Training/loaner/kids rifle

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I listened to Musashi again on Audible. Loved it. Audible has some free books written by Musashi and some of the other famous historical people in the novel. I also listen to My Side of the Mountain regularly, one of my favorite books as a kid.

Tiny Habits, Atomic Habits and Compound Effect are very interesting books on the brain and performance/habits.

If you like to learn about the brain and interesting bio/physiological effects on the brain Deep by James Nestor and The Wedge by Scott Carney are very interesting about the brain/body connection. I was also very surprised by What Doesn't Kill us by Scott Carney, Breath by James Nestor and The Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown as they talked about the way breathing affects both physical and mental performance.

I enjoyed Not a Good Day to Die, and The Mission, The Men, and Me, books on Iraq war experiences.
I will have to look into those books. For books on the mind/brain Who's in Charge?: Free WIll and the Science of the Brain by Michael Gazzaniga; The Biology of Desire: Why Addiction Is Not a Disease by Marc Lewis; Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman; and The Road to Character by David Brooks have all been good.

Those are two great books on the early days of Iraq and Afghanistan. Roughneck Nine-One by Frank Antenori; and The Snake Eaters by Owen West also stand out as exceptional.

Musashi is technically my wife's book as I bought it for her around the time we started dating (I had barrowed a friends copy). About the same time she got me to read the Kalevala and the Valsunga Sag.

I just saw that E Arthur Brown makes Encore barrels. I have had good results with two barrels I bought from them for my Savage. They shot .5 moa with the accuracy barrels.

I will have to give them I try. I was going to wait, but was up late studying last night and will blame being tired for the decision to order a 16.5 inch Match Grade Machine barrel in 308.

I think I got lucky and the previous owner had work done on the trigger as it feels very good. I should pull out the scale and see what it breaks at.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like the titles of those three brain books, neuroscience has fundamentally changed the way the world will think about the brain. Addiction has some physical components, but after withdrawals, it is all in the brain/mind.

If you like podcasts, check out Andrew Huberman, he has some incredible stuff on the brain, brand new science stuff.

All those medical texts, then ... Torture. I guess I would have expected that on a dentist's bookshelf.
but Games Climbers Play...That's an old one.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
All those medical texts, then ... Torture. I guess I would have expected that on a dentist's bookshelf.
but Games Climbers Play...That's an old one.
You have not spent enough time around critical care medicine then, we try to to be nice, but comfort and being pain free are often the enemy of recovery.

Torture and Democracy by Darius Rejali is a study of torture over the past 100 or so years. It pairs well with Black Banners by Ali Soufan. Both argue a position I once rejected strongly.

Games Criminals Play was suggested reading when I worked at a jail. The Confidence Game by Maria Konnikiva is a more readable version of similar information (though not as directly applicable to corrections).

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, my booger hook is not well calibrated. Average of six pulls with the Lyman gives me a 4 lbs 15 oz trigger. So, not as good as I thought.

For similar thoughts our choice was ruger American ranch 16.1" barrel in 6.5 Grendel, threw it in an Mdt-lss xl gen2 chassis, added strike industries buffer tube, magpul ctr butt stock and moe-k grip. Pulled the factory rail and put talley 1" lows on and a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 and it's an 8.25 lb rig with 10 round AR mags, enough hp to take big game to 400 yards, recoil energy without suppressor is 6.5 ft/lbs (anyone can shoot it) and the 6.5 Grendel has barrel life equivalent to a .22 lr. We dream of suppressors and maybe one day when the storm is over we will see them in Canada, I know we will be that's another conversation. The kids and I are shooting these great, we are 12 for 12 on big game animals now to 420 yards and 5 species. About the most you can do with 30 grains of powder. It's so much fun and fits anyone that it's my go to combo now. If I can't kill it with this rig then I suck. 3 shot groups to 500 yards with factory 123gr eld-m ammo 3/4 moa no prob. ;)

it takes down easily also, a little dab of loctite on the castle nut and the butt stock assembly spins off and on to the same spot and with an oal of 26.25" when apart so can stuff it in the pack pretty easy

Last edited:
Thanks. Quite a few, though they are spread over the house, and I need to get them all back in one place as I could not find a reference a few weeks back. Quite a few are on audible now too, not the same quality of study as actual reading, but lets me "read" while running or driving and between kids and work time is harder to come by now.

Any particular subject of interest? Any books you recommend?
no particular subject of interest, much more hunting through half price books and finding whatever piques my interest

my most recommended/given books: Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I’ve reread this book 50+ times, it has captivated me since senior year english class and I can’t put it away. Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. This is the only other book I’ve read nearly as many times as Blood Meridian. absolutely fantastic historical fiction piece of the battle at Thermopylae. No Country for Old Men, also by Cormac McCarthy. Much more accessible read compared to Meridian, and the movie follows the storyline impeccably.
The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell, certainly helped me expand my way of thinking. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, The War of Art by Pressfield, 7 Habits of highly effective people by S. Covey, and many more. what are your most recommended?

I got a TC Compass 2 308 compact with a 16” barrell. I run a nomad Ti on it a a vx3 HD 2-7x38. It’s a great beater rifle. Triggers nice, fit and finish are 6/10 but it shoots great.

BLJ

WKR
For similar thoughts our choice was ruger American ranch 16.1" barrel in 6.5 Grendel, threw it in an Mdt-lss xl gen2 chassis, added strike industries buffer tube, magpul ctr butt stock and moe-k grip. Pulled the factory rail and put talley 1" lows on and a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 and it's an 8.25 lb rig with 10 round AR mags, enough hp to take big game to 400 yards, recoil energy without suppressor is 6.5 ft/lbs (anyone can shoot it) and the 6.5 Grendel has barrel life equivalent to a .22 lr. We dream of suppressors and maybe one day when the storm is over we will see them in Canada, I know we will be that's another conversation. The kids and I are shooting these great, we are 12 for 12 on big game animals now to 420 yards and 5 species. About the most you can do with 30 grains of powder. It's so much fun and fits anyone that it's my go to combo now. If I can't kill it with this rig then I suck. 3 shot groups to 500 yards with factory 123gr eld-m ammo 3/4 moa no prob. ;)

it takes down easily also, a little dab of loctite on the castle nut and the butt stock assembly spins off and on to the same spot and with an oal of 26.25" when apart so can stuff it in the pack pretty easy

I’d like to see pictures if you can. Thanks.

I’d like to see pictures if you can. Thanks.
Maybe you can see here?
https://www.instagram.com/65grendelhunters/

Ps I built a hobbit rifle before the hobbit rifle. Sort of. I took a 7-08 pro hunter and lopped barrel of to 20” and had my machinest install a knurled aluminum knob off the pistol grip to make a take down. Did the rail and accurizing trick tricks available at the time but couldn’t seem to shake a zero shift issue. Sold it and bought a blaser k95 as the do it right the 2nd time for a take down option for backpack stuffing. Neither of those would adjust to fit any shooter though. So i got out off the Thompson thing way back as I’m not sure how long ago I did this but it was before I bought my blaser k95 and I think my initial review and set up of that rifle is on this forum somewhere. I do like the adjustable lop options for butt stock that the hobbit guy built. I looked at the g2 contender option to do again with a custom 6.5 Grendel barrel and make a pretty sick ultralight option and built it out on paper but I decided I just like repeaters better so this chassis stuff gives take down or folding stock plus fit any one adjustability and versatility. Versatility is what I value most.

Last edited:
OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
no particular subject of interest, much more hunting through half price books and finding whatever piques my interest

my most recommended/given books: Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I’ve reread this book 50+ times, it has captivated me since senior year english class and I can’t put it away. Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. This is the only other book I’ve read nearly as many times as Blood Meridian. absolutely fantastic historical fiction piece of the battle at Thermopylae. No Country for Old Men, also by Cormac McCarthy. Much more accessible read compared to Meridian, and the movie follows the storyline impeccably.
The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell, certainly helped me expand my way of thinking. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz, The War of Art by Pressfield, 7 Habits of highly effective people by S. Covey, and many more. what are your most recommended?
I have read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, but only watched No Country for Old Men. He has a very unique style and does a really good job with being realistic. However, I have avoided the rest of his stuff as I feel like I get enough of the tragedy of life between working in the ED and keeping up with world events.

Gates of Fire is one of the few books I have read multiple times. This is probably one of my more frequently recommended books.

I think On Combat by David Grossman is a very good read, having read it helped my deal with PTSD from a non-combat, but f'ed up event in my life.

I'm a big JRR Tolkien fan. The more I have learned about him as a person the more I respect him (a rare thing). I avoided his stuff for a long time, but my wife finally got me to read it. If one is looking, there is a wealth of knowledge on humanity and life woven into the books. Interestingly, and in modern style, the movies stripped much of it out. I think this is both because of the comparable lack of depth as humans of the movie makers and because modern audience would be confused or reject the wisdom of Tolkien.

I think On The Origins of War: and the Preservation of Peace by Donald Kagan should be mandatory reading in school.

I will have to add The Power of Myth to my reading list.

Sig cross as it has an ambidexterous safety

Only issue with encore, is lock time some kids can struggle with it.

I just saw that E Arthur Brown makes Encore barrels. I have had good results with two barrels I bought from them for my Savage. They shot .5 moa with the accuracy barrels.

I had 25-06 barrel encore barrel from them that was awesome, had A 6.5 CM MGM 18” barrel that was great as well. Essentially you can’t go wrong with either

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Sig cross as it has an ambidexterous safety

Only issue with encore, is lock time some kids can struggle with it.
I looked at a Cross today, they only have a few inches of LOP adjustment with a minimum of 12 and 7/8ths inches. The T/C with an M4 stock should have a minimum LOP of about 10 inches.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Still have to finish it (bed rail, level scope, install Spartan Gunsmith Adapter) but at 6 lb 11 ounces as pictured I'm stoked. 20220726_164152.jpg

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
What's overall length?
29 inches when collapsed. When I ordered parts I was concerned about possibly being a hair under 26 inches, however the Sharps grip and the pic to buffer adapter add a good bit of length.