Transporting Meat

I'm sure there is a thread about this already but I'll ask about it. I currently live in NC, going to be antelope hunting this fall. I will be flying out and taking 5 days to hunt. If I am fortunate enough to punch my tag, how does one go about transporting meat when it comes to flying across the country? Anyone have experience flying with it? I thought about taking a cooler to put the meat in, but that gets expensive with airline weight restrictions, extra checked baggage fees etc. I won't be driving across country to transport it, 100% will be flying.

Tod osier

WKR
I'm sure there is a thread about this already but I'll ask about it. I currently live in NC, going to be antelope hunting this fall. I will be flying out and taking 5 days to hunt. If I am fortunate enough to punch my tag, how does one go about transporting meat when it comes to flying across the country? Anyone have experience flying with it? I thought about taking a cooler to put the meat in, but that gets expensive with airline weight restrictions, extra checked baggage fees etc. I won't be driving across country to transport it, 100% will be flying.

Getting meat home is part of the trip cost that people don't figure on. If it needs to come home, you have to pay for it. An antelope is very small, boned out it can fit in quite a small cooler.

OP
O
Getting meat home is part of the trip cost that people don't figure on. If it needs to come home, you have to pay for it. An antelope is very small, boned out it can fit in quite a small cooler.
Could probably fit in a rotomolded cooler of sorts. Definitely need to see what TSA rules will apply when transporting meat on an airplane

tntrker

WKR
Could probably fit in a rotomolded cooler of sorts. Definitely need to see what TSA rules will apply when transporting meat on an airplane
I'd fly back with an antelope in a heartbeat. Fly 1st class and you're allowed 70lbs vs normal 50lbs. Or just pay the extra overweight fee, $200 on Delta i believe..

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Deboned Antelope will fit in a smaller soft cooler, or just a duffle. Get a freeze on it by either staying in a hotel/airbnb with freezer or use dry ice a day before the flight. Rotomold coolers are heavy and unnecessary for flying. Get a cheap soft cooler from Walmart or just put in a dry bag inside a duffle. It’s only going to be about 35lbs, easiest animal to fly with. You could even carry it on.

OP
O
Deboned Antelope will fit in a smaller soft cooler, or just a duffle. Get a freeze on it by either staying in a hotel/airbnb with freezer or use dry ice a day before the flight. Rotomold coolers are heavy and unnecessary for flying. Get a cheap soft cooler from Walmart or just put in a dry bag inside a duffle. It’s only going to be about 35lbs, easiest animal to fly with. You could even carry it on.
Ideally in a perfect world, I would like to do a Euro Mount if I end up killing a buck. I would assume most leave them with a local taxidermist or transport it home in the cooler

MThuntr

WKR
Ideally in a perfect world, I would like to do a Euro Mount if I end up killing a buck. I would assume most leave them with a local taxidermist or transport it home in the cooler
If you're going to euro at home, your state may require the skull to be cleaned before returning. Be prepared to spend a bit of time boiling/cleaning it...remember to get the sheathes off during that boil (more of a simmer) otherwise it will get stinky. A pot and a pressure washer/carwash will make short work

mi650

WKR
I'd fly back with an antelope in a heartbeat. Fly 1st class and you're allowed 70lbs vs normal 50lbs. Or just pay the extra overweight fee, $200 on Delta i believe..
Yep, 1st class is the way to go.

I killed a pig in FL a few years ago. Wife and I were allowed 2 free checked bags each, and had only taken 2 with us, 1 for clothes and 1 rifle case. Checking a cooler full of pork and 5 lbs. of dry ice cost nothing extra.

Tod osier

WKR
If you're going to euro at home, your state may require the skull to be cleaned before returning. Be prepared to spend a bit of time boiling/cleaning it...remember to get the sheathes off during that boil (more of a simmer) otherwise it will get stinky. A pot and a pressure washer/carwash will make short work
This usually only applies to cervids.

Looking at coolers I own, a 50 quart would easily fit a fleshed out head and all the meat.

wytx

WKR
I don't believe pronghorn fall under CWD rules.

OP
O

I killed a pig in FL a few years ago. Wife and I were allowed 2 free checked bags each, and had only taken 2 with us, 1 for clothes and 1 rifle case. Checking a cooler full of pork and 5 lbs. of dry ice cost nothing extra.
Difference between 1st class and economy seats is almost $1000 to the airport I plan to fly into. No international or large airports around where I plan to hunt.

Ship some gear back and check frozen meat. As far as the head probably easiest to have somebody out there do the euro and ship it back yo you...

With all the issues with flights lately no way I would fly for hunt this year.

Rich M

WKR
Have a great hunt - I've got a trip planned for this fall too. Antelope as well.

Good comment about the airlines. Gotta consider that and go with a bigger name and lil pricier ticket I guess. Planning to fly Orlando to Denver and drive from there - the connecting flights to small airport will kill the same amount of time as driving, then i gotta rent a truck anyway.

Planning to have local taxi do the euro and also to carry back meat in a soft-sided cooler.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Can clean the head up, wrap in plastic and tape up well, probably get it in a carry on too. Much easier to drop with someone there and get shipped. Should be $100-150 for euro and 40/50 for shipping.
You can get a light weight cheap Walmart hard cooler (or just plastic tote), will fit meat and skull, duct tape up, that’s one check bag. That should come in under 50lbs.
Another note, it’s usually cheaper to check an entire other bag than one over weight. Overweight usually doesn’t pan out till bag 4/5. You just have to get on each carriers site and do the math.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved

The first class thing used to pencil out but hasn’t in a while. I used to do that 2-3 years ago but now the difference in fares is usually more than double. Paying for 3 extra bags over weight is still cheaper.