm surprised at lack of game in general I've been seeing!

On bright side I just glassed up a few bedded does, can't find a buck with them yet....