Trad string materials

Beendare

WKR
Looked at my serving material I like best Serving is .26" Spectra...super slick. I use 12 strands of BCYX, then pad the serving with 4 strands under the serving. I add 4 strands of extra BCYX to pad the loops. I used to serve them but its a waste of time, IMO.

I tried a new Diamond looking stuff...but its not as slick as the Spectra

OP
S

socoalt

WKR
Thanks for all the info. I picked up a spool of b55 (just because it was cheap) to get started on my first few attempts. That way when I have to trash a string I won't feel to bad about throwing expensive material in the garbage. I will move up to some more pricey materials once I figure out what I'm doing. I am definitely going to try the fishing line for serving. I will report back after I make a couple. I appreciate the help. You guys are all world class!

Beendare

WKR
B55 is recommended for all wood bows..,and older bows due to its more stretch, more forgiving.

The modern trad bows will be sluggish and lose speed using that B 55

B55 drives me nuts with the stretching and the twang on release, but it’s tried and true and works.

I’ll get a picture of the fishing line serving later when I’m home. There’s a great video from Clay Hayes on YouTube on how to do it.

Beendare

WKR
A lot of the guys on the Stickbow or Trad Gang site shoot those older bows that need B55, you could probably get some money out of it…problem is the shipping.

OP
S

socoalt

WKR
Alright, I sucked it up and sent the B55 back and got some D97. Thank you to everyone and I will post up some results.

Does anyone double wrap the serving for a bigger diameter where your tab sits?

i’m thinking about trying that to see if I get a cleaner release
Seems like bigger diameter would result in more side to side deflection on release, but it's a cheap experiment. Are you thinking the narrow diameter causes it to pinch somewhere and then effectively get sort of plucked when the release happens?

Beendare

WKR
Seems like bigger diameter would result in more side to side deflection on release, but it's a cheap experiment. Are you thinking the narrow diameter causes it to pinch somewhere and then effectively get sort of plucked when the release happens?
I’ve shot with some top guys at tourneys that thought the larger diameter gave them a smoother release.

I wrap a little ways under my noks to keep them from moving but recently extended it to see if I can tell the difference, I can’t.
F9BC985D-4DD8-4691-94AC-944F6A6A50B7.jpeg

Last edited:

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Boxer - a bigger string diameter is a bigger "bump" that has to go around the edge of your fingers. Therefore, moving a greater distance.....

Beendare

WKR
Bigger bump....how much bigger exactly? grin

That added wrap is the width of this "I" on your screen.

My bet; that bump is insignificant as when the string rolls out, your fingers partially move out of the way.