Trail Gaiters

ARCHER11

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried putting grommets in the Sitka or FirstLite trail gaiters? I've used some REI gaiters for a couple years and really like them but they no longer make the model I have and like. I like the looks of the trail gaiters from Sitka or First Lite but don't like the idea of the irreplaceable rubber strap. My REI gaiters just have grommets on each side that I run paracord through. Iike that I'm able to replace these as necessary for minimal cost. So anyway, anyone ever try putting grommets in gaiters?

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
The instep strap will probably outlast the gaiters.
The problem with para it'd is it ices up it wet snow.
I really like the FL.

Mike7

WKR
I've had the REI gaiters and the shoe string strap seemed to last poorly for me and was a pain to put on...and the gaiters are one size fits all. I now use the OR flex tex gaiters and they solve all of those problems. The under foot strap also wears like iron.

OP
A

ARCHER11

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I ended up picking up the FL gaiters with the mindset to use them until the strap breaks then try the grommets. Unfortunately they're not going to work. The top cuff on the size large gaiter is way too tight, I can't even get it around my leg to secure the velcro. I could get away with it wearing it down on my ankle but with my mid height boots it wont fit around my leg. It's also strange that the cuff has no stretch to it. I wouldn't say my legs are abnormally large but who knows maybe I have kankles... Thought i'd give a little update for those who might be interested in purchasing these gaiters.