Tough Trip III

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Love that photo by the fire…

I know a lot of guys backpack hunt on this site and cover some ground; but there is really no comparison to dedicated all day hiking on a backpacking trip. That feeling of taking your boots off at the end of an all day hike, and airing out your feet in front of a fire… very few things are better.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Guys- much appreciated :)

Stunning views just in a picture, can't even imagine what it must have been like in person. Thank you for sharing you adventures and pictures.
Any chance you might do a gear dump or a "what's in my pack" for one of your adventures?

definitely heavier than normal with things like snow shovel, microspikes, tails for the snowshoes, bear spray, two sets of stakes (regular & snow), etc

my pack was pushing 35# (more when the snowshoes were on my back)

https://lighterpack.com/r/0dbt3e

Love it, hindsight being 20/20, what would you have brought or left home?

Personally I wouldn't bring my dog, but Tom almost always does. Not sure if this will change his mind or not, we'll see next trip. I know he's changing up his first aid kit for sure.

The thing that scares me the most with dogs is the stream fording, even a strong swimmer can get swept with strong currents.

Another thank you for sharing pics and written details. Looks like an amazing amount of fun.
Glad to hear the pooch is recovering and I bet Tom is relieved. If you did take Tiny E on one of these jaunts he could ride in your pack for water crossings.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys! :)

Another thank you for sharing pics and written details. Looks like an amazing amount of fun.
Glad to hear the pooch is recovering and I bet Tom is relieved. If you did take Tiny E on one of these jaunts he could ride in your pack for water crossings.

^ true that, but my wife wouldn't even let me consider it :D

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome write up and pics! If you don’t mind me asking, why did you go with trail runners over boots?

Sounds like a great power trip. Thanks for the pictures.
I've got a new pup so I'm trying to figure out what happened.

Did Pepper get a puncture wound from a broken tree branch?

"Pepper had got puncture by a broken stob while crossing some blowdown."
"She also related that the stop had touched her bladder..."

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks a bunch Gents!

Awesome write up and pics! If you don’t mind me asking, why did you go with trail runners over boots?
No possible way to keep shoes dry in these conditions (between the snow and fords), so went with the lighter option. They are easier to get on frozen vs boots and they dry out a lot quicker around a fire too.

How long on dry trails from Holland to Big Salmon? I might have to try that this summer.

We had about 2 miles of dry trail Holland to Upper Holland and about 5 miles from the South Fork up Big Salmon. Dry being snow free. Summer you’ll be golden :)
Sounds like a great power trip. Thanks for the pictures.
I've got a new pup so I'm trying to figure out what happened.

Did Pepper get a puncture wound from a broken tree branch?

"Pepper had got puncture by a broken stob while crossing some blowdown."
"She also related that the stop had touched her bladder..."

Yup- stob = broken branch; it’s the reason (along with breaking down meat with a sharp knife) that I keep blood clotting gauze and some compression bandage in my first aid kit.