Transporting Meat

WDO

FNG
I used AO softsided coolers with good results. You can fit up to 65# of meat in one 48 can size. That said, I used 2 coolers at approximately 45# to make sure I wouldn't go over the 50# limit.
Use dry ice and freeze (max of 5.5# I believe) but I took the ice out at the truck so I wouldn't have any potential issues.

Almost 24 hours in those cooler bags with no ice (although the meat was frozen solid when entered) and it was still frozen solid.

mi650

WKR
The first class thing used to pencil out but hasn’t in a while. I used to do that 2-3 years ago but now the difference in fares is usually more than double. Paying for 3 extra bags over weight is still cheaper.
True, and it was probably true at the time I did it. But my wife had never flown 1st class before, so I surprised her with the upgrade.

Off topic: the following year, we flew 1st class on a non-stop flight from Detroit to Dallas for the NRA convention. They lost our luggage. Both bags.

$20 for a wal mart cooler and ~$50 to check it depending on the airline. As others said, it's part of the hunt cost and $100 is a drop in the bucket considering you're flying, buying nonresident tags, renting a vehicle and potentially hotel rooms. We do this a half dozen times a year sending meat home with company.

Dropping meat off at a processor and having them next day ship it all UPS will probably cost a couple hundred in shipping alone. The head won't fit in a flat rate box so having a taxidermist ship that would probably cost more than flying home with a whole cooler.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I normally just go to Walmart near where you are hunting and buy a cheap $25 cooler. A deboned antelope will fit in 1 fairly small cooler. If the meat can be frozen, it will remain frozen until you arrive home. Just try to keep the cooler under 50 lbs to avoid overweight charges. It is, by far, the least expensive option to take it home as checked luggage. It should cost around $75 or so.

OP
O
Difference between 1st class and economy seats is almost $1000 to the airport I plan to fly into. No international or large airports around where I plan to hunt.
I'm going to have to eat the oversize baggage charge due to my rifle case being 1 inch larger than regular sized checked baggage size limit

Catchfish

WKR
Do not waste your time with an expensive cooler, rotomolded coolers weigh far too much. Find a place to freeze your meat before you fly home and stick it in a cheap cooler it will be be fine when you get home.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I do this almost every year coming back from Missouri. I take a soft sided foldable cooler with me that when full comes in just under 50 lbs. I get 2 free checked bags on Alaska airlines so it is free. A boned out antelope would be somewhat less than that. Have your meat frozen at a grocery store or meat place.

I'm going to have to eat the oversize baggage charge due to my rifle case being 1 inch larger than regular sized checked baggage size limit
You should be fine. Rifle case falls under sports equipment with most airlines, you have the same weight limit but size jumps to 115-120, but I doubt they even measure it.

tntrker

WKR
you shouldn't have to pay for the rife case being oversized. Some do charge an extra $50 for it being a rifle though...

ColeyG

WKR
I fly with meat a couple of times a year from the L48 and/or HI back to AK. The Yeti Hopper 30 soft cooler weighs exactly 50lbs when stuffed with cut and wrapped meat. I bought a pair of them a few years back just for this purpose and wind up using them way more often than my hard sided coolers these days. No extra bag or overweight fees for me on AK airlines.

As others have noted, ideally the meat would be frozen prior to travel but as long as it has been refrigerated, you'll be good for two days at least.

For heads, I wrap them in plastic garbage bags and then masking tape the crap out of them and then carry them on. Every once in a while a few maggots wind up in the overhead bin. Persistent little buggers.