Trad string materials

socoalt

WKR
To the guys who make their own strings, what is your go to material? Do you use different materials for flemish twist or endless loop? Also what is your typical center serving material and size?

Thanks!

I have used 8190 for endless loop for years with Halo center serving and diamondback or similar for the endloops. I build a 16 strand string, pad the loops to 20 strands and I think my center serving is .024. Fits a standard X nocks or similar perfectly with 16 strands.

I don't believe they make 8190 anymore, but I bought a lifetime supply when places started discontinuing it.

Also, remember that string material strand size is going to require different serving diameters. For an example if I built a 16 strand string with ASTRO and then used .024 Halo, my nocks would not fit. Sometimes it's trial and error when using new material combinations.

I use D-97. 14 stand string, padded to 22 in the loops. Center serving is .024 halo. Fits x nocks and black eagle nocks just perfect for me.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
D97 is most common it seems, then 8190- both great. I'm using BCY- X...for no particular reason. I do Endless loop- its fast and easy.

I pad the loops with 4-6 extra strands extra strands. I tried serving them but its a waste of time I think.

Currently I'm using 12 strands of Brown BCYX, back the serving with 5 strands of 452 then serve with Halo[ I'm not sure what size, the label wore off, I think its .30. My nok fit perfect.

I stretch with a Ratchet strap as tight as I can get it. They typically only move a little once.

I thought about going 10 strands....and just might....but I don't think it would matter much.

D97 is most common it seems, then 8190- both great. I'm using BCY- X...for no particular reason. I do Endless loop- its fast and easy.

I pad the loops with 4-6 extra strands extra strands. I tried serving them but its a waste of time I think.

Currently I'm using 12 strands of Brown BCYX, back the serving with 5 strands of 452 then serve with Halo[ I'm not sure what size, the label wore off, I think its .30. My nok fit perfect.

I stretch with a Ratchet strap as tight as I can get it. They typically only move a little once.

I thought about going 10 strands....and just might....but I don't think it would matter much.
Your comment about trying 10 strands brought up a thought.

String material, silencer material, and silencer weight can change your tune significantly. I've tried to help guys on more than one occasion that are trouble shooting poor arrow flight, who after lots of frustration tell me they just changed up the string.

Beendare

WKR
Well I havent done any kind of scientific testing or even chrono…I really don’t care that much..but my ears can hear the difference between my 12 strand and one of thoserope like 60x strings.

Its hard for me to differentiate between A decent 14 strand and my12 stranders. Heck, I even mix in a couple strands of 452 in black so I can see the twists better with 10 bcyx and shot them for years.

I can hear a difference with 4 puffs at the nodes vs 2…and I always wrap the ends with wool, that makes it quieter.
Speed and performance wise…12vs 14…i can’t tell…and don’t care. The thicker commercial strings…those are noticeably slower..and louder.

Beendare

WKR
Does anyone double wrap the serving for a bigger diameter where your tab sits?

i’m thinking about trying that to see if I get a cleaner release

oldgoat

WKR
Does anyone double wrap the serving for a bigger diameter where your tab sits?

i’m thinking about trying that to see if I get a cleaner release
You might just try adding some material length ways and wrapping over it to increase the girth where you want it thicker versus serving it twice, I don't know if it would work or not but the thought came to mind.

oldgoat

WKR
I use fury, it's not produced any more, but it's very durable and doesn't fuzz out as fast as some of the other materials. Also use B50 on my vintage Bear bows. You will just need a variety of serving sizes because any change in strand count or material change you will likely need a different serving.

Beendare

WKR
Heavy fishing line. I’m completely serious.
I have tried that to hold my noks in place with the fine 40# stuff- the spyderwire type stuff. Its nice and slick. I would not use it for serving as it flattens out.

I’m going to wrap some another 1 1/2” lower to cover where I put my tab on the one serving I used the diamond stuff- its not as slick as the other serving material I was using.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Rod Jenkins was the first person who told me the trick about the fishing line for serving. He was using the Zebco Cajun red fishing line for his.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
From what I watched on YouTube there are two different knots you can tie on. One will be able to twist up and down. The other is locked in. Clay Hays' video is good.

Wrench

WKR
My strings from the hardware store in the 80s were served with monofilament fishing line. Been around for a while.

I have tried several strings and I personally feel that my serving to nock fit is more important than who made the material.....fast flite type obviously.

I've built skinny strings and fat strings and padded strings in the serving.....and if you get it too tight or loose....you will have a bad experience.