Trail runners / Fast Packing / hiking shoes

I’m on the same quest for something wide, gaiter compatible, and waterproof.

In addition to my left-handedness I’ve been cursed with wide feet which makes finding boots and shoes tough. I love my brooks adrenaline wide running shoes and like their cascadias for trail runners. Of course if you want gtx they don’t come in wide.

I bought some “topo trailventure 2” last year and they have been really comfortable and nice. Decent ankle support. Great for wide feet and there is a goretex option if you’re interested. For a minimal pack weight, they have proved to be very good.

I’m on the same quest for something wide, gaiter compatible, and waterproof.

In addition to my left-handedness I’ve been cursed with wide feet which makes finding boots and shoes tough. I love my brooks adrenaline wide running shoes and like their cascadias for trail runners. Of course if you want gtx they don’t come in wide.
Pardon the interruption but for wide boots I would suggest looking at Mendl. Their sizing is a little different but they are very helpful making sure you get the correct fit. The Comfort Fit Hiker has been my best boot.

As I’ve gotten older having a wider toe box has been nice. My speecross shoes are awesome but after a hike my feet would ache. So far the Altra shoes have been nice. For boots I wear Scarpa, I have a set of the light hikers and Fuego mountaineering boots. I’d like to try a pair of their approach shoes.

I switch between Altra Lone Peaks and Solomon XA3’s. Very different styles of shoes, but they happen to be what fits me. For off trail or rough trail, the Solomons will substantially outlast the Altras in both tread life and fabric wear. I toss the Altras way before I’d wish too. The Solomons are also more protective of my feet in rocky terrain and have a much much better lace system. Drawback is that they dry slower and aren’t nearly as light.

The drop vs zero drop has never mattered to my feet.

I just got some Altra timp hikers, I really really like them. I’ve already chipped the foam a bit, I’m not really shocked about that. I wouldn’t choose them for days of sidehilling or anything with terribly sharp rocks. Altras durability really sucks. These are very light, I can run in them pretty comfortably, and if they make it through summer training and September elk I’ll be pretty happy.

I’m taking some notes on what people are recommending in this thread. At this point I’d have to be on a very remote, very exposed hunt to take a real “boot”. I’m on the lightweight trail train.

Check out Inov8. Someone on here told me about them and they have been excellent! Extremely light and have been holding up amazingly!
Well, these boots did finally fail. But I just ordered two more pairs. They lasted about 9 months. For $90 on Amazon, I still don’t think I can beat them.

Back