Training to retrieve fur?

bdg848

WKR
I have a three-going-on-four year old GSP who has no trouble returning a downed bird to hand but will not touch a shot rabbit. She will track them, point them, and I certainly don't mind shooting them but after the shot she just walks over to it and sniffs it. If i put it in her mouth she will hold it and walk a bit with it but spits it out as soon as I glance away. It's not that big of a deal but I would like her to to be well rounded and well disciplined and retrieve everything I shoot without being picky. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting her to retrieve furred game?

Force fetch training is the answer. The dog needs to understand that fetch means fetch, regardless of what the object is.

lf4hvQU.jpg

II95nFn.jpg

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Retrieving a fox over an obstacle and on a drag, and a rabbit on a drag through the forest is a part of the German testing system for a few German versatile breeds so you may want to look for JGHV resources or look on pages for those breeds. I found that getting the dog fired up with a shot or two from a blank pistol or shotgun, starting with short retrieves, letting the dog parade around with the furred game helped. My dog was fine with rabbits from the start but needed some encouragement to go for the fox, but it was like a switch went off when he did it under the conditions I described above and he has been reliable on fur ever since. He had previously had a trained retrieve but I think that people use that term to cover a lot of different techniques and sequences of training. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Force fetch training is the answer. The dog needs to understand that fetch means fetch, regardless of what the object is.

lf4hvQU.jpg

II95nFn.jpg
This is the right advice. A properly force fetched dog will bring you a raw egg or a dumbbell with the tail wagging. Where are you located? Finding a NAVHDA, JGHV or maybe lab club nearby is a great resource for learning to force fetch, though the NAVHDA/lab guys will roll their eyes about fur hunting.

This is the right advice. A properly force fetched dog will bring you a raw egg or a dumbbell with the tail wagging. Where are you located? Finding a NAVHDA, JGHV or maybe lab club nearby is a great resource for learning to force fetch, though the NAVHDA/lab guys will roll their eyes about fur hunting.
Not me my lab is hell on furred game and I love it. God help the possum that strolls through the yard. He’ll be dead and in my hand in about 30 seconds lol.