trail cam security

i was just wondering what trail cams you use and how you prevent them from being taken on public land there are a few people who think stuff belongs to them around my area id like to put a few cams out but dont want to loose them. Also when do you start putting your cameras up on public land if used

CorbLand

WKR
I run a stealth cam p12. I built a custom box to fit it. Its heavy and bulky but good luck getting into it. Use a lock and a python lock to secure it to the tree.

Trr15

WKR
I've been using bushnell x8's for years. Not sure if you can still get them, but they're great cameras. I don't do anything to secure mine other than locate them so deep in that if someone finds them I would be blown away. On the rare occasion that I place one somewhere that gets traffic, I put them 10ft up in a tree. The way I figure it is the more junk I have attached to it In an attempt to secure it, the more likely the camera will be seen. Haven't lost any yet. I start putting mine up as soon as the snow melts and take them down prior to the archery opener.

wapitibob

WKR
I use cheap webbing and just strap them to a tree. Haven't seen a human on an Elk cam yet and for Antelope, everybody with the tag is in the same boat so they leave each others cams alone.

charvey9

WKR
I keep some up year round, and have only had a few stolen. I think the best option is using one of these mounts that screws into the tree instead of the strap. You can even take some screw in tree steps with you and hang it high. It makes the camera a lot harder to spot without the strap going around the whole tree, and deters most would-be-thieves mounting it up out of reach.

EZ Aim

The few I had stolen were strapped to a tree, and in areas that do see some foot traffic.

Trr15

WKR
I keep some up year round, and have only had a few stolen. I think the best option is using one of these mounts that screws into the tree instead of the strap. You can even take some screw in tree steps with you and hang it high. It makes the camera a lot harder to spot without the strap going around the whole tree, and deters most would-be-thieves mounting it up out of reach.

EZ Aim

The few I had stolen were strapped to a tree, and in areas that do see some foot traffic.

Definitely agree with the spike vs strap to limit visibility. I made my own out of hardware and shot them with some matte finish spray paint. I'll dig one out and post up a pic. Easy to make and cheap too...

Trr15

WKR
IMG_0024.jpg

Just an eye screw, eye bolt and some washers and a wing nut. They work well for me.

530Chukar

WKR
I use Moultries as they are on the Promotive. I also have a Bushnell that 7 or 8 years old that I've had some problems with but still works. I buy the HD steel cases from camlockbox.com with the python cable locks. I use 4 lag bolts to secures the cases to the tree. Puython lock it and also padlock it. Haven't had one stolen yet but I do have pictures of NPS employees trying to steel one of the cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
One more thing with they python locks. I've found they aren't as secure as you'd expect. I've been able to cut mine with a pocket knife because I'd left the keys at the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vargasm

FNG
I use bushnell and moultrie. I've had good experience with both, as well as the reconyx I use for work(expensive). I either use a bear box bolted to the tree or I take a portable tree stand ladder and put them up in a tree about 12 feet. Just make sure there are no limbs for people to climb, I learned that the hard way.

Use Moultries and put em in May/July. 2 lag bots in a security/bear box and a boa cable around the tree also. Have never had an issue. Had to cut through a boa cable once with wire gutters because the key broke in the lock. Took me awhile. Someone would have to have the tools and be hellbent to get them.

I try and take one section of my ladder sticks with me to the woods. This gets my Moultrie Panoramic up around 10 feet up the tree. Most people walking by, either don't see it, or can't reach it. The one time I had it at ground level, someone stole my chip. I'm just glad they left the camera. This is on property owned by the company I work for. Only employees are allowed to hunt on it, so it's not necessarily public, but there are quite a few people hunting on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

blackdawg

WKR
I have had success with hiding the cameras, using liquid nails to glue local tree bark on the cameras, using a rusty piece of bailing wire instead of strap for attachment. I get better pictures with the cameras on ground level.