Tough coyote or bad ammo?

Pound for pound coyotes are about as tough as they come in N. America.

Besides maybe pigs.

Bullet selection is really important. Big game bullets often aren’t the best option, and neither are bullets designed to vaporize small stuff like p-dogs.

The main reason I quit the 6.5 calibers was bullet terminal performance. Just couldn’t find one that would do what I wanted it to consistently on coyotes. Think I spent more time working up loads for various bullets with that rifle than I did just shooting it!

Last edited:

yeahkkyle

FNG
I am amazed sometimes how tough coyotes are. I use to shoot a bolt 6cm and had good luck with dropping them with one shot where they stood but switched to 22 nosler in AR for follow up/doubles. I had issues with 52gr and runners but switched to 55 nbt's with much better results. Of the 17 shot so far this year I had 2 runners I never found but most don't move more than 10-15 yards. Never used vmax because I've read so much on them splashing but have a friend who shoots 60gr vmax with over 100 coyotes last year that swears by them.

Aviator

WKR
I shoot the 60gr Vmax from my ar and have had a few splash on coyotes. Next batch I load up I’m going to try the 60gr BT.

WKR

WKR
I think its a little ironic that people feel bad about killing a yote and it not immediately expiring. They are ruthless killers and don't give a damn if something is wounded when they hunt.
Ofcourse I want everything I kill to be quick and clean but I won't feel bad about a yote that takes a second shot.

xsn10s

WKR
No experience with coyotes, but when slaughtering farm animals, every once in a while I'll have an animal that just doesn't want to die. Chickens, sheep, goats, I've had at least one of each-carotid artery sliced both sides, no more blood... Animal just won't die. It's gut wrenching but it happens. I imagine every once in a while you'll get the same with wild animals.
I agree with this. Some animals are just tough. I shot a chuck two years ago at around 4XX yards with a 53gr vmax. It was still alive when I walked up to it and I put it down. I must be getting soft because it took some of the fun out of hunting chucks for me, sloppy work. This year I dropped two badgers at 145 yards with that same load and a yote at 100 yards. All three were DRT.

Nkoza

Lil-Rokslider
I shot one years ago with what looked like a running head shot. When I walked up its eyes were moving and it was breathing heavily. I hit it through the neck and just paralyzed it some how. I’ve shot hundreds of coyotes since then and some die easy and some don’t.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
I think its a little ironic that people feel bad about killing a yote and it not immediately expiring. They are ruthless killers and don't give a damn if something is wounded when they hunt.
Ofcourse I want everything I kill to be quick and clean but I won't feel bad about a yote that takes a second shot.
I get upset with myself if I blow a coyote opportunity. Because I think about him as stealing Rabbits and Deer from Me.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
I think many people mistake poor shot placement as Coyote toughness.
True but even then there is a bit of both things going on.

My very first yote shot. Which was an unexpected rushed opportunity as he was coming along this drainage as I'd already loaded up my pack and was using the drainage to move to another location.

The shot literally... literally... made his whole body barrel roll in the air! ... and then fall to the ground in a slump, where he then proceeded to rock back and forth for several seconds and then EFF me if he doesn't get back up.. turn to look back at me.. then proceed to dash away up the knoll from his position at the top edge of the drainage.

I deduced, from my memory of the shot... that the projectile must have hit the phalanges of his vertebrae right there above his shoulder area. Thus the bullet had a firm target to impart it's energy into... to cause the barrel roll... but that's not exactly vitals, for sure, hence his ability to run away greater than 250yds, before I then could no longer pick up his blood trail anymore in that 25-30mph cold wind.

So I say this because of the distance this damn yote was able to run away, and the type of terrain he traversed, whilst still bleeding significantly enough to renew my hope of perhaps finding him, especially on his downhill decent into this ravine after the knoll.

So yeah, you know.... definitely both factors going on. Definitely not a "vitals" hit... but crikey when as the last time you saw something take a hit to it's spine that caused it to barrel roll mid air.. and then STILL be able to traverse such terrain and evade a determined pursuer.

THEY ARE DEFINITELY tough little bastids.

Mark5868

FNG
First Coyote the shot was a bit low and I mean just a bit. Look at the picture of the Coyote after the video. Results are after the shot the Coyote runs and drops.

Second Coyote is hit in the vitals and is DRT.

There is no way the first Coyote is “tougher” then the second Coyote shown in the video.

Its shot placement.

mkk

FNG
I’ve had really good luck with a 95gn V-Max shot out of a 18” AR 6.5 Grendel. I keep shots at 150yds maximum.

Also have another .223 AR set up with a 62gn Nosler that’s very efficient.

My next project is a 22-250 and a Barnes 55gn TSX

Key for me is knowing my capabilities and lots of practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk