Top lid for packs

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, let's suppose you all had or have a backcountry pack without a top lid.
What lid from another pack company would you or did you put on it and why??

Randy

Baron528

FNG
I use an Exo lid on a Kuiu Pro LT 5500. The Kuiu lid is a floppy bag that didn't come close to sealing the drawstring top. The Exo fits like a glove. I also prefer the pocket layout on the Exo compared to other lids on the market.

I'm trying to decide on my next bag purchase currently. Regardless of the brand, I will be using an Exo lid on the new bag as well.

*zap*

WKR
Depends on how much I want to put in the lid. Personally, I think there is no downside to a lid with good storage and some pals webbing on it. Maybe some loops inside for a chamber pocket or two.

Last edited:

taskswap

WKR
This will be my first year running with a lid. I just upgraded to a Mystery Ranch system. Their setup is a little weird. The lid that "comes with" the Beartooth pack is just that - just a lid. But you can buy the lid separately and if you do it's a different design, it has straps for day-pack use.

That's what I'm going to experiment with this year. I managed to get my "without water or food" load down to 3lbs, mostly kill kit, med kit, and a few accessories (chapstick, headlamp, that kind of thing). I can't say this is a "great way" to go. butI'm pretty optimistic. It seems like it adds capacity and flexibiilty without much drawback...

wnelson14

WKR
Sg lid on a Kifaru 22 mag, just played around with it, but I think it will work well, especially to strap a head on.

Love my trimmed Kifaru Guide Lid. The old school Longhunter lid is a favorite too. Lots of space and light weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
I use an Exo lid on a Kuiu Pro LT 5500. The Kuiu lid is a floppy bag that didn't come close to sealing the drawstring top. The Exo fits like a glove. I also prefer the pocket layout on the Exo compared to other lids on the market.

I've got the same setup as Baron and for the same reasons. I love my Exo packs and frames but that lid on the Kuiu Pro LT is an great lightweight combo.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Same as Paladin and Baron. Have an extra EXO K2 lid and have set it up for use on my Kuiu Pro 2300 and 4000 LT. Couple bucks worth of hardware and it's all set.

sivart

WKR
I use my lid for just the quick access items. To me the lid is the most important part of any bag.

headlamp
steripen
gloves and beenie
snacks and drink mix
in reach

Drenalin

WKR
I've tried lids from Exo, Seek Outside, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Kuiu. The only ones I liked were Exo and Seek Outside.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So, let's suppose you all had or have a backcountry pack without a top lid.
What lid from another pack company would you or did you put on it and why??

Randy

I can’t stand a saggy, floppy lid or one that requires fussing or messing with it to get it stable and fixed in place. The Exo K3 lid is the best I have used, and maybe the newest SG lid. The lid is one of the most important features or designs of a bag to me, and those are the only two I don’t absolutely despise.

prm

WKR
I typically do not use lids because I despise anything baggy or loose on a pack. How well the EXO K4 snugs down when only loaded with day hunt gear will determine whether I even leave the lid on it.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can’t stand a saggy, floppy lid or one that requires fussing or messing with it to get it stable and fixed in place. The Exo K3 lid is the best I have used, and maybe the newest SG lid. The lid is one of the most important features or designs of a bag to me, and those are the only two I don’t absolutely despise.
And that's why I'm asking. I also believe that the lid is crucial and I use it alot. Seems that the k3 has alot of votes.

Randy