Trapping coyotes... any suggestions

OP
Rocking_OX
Same morning both came out of the same head.

Attachments

• IMG_6607.jpeg
    IMG_6607.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 22
Old trapper on the Ranch I hunted destroyed coyotes with snares on fences. Catching two to three at the same snare point. Pack mates will come looking for one another. He would never get out of his golf cart to minimize scent. Caught like 50 plus in about two to three months. Then he would move to the next ranch.

OP
Rocking_OX
Old trapper on the Ranch I hunted destroyed coyotes with snares on fences. Catching two to three at the same snare point. Pack mates will come looking for one another. He would never get out of his golf cart to minimize scent. Caught like 50 plus in about two to three months. Then he would move to the next ranch.
I have met a guy running snares as well but on an exotic game ranch with bull panel fence. He has great luck setting on dig outs. We have 5 stand so it's a bit more difficult to pin point them.

In person instruction is worth every penny.
Mark Zagger, Matt Jones and Craig O’Gorman all have top notch programs.

Huggybear

FNG
What area are you from?

Any tips on setting in sandy loam soil, medium to high moisture. Our property consists of oak heads and improved pasture. Thick palmetto clumps and a few cypress heads. All 5 strand wire, so, no visual dig outs under fence, just occasional tracks in known deer trails.
wax dirt and pan cover for sandy soils.

204_ruger

FNG
Look up Ed Schneider Kansas Trapline . Jeff Dunlap. And management advantage show that has Robert Waddell on it. That guy is a coyote catching machine. 920 + coyotes in one season. I trap a 5000 acre hunting club. I took 53 coyotes off it. I run alot of flat sets. The other sets I run are dirt hole and a pipe set. I have alot of different brand traps. But ones I run are fully modified traps . And they all are offset.
Bridger 2 & 3 dogless
Duke 2 dogless
Duke 550's
MB 550'S and 650's
Duke 3.

Snares have a higher chance of catching deer, especially fawns, this time of year.

No need for waxed dirt if you don't have freezing conditions. If you worry about clay/ mud 4 coils will suffice, but may be more than needed.

MB550, great coyote trap. I like offset jaws. 3 swivels per trap. Pipe insulation cut octagonal works great under pans. FYI, 4 coils with offsets will hold lions. Anchor deep enough to hold (I like wolf fangs) or cross stake rebar (24" minimum). WELD ALL J HOOKS CLOSED!

Don't use urine on sets if you want to avoid deer around the set.

Lots of droppings on roadways this time of year used as territory markers. Ziplocked and put in freezer and labeled as to area. Deployed in different areas on well blended set, downwind (prevaling wind direction) of a good, loud/stinky/flashy dirthole or step down is a good combo for me. Catches pairs well.

Any location worth one trap is worth two if you have them.

Walk barb wire fences and watch strands at crawl unders for fluffy coyote fur. Set nearby but far enough away they can't reach the fence, unless you like mending fences.

Learn to use suttle blocking, pebbles not near jaws, grassy stems, manure/droppings, dirt clods, etc.

Wear clean gloves installing sets.
Coyotes are like meth addicts, highly unpredictable, highly paranoid, capable of weird behavior.

Check out trapperman.com.

PLEASE represent trappers well, have some idea of what you are doing, follow all applicable game laws for trapping, and do what you can to reduce incidence of non-target catches. Non- targets happen, but using swivels, offsets (some debate here), short chains, and owning a release pole make non- targets easier to release when possible.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I’d snares are legal i alway catch way more with snares but a 1 3/4 or number 2 coilspring with a dirt hole set works as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also believe in the dirt hole set. I prefer a #2 . If wetness can be a problem I would use waxed dirt. Use the most stinking bait you can find.. If you want to trap near the kill site, you might use a straw bail set. Use roughly a half bail of straw up against a good backer ( tree line, tree trunk) make a dirt hole set and place a small amount of kill in the hole. Place a second trap about 6” to the left or right of the dirt hole trap. Put some coyote urine on one or both legs of the horse shoe. The new straw is a visual attractor to draw coyotes in, the urine reassures the coyote. Learn to bed your traps very solidly. Blend the trap in with some surrounding vegetation grated through a screen ( look up what that’s called) and keep human scent to a minimum.

204_ruger

FNG
On my flat sets around grass. In the summer I let the grass grow longer. Cut it let it dry. Put in bags in the dry. I use it with a pan cover. Rain can't wash it away like regular dirt. U can bend it in good. Just don't do a little spot. Spead it around the outside of the trap to. My flat sets I use a cow vertebrate in some of my sets. I hammer it in the ground. Has a hole to put bait and lure in. Only reason I use gloves are because of sand burrs. But summer times it can get hard to catch some. They have alot of food running around. Plus your sweat drips all around your sets. Don't walk up to your sets everyday. If u are on private land. Trap right along the road if u can. I trap one 5000 acres hunting club. I trap right along the old road. Most Coyotes will run the easiest route. I like snares along with killpoles. Has your tie off and snare support all in one. I make mine.

WCB

WKR
Any location worth one trap is worth two if you have them.
I will agree with this and add that any worth two will probably be better with three this time of year when the young ones start cruising around. I never set one at a spot...NEVER

Snares are the easy button and no offense but as a new trapper will probably be needed as it is a steep learning curve to being effective with leg holds. They get trap shy real fast when mistakes are made.

If possible set up a bait sight in the thickest cover you can find. make a couple small trails or let them make their own...then set snares. I know guys that are absolute studs at trapping yotes...they've been doing it for 40+ years. They hardly set a leg hold now unless it is just to do it for "fun".